fallen trees!

Hercule Q
Hercule Q Posts: 2,781
edited November 2009 in MTB general
i was out earlier on my local trails and i was coming round a berm and what has decided to find a new home?..... Yep you guessed it, a tree :? Now i wouldn't mind if it was on the floor as i could hop it but no this one has found its place resting on another tree so its across the trail AT HEAD HEIGHT! :shock: Needless to say i slammed on the anchors and managed to stop just short of the tree. Whats that how short from the tree? About here....................................to here the peak of my lid just touched the bark 8)

So when you next go out on the trails after high winds just be careful as you never know what has decided to move house.

and yeah i am going up with a saw/axe to remove the offending tree before someone comes round the corner too fast and really hurts themselves.

pinkbike
Blurring the line between bravery and stupidity since 1986!

Comments

• cycling to waskerley cafe one day, just coming from whitehall, the wind was very strong and a old tree there just decided to snap and miss us by a few inches :o how nice, soiled my shreddies though!
  • colintrav
    colintrav Posts: 1,074
    Hercule Q wrote:
    i was out earlier on my local trails and i was coming round a berm and what has decided to find a new home?..... Yep you guessed it, a tree :? Now i wouldn't mind if it was on the floor as i could hop it but no this one has found its place resting on another tree so its across the trail AT HEAD HEIGHT! :shock: Needless to say i slammed on the anchors and managed to stop just short of the tree. Whats that how short from the tree? About here....................................to here the peak of my lid just touched the bark 8)

So when you next go out on the trails after high winds just be careful as you never know what has decided to move house.

and yeah i am going up with a saw/axe to remove the offending tree before someone comes round the corner too fast and really hurts themselves.

Before you leave the house make sure your saw/axed is covered and you have a seriously legit excuse because no polis is gonna believe you if yer headin up the woods way a saw/axe and out of sight because you will get arrested for carryin an offensive weapon and heavy fined and a possible jail sentence ,, your best bet is to let the park rangers know , Then if nowt is done within a certain time scale , get the local press to film you removing the fallen tree ...

.. and put a large visual sign up further up the trail and tape
  • carry a wire saw, not great for cutting stuff. But certainly not an offensive weapon in an obvious way like a saw or an axe.
  • Hercule Q
    Hercule Q Posts: 2,781
    its not fc owned and its not a trail centre

pinkbike
    Blurring the line between bravery and stupidity since 1986!
  • I can't think of a more legitimate reason for carrying a saw/axe.
    Northwind wrote: It's like I covered it in superglue and rode it through ebay.
  • lock1981
    lock1981 Posts: 546
    just bang it in a rucksack!!

how many times you been stopped and searched when riding your bike??
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    You can refuse to be searched if the police can't give you a valid reason. And refusing to let them search you isn't enough for them to assume you're up to no good :wink:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • colintrav
    colintrav Posts: 1,074
    Hercule Q wrote:
    its not fc owned and its not a trail centre

Is the forest council owned or Privately owned ?
  • _Ferret_
    _Ferret_ Posts: 660
    If I was carrying a saw in my rucksack I'd be more worried about falling off and loosing a limb than a policeman lurking in the woods ready to search me...
    You're more likely going to get either caught by a walker, or crashed into by the next poor sod who doesn't know the tree is there.
    :D Happy cutting :D
    Not really active
  • Soggz
    Soggz Posts: 221
    I recently cleared a downhill section of my local trail with a chainsaw carried in a backpack on my bike.(I do have a licence to use the saw though.)