First Time at a Trail Centre- Delamere Forest.

Duggan13
Duggan13 Posts: 75
edited November 2009 in MTB beginners
Okay, so I have finally received my first 'proper' mountain bike and am itching to get out and use it properly. Things I guess to bear in mind are that I haven't really rode a bike since I was about 13 I guess (other than 1 trip along the Trans Pennine Way on mates a few weeks ago) and I am thus a complete novice.

Furthermore, I am not fit and due to an ankle injury I haven't even been out running or anything for a fair while so am doubtless actually very unfit.

So my plan is this:

After a few local trips (South Manchester), take a day off work in the week and get the train from Manchester to Delamere and the ride to Delamere Forest.

There, try out a few modest trails and (hopefully) enjoy myself and get familiarised with the bike and being offroad. And well, hopefully pop my cherry, so to speak. (Metaphorically).

Does this sound like a reasonable idea? Specifically in the sense that:

Will it be fairly self-evident which trails I should be attempting? (i.e easy ones). I do intend to buy a map from the centre.

Will Delamere Forest be a good place to begin some off-road biking or is there somewhere nearer South Manchester that would be more appropriate for me?

Is there any obvious (to everyone else) must-know etiquette I should be aware of? I don't want to get in anyone's way, pi*ss anyone off or worse.

Maybe I should be working a lot longer on my general fitness by riding around my local area much more first?

clearly it would be much better if I could go with someone but none of my mates are interested apart from one who is buying a bike in January. So for the minute, it is go by myself or not at all.

Any advice, help, direction would be gratefully appreciated, even if it's just 'That sounds fine, go for it'

Comments

• biff55
    biff55 Posts: 1,404
    im in similar position as you duggan , back in saddle after 13 years away from biking.
    all i can say is just enjoy whatever ride you feel comfortable with , simples.
    me personally , i ride round town during week for fitness then hit off road trails at wk-end
    for fun.
    as for ettiquette , let quicker guys pass as soon as u can and be alert to other users of where u ride.
    now go forth ! :D
  • lfcquin
    lfcquin Posts: 470
    Delemere isn't a bad place to start. The trails are mostly quite wide and straight forward, there are hills, but they tend to be short so are over quickly. The train station is next to the cafe and round the corner from what could be described as the trail centre. I honestly don't know if they do maps, I have never stopped to ask. I guess it is possible to get lost in the forest but most of the routes are marked and I don't think you would have many problems.
  • omegas
    omegas Posts: 970
    The 2 routes around Delemere are fireroads , not very long and not challenging more of a place to take the kids on a Sunday afternoon. There is a 4x track and skills area that the local scallies hang around and last time I went there was in a bit of disrepair.

If you can get to somewhere like Llandegla and try the blue trail a few times would be better for building up your skill level and fitness.
  • Cool, cheers for the advice everyone :)

Sounds like I'll give Delemere a go, but I'll bear in mind that it's not too taxing so will take stock after that and consider Llandegla.

I don't currently have access to a car so part of the appeal of Delemere is the proximity of the train station, for the minute.

I shall report back, though may be a while depending if I can get any time off work :roll:
  • compo
    compo Posts: 1,370
    If you are off on Friday, a few of us are going on the train from Manchester if you wanna come?
  • jay12
    jay12 Posts: 6,306
    compo wrote:
    If you are off on Friday, a few of us are going on the train from Manchester if you wanna come?
    yep, i'm the leader btw :wink:
    if you want to come with us send me a pm or go to this link
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12641863&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=480
  • mac_man
    mac_man Posts: 918
    Get on the train to Todmorden/Hebden Bridge from Victoria. Some great trails to be had in Calderdale. Everything from beginners to some quite technically challenging stuff.
    Cool, retro and sometimes downright rude MTB and cycling themed T shirts. Just MTFU.

By day: http://www.mtfu.co.uk
  • mac_man
    mac_man Posts: 918
    Get on the train to Todmorden/Hebden Bridge from Victoria. Some great trails to be had in Calderdale. Everything from beginners to some quite technically challenging stuff.
    Cool, retro and sometimes downright rude MTB and cycling themed T shirts. Just MTFU.

By day: http://www.mtfu.co.uk
  • jay12 wrote:
    compo wrote:
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12641863&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=480

Cheers both, that's a very kind offer indeed- unfortunately for me I am on a stag do in Liverpool all weekend, wearing Halloween fancy dress (I am told :? )

Is it a regular thing though? If so, I'll check back to that thread^^^ in future and perhaps see if I am free another time..
  • mac man wrote:

Nice one mac man, duly noted 8)
  • jay12
    Duggan13 wrote:
    jay12 wrote:
    compo wrote:

Cheers both, that's a very kind offer indeed- unfortunately for me I am on a stag do in Liverpool all weekend, wearing Halloween fancy dress (I am told :? )

Is it a regular thing though? If so, I'll check back to that thread^^^ in future and perhaps see if I am free another time..
    yep quite a regular thing
  • Llandegla is doable by train in to Wrexham and a wee cycle up the hill. or shout someone commin by your way and they could make room for ya... I try to get out to Llandeglka with a few mates at least once or twice a month over the winter oyu are welcome to join us if your up for it. I'm based in Liverpool. We are all relatative noobs or comming back from injury, so it blue/red at mo rather than red/black. Llandegla will begin to push up your skills esp withthe skill and pump trak too.

Here's hopin you have sweet rides and cold beers!

Ratty
  • oh, we range in age from 16 - 45 yrs, so you wont get left behind.
  • nick1962
    nick1962 Posts: 156
    I wouldn't call Delamere forest a trail centre as an earlier post has already said. If you live in Manchester get in touch with Manchester Mountain bike Riders meet up group if you want to meet some biking buddies.
    There's lots of good riding around the River Mersey in Stockport and in Reddish Vale,far better than Delamere and on your doorstep(?).Get some miles under your belt here first then try out the trail centres.There's lots of of interesting local loops off most rivers, canals and railway lines and finding them :D is really rewarding and half the fun...just get out and ride!
  • nick1962 wrote:
    I wouldn't call Delamere forest a trail centre as an earlier post has already said. If you live in Manchester get in touch with Manchester Mountain bike Riders meet up group if you want to meet some biking buddies.
    There's lots of good riding around the River Mersey in Stockport and in Reddish Vale,far better than Delamere and on your doorstep(?).Get some miles under your belt here first then try out the trail centres.There's lots of of interesting local loops off most rivers, canals and railway lines and finding them :D is really rewarding and half the fun...just get out and ride!

Cool, the info about River Mersery in Stockport and Reddish Vale sounds encouraging- I'm about 15-20min away from Stockport so I'll get on this soon, cheers!
  • Hey Duggan! Yeah Delamere is fantastic, had my first solo outing there a few weeks back now, nice and easy on the waymarked trails, but if you feel adventurous theres singletrack to cater, for a total beginner I would give the skills area a miss for riding, quite scary jumps if you have never done anything like that before...good to watch though! On another note, where in Stockport/Reddish Vale Nick??
  • nick1962
    nick1962 Posts: 156
    Opposite the 24 hour Tesco next to the M60 junction 27. Just follow the paths up the valley to Reddish Vale then be prepared to get off the paths and ride through the woods downhill! There are lots of loops in the woods along the river towards Bredbury/Haughton Green in Holt wood, Horse close wood and Hulmes wood.Look on google maps.There are XC routes all the way ouit to Werneth Low and beyond.Watch out for dog walkers and Gorton or Brinnington scallies in the Vale! :D
    Mind you if you live in Glossop you've got better on your doorstep Noizetek
  • Steve_b77
    Steve_b77 Posts: 1,680
    Delamere Forest is a nice place to get used to you bike and starting riding off road.

Once you get used to it, there are literally miles and miles of single track, log crossings, skinny log bridges, jumps, bomb, streams to ride through.

There's more than enough for 2 to 3 hours of riding without hardly touching the actual blue & white trails (mainly if not all fire road).

I live less than 1/2 mile from the station so ride there quite alot when time doesn't allow adventures further affield (?)
  • nick1962 wrote:
    Opposite the 24 hour Tesco next to the M60 junction 27. Just follow the paths up the valley to Reddish Vale then be prepared to get off the paths and ride through the woods downhill! There are lots of loops in the woods along the river towards Bredbury/Haughton Green in Holt wood, Horse close wood and Hulmes wood.Look on google maps.There are XC routes all the way ouit to Werneth Low and beyond.Watch out for dog walkers and Gorton or Brinnington scallies in the Vale! :D
    Mind you if you live in Glossop you've got better on your doorstep Noizetek

Cool, well I am kinda getting bored with the local routes so I am expanding my hgorizons so to speak, but im a stocky lad born and bred and have never even been down Reddish Vale!! The thought of the scallies is generally the reason behind not bothering, lol.
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    Another alternative is Gisburn Forest near Clitheroe. A little more challenging but if you stick to the bottom loop with the blue sections and fireroad you should be fine. Probably a bit more exciting than Delamere plus when you get fitter and better there's loads more stuff to progress too (better than Llandegla too, although I would say that as I've built some of the stuff at Gisburn :wink: ).
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • compo
    stumpyjon wrote:
    Another alternative is Gisburn Forest near Clitheroe. A little more challenging but if you stick to the bottom loop with the blue sections and fireroad you should be fine. Probably a bit more exciting than Delamere plus when you get fitter and better there's loads more stuff to progress too .
    +1
  • Mark909
    Mark909 Posts: 456
    Steve_b77 wrote:
    Delamere Forest is a nice place to get used to you bike and starting riding off road.

Once you get used to it, there are literally miles and miles of single track, log crossings, skinny log bridges, jumps, bomb, streams to ride through.

There's more than enough for 2 to 3 hours of riding without hardly touching the actual blue & white trails (mainly if not all fire road).

(?)

Hi Steve where abouts are the miles of single track? Theres a trail next to the railway track if you head down from the carpark. You can follow it along a bit back onto the forest track then head down some more singletrack and end up at the skills section.

I would be really happy if you could tell me which way to head! :)
  • jay12
    Mark909 wrote:
    Steve_b77 wrote:

(?)

Hi Steve where abouts are the miles of single track? Theres a trail next to the railway track if you head down from the carpark. You can follow it along a bit back onto the forest track then head down some more singletrack and end up at the skills section.

i can tell you which way to head. i have been there alot of times and we have a forum meet there about every month
  • Mark909
    jay12 wrote:
    Mark909 wrote:
    Steve_b77 wrote:

(?)

i can tell you which way to head. i have been there alot of times and we have a forum meet there about every month

Thanks Jay after being there a few times ive managed to find a bit of single track by heading off the forest tracks. Ill normally come out at the bottom of the skills section just after you go across a stream and come out onto forest track next to a bench if you know where i mean. I wonder where are the miles of single track as thats all ive been able to find. Thanks for any help! :)
  • jay12
    Mark909
    there is a lot of unoficiall singletrack which i managed to find and it's reallly good fun
  • Mark909
    jay12 wrote:
    Mark909
    there is a lot of unoficiall singletrack which i managed to find and it's reallly good fun

Thanks jay could you give me a pointer in the right direction. Ive been round the forest a few times so would sort of have an idea if you give me a description where to go :)
  • jay12
    turn on the bridge before the visitor centre. turn right and right again and follow the path.

go past the visitor centre, keep going straight then turn left at a gate, climb up the hill then go to the top, go down on the tarmac then past the second left turn turn left into a path and then turn right.

your welcome to come to the next outing wich should be near christmas or come with me on the 27th november
  • compo
    Mark909
    whereabouts do you live
    Check the Manchester 16 riders in the Rides bit to se when we are going and come along
    We have now branched out to all ages so don't be shy - PM one of us :)