Anyone else found their 'waterproof' clothing wasn't?

pastryboy
pastryboy Posts: 1,385
edited November 2009 in Commuting chat
I was wearing dhb waterproof gloves and DMT waterproof overshoes. They've both been fine in light rain before but today's rain was heavy and continuous. By the time I got home I was just as wet as if I'd not made any effort to be waterproof.

The gloves (which they no longer seem to sell) basically soak in water at the outer part. This holds so much water it makes the inner lining damp. Making a fist has the same effect as squeezing a wet sponge. Utterly useless and can no way be called 'waterproof'.

I don't know where the water was coming in from on the overshoes but it seemed to be at the front. I know a little water would seep in through the tops but my feet were soaked on the soles. When I got home I put the overshoe over the tap and turned it on. Sure enough when it's stetched this 'waterproof' material lets water through.

I was under the impression that if something's waterproof then water runs off it and none gets through - either I'm wrong or waterproof just means it will be ok in trickle of rain.

Can anyone recommened waterproof products that are actually waterproof - keeping my shoes dry is the main concern but dry hands would be nice too.

Comments

• Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    To/from work I don't bother with 'waterproof' clothing. I just get wet as I jump in the shower at either end. Fortunately I only have a 5.5 mile ride, and my internal thermostat is permanently on high :roll:

I thought Goretex stuff were 100% waterproof?
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    Are your overshoes neoprene? If they are neoprene isn't really waterproof that's why wetsuits are wetsuits and drysuits are made out of different stuff.

Goretex stuff and Event stuff is the best waterproof apparently, I've not been botherd by waterproofs until now but I didn't ride all through last winter and I think it's time to get some now.

I saw some goretex gloves in evans today they were really nice but £45 eeek!
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    I suppose £1 magic gloves with disposal rubber gloves as a liner wouldn't work?
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    Were the gloves these ones, dhb Amberly:

I got then and wore them in the rain. Meant to be waterproof, but a total let down in that respect. Warm glove for cold and dry though but why did they say waterproof!!
    Hands were wringing and the gloves took all day to (sort of) dry.

Can't beat Gore Tex gloves, and I have Endura neoprene overshoes. Totaly bone dry.

dhb-amberley-ps-zoom.jpg
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • prawny
    Cafewanda wrote:

I have considered this, haven't tried it yet though might do in the proper cold and wet.
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • I bought a cheap, foldable waterproof jacket from Halfords - it wasn't. Water wicked in through the stitching at the seams. So I bought a bottle of seam-sealer from a camping shop, painted over the seams (on the outside) and now it is truly waterproof (but uglier).
  • Wallace1492
    Cafewanda wrote:

Change that to thinish woollen gloves with a pair of large marigolds on over them.
    You will be waterproof, warm, and happy. On the downside you will look like a pervert.
  • Slow Downcp
    Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    Paint them with Thomsons waterseal (seriously). Water will run right off. I did our caravan awning with it as it was leaking, not a drop gets through now.
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • Change that to thinish woollen gloves with a pair of large marigolds on over them.
    You will be waterproof, warm, and happy. On the downside you will look like a pervert.

:lol:
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Even Goretex and eVent aren't 100% waterproof, they can just get wetter than other fabrics before they let water though.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Change that to thinish woollen gloves with a pair of large marigolds on over them.

How about woollen gloves/silks then marigolds then modesty gloves? All the warm and dry, none of the pervert, all the happy.
  • prawny
    Modesty gloves :?
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • Wallace1492
    Change that to thinish woollen gloves with a pair of large marigolds on over them.

How about woollen gloves/silks then marigolds then modesty gloves? All the warm and dry, none of the pervert, all the happy.

What if you like the pervert look:

381175743_3e417b2be5.jpg
  • pastryboy
    Were the gloves these ones, dhb Amberly:

Yep, that's them.

I don't getting a bit wet (happy to wear shorts in the rain) but my journey is in excess of an hour so I need a little comfort.
  • MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    Thing is that `waterproof' doesn't mean there won't be any water on the inside when riding, it just means it won't have got there by coming through the fabric. If something's been sold as waterproof (not just water resistant, or with a waterproof fabric but untaped seams) then it will be, barring the odd duff one same as with anything else.

Nothing is breathable enough to let all your sweat out and this can build up on the inside surprisingly quickly if you're riding hard, especially if you're not wearing a decent base layer. Once the outer fabric is soaked through this gets worse, but water still won't get through from the outside. It can easily get to the point where you think it's leaking, and IME gloves are particularly bad for this so I never bother with waterproof ones. There are also the big holes where your head and arms go, and water will always get in through them. Don't know the model of overshoes but same applies, and once some water is in there your socks will wick it around.

Of course this is all a bit pedantic and when you're wet you're wet, but I'd be very surprised if you've been sold something as waterproof and it isn't, at least in the techincal sense. Whether you'll stay dry inside it is another story.
  • Sealskinz waterproof socks and gloves keep hands and feet nice and dry.
    'Hello to Jason Isaacs'
  • Sealskinz waterproof socks and gloves keep hands and feet nice and dry.

+1 got both and never have a problem.
  • Looka like my waterproof gear may be given a thorough testing later this morning...
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • verloren
    verloren Posts: 337
    First time wearing my SealSkinz socks in major rain, and they let a load of water in. I worked out that it was because I was wearing 3/4 bib tights; not much good them being waterproof if you don't cover the top up to prevent water soaking in along your leg! Lesson learned for me, and they are an excellent (if uncomfortable) sock.

'09 Enigma Eclipse with SRAM.
    '10 Tifosi CK7 Audax Classic with assorted bits for the wet weather
    '08 Boardman Hybrid Comp for the very wet weather.
  • Aguila
    Aguila Posts: 622
    + 1 for eVent stuff. Totally waterproof and very breathable, despite what Mr Chuck says. Bottom line is you get what you pay for. if you are serious about riding daily all winter and do a decent distance it is totally false economy not to splash out.
  • verloren wrote:
    First time wearing my SealSkinz socks in major rain, and they let a load of water in. I worked out that it was because I was wearing 3/4 bib tights; not much good them being waterproof if you don't cover the top up to prevent water soaking in along your leg! Lesson learned for me, and they are an excellent (if uncomfortable) sock.

me and the other half both have sealskin socks. they're rubbish when its been raining heavy. I even had long tights on over the top and I had puddles in them. seriously thinking of complaining.
  • I'm surprised that nobody has said MTFU yet. MTFU! Its an outdoor activity. Just get on with it...

All joking aside I think there is a limit on how waterproof something is. I've got an Altura nevis that is ok, until its proper pissing it down, then I get a little damp/wet, but I think most of it comes from running down the neck. Wet feet and hands are the worst as you get colder quicker. I'm still in shorts with occasional leg warmers, just get wet legs and a damp top half then shower at each end.
    '11 Cannondale Synapse 105CD - FCN 4
    '11 Schwinn Corvette - FCN 15?
    '09 Pitch Comp - FCN (why bother?) 11
    '07 DewDeluxe (Bent up after being run over) - FCN 8
  • of course you can get totally waterproof clothing (think along north sea fisherman gear)
    but the really waterproof stuff will make you sweat because it doesnt allow moisture from your body to escape into the atmoshere quickly enough when you are riding hard. all the marketing from gore tex and alike sounds wonderful where they tell you that the micropores in their fabrics are so small that it remains waterproof yet still large enough to allow sweat to escape. trust me you will sweat hard in gore tex when you are riding hard and will be uncomfortable.
  • pastryboy
    I'm not concerned with being head to toe waterproof but if my shoes get wet they will take days to dry out and putting wet shoes on and riding in them for two hours a day is not nice particuarly when the mornings start getting frosty.

I've ordered some new gloves which will hopefully fair better. Not sure about overshoes though - people are mentioning eVent but I can't see anywhere that stocks that....?
  • I have the Northwave goretex winter boots, and they seem to be genuinely waterproof.

I do, however, have to stretch my water-resistant tights over the top of them to stop water running down my legs and into the tops of the boots... but this combination has so far resulted in very dry socks! Hurrah!
  • "of course you can get totally waterproof clothing (think along north sea fisherman gear)
    but the really waterproof stuff will make you sweat because it doesnt allow moisture from your body to escape into the atmoshere quickly enough when you are riding hard"

I go fishing in my spare time too, so yes, you can get totally waterproof clothing. I know that. But I also know that its not practical to cycle in. I think its a fine line between the amount of sweat you produce and the amount of rain that comes in through your clothes. I'm happy to be a little sweaty when I get to work, but a lot dryer than not having a 'waterproof' on. I'm ok as I shower and change, but thats not an option for some people. I'll probably splash out on an Endura Stealth in the new year. I like the look of those Softshell things.
    And dont forget the can of spray on re-proofers. They work brilliantly. Never used a wash in one, but they might be worth a go. Or Ronseal it...... :wink:
    '11 Cannondale Synapse 105CD - FCN 4
    '11 Schwinn Corvette - FCN 15?
    '09 Pitch Comp - FCN (why bother?) 11
    '07 DewDeluxe (Bent up after being run over) - FCN 8
  • 0scar
    0scar Posts: 219
    So what would happen if you stuck a soft shell in the wash with a resealer?
    Commuter: Taped-up black Trek 2200 (FCN 5)
    Shiny bike: Pinarello FP2 (FCN 3)
  • the wife and myself out to-day for 4 hours really heavy rain

the wife kit

gore gourtex helmet cover--worked really good hair totally dry
    aldi waterproof jacket-- first class totally dry underneath- wife was fair impressed with this jacket and it only cost £20.Her third time in the rain with the jacket and it has held up excellent.
    overtrousers night vision-- got wet in one leg making winter crusers wet underneath
    overshoes night vision -- worked really well but then she had gourtex boots on as well
    gore bike wear countdown gourtex gloves £45- total crap totally wet to the fingers will be taking these back.

MYself kit

gore gourtex helmet cover first class does what it says on the tin
    endura jacket £50 first class held up well, cant fault it
    sidi waterproof over trousers £15 totally crap trousers underneath wet
    hein gericke gourtex motorcycles gloves- first class really warm and dry
    scarpa gourtex boots- first class feet totally dry, and we went thru tons of holes filled with water along canal bank.I use these in the winter,I take my spd pedals off and put standard pedals on the winter.Dont like to waste my spd shoes and cant get used to overshoe covers.

so going by the above it seems the brand nanes where the worse in heavy rain
  • Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    YES! They DON'T work! Waterproof, windproof, blah, blah...Total rubbish.

I've tried Goretex, XCR 3 layer, other Endura stuff and Nike ACG, et al. Too many to recall.

The companies that advertise these items haven't ridden in North Wales from October - April.

Here's a Challenge; I'll buy the companies range of top, shorts, trousers etc, IF they work.
    Give me samples to try for 6 months, and I'll review them - unlike the Cycling Mags, I don't have to get my wages by adverts - and give an honest review, based on usage over a long term, and not 2 days in the S.Wales trail centres...

As a Professional Mtb/Off Road leader, assessor, I ride year round. Road, Mtb, Commuting.
    COME ON cycling clothing companies, take up my Challenge, if you dare!!!!
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    stuff I've used and if it works as "100% water proof and also breathable so that the user does not get damp" (first YES/NO) also if if it a good bit of kit relatively speaking

1) Altura Nevis coat - it's water proof but doesn't allow out any sweat so I get soaked if it is raining or not NO BAD

2) Freestyle XCR coat - breathes and is water proof. You can't buy these new any more. I threw out my old one as it had a lot of oil on it and holes with duct tape. YES GOOD

3) Montane Velo coat - ultra light weight. Was not water proof new. When new would keep out a light shower for about 2 minutes then leak. Seems a bit better now I have reproofed it but not been in heavy rain. NO but GOOD

4) Paramo Velez coat - breathes very well and is extremely water proof. I have actually ridden for hours in the rain in North Wales in this not gotten wet. Only time I get wet with this on is if I fall in a puddle with the side vents open or if the neck zip is open and water then runs down my neck. This is truely the best coat I have ever bought. YES EXCELLENT

5) Socks. Sealskinz. Yes they are water proof. But the water runs in the top where the foot hole is and doesn't leak out of the bottom of the socks. So you end up with bags of water around your feet. NO but SO-SO

6) Gloves, neoprene. I got a very reasonablely priced pair from Mike Dyson. 100% water proof, just like rubber washing up gloves. But they do not breathe at all so you will get sweaty hands instead of rain-wet hands NO BAD

7) Gore Action II tights. These are made of windstopper softshell. They are not advertised as "water proof" but are wind proof and somewhat water resistant. If you iron them correctly after washing then light showers will bead off. The wind resistance means that even when they are wet you are not necessarily cold. They also dry out well.
    NO but GOOD

8) Gloves, Sealskinz caving gloves. With the little "dots" of grippy material on. Not bke specific. Fairly water proof for the first year. But after that not at all. Keep hands damp but warm to temperatures down to approx 2C NO but GOOD

9) BBB Waterflex overshoes. I have had these about a month now. They seem pretty good. Are they 100% water proof and breathable? No. Are they much better than the alternative? Yes NO but GOOD

10) Northwave Celcius winter MTB boots. These are water proof if you step in a puddle but are not in normal cycling use for the same reason as the sealskinz socks, ie the hole at the top for the foot. NO SO-SO