Commuting Lights.....advice pls

vitesse169
vitesse169 Posts: 422
edited December 2009 in Commuting chat
Hi, I'm in the market for a new front light for commuting. I am looking at the niterider mi newt mini usb plus or the electron ehp325. Do any of the regular commuters have either of these, or any knowledge of them? Are they worth the money/purchasing ?

Comments

• Not seen the electron in action but it's a lot of stuff around the bike. The Ixon IQ is in the same price bracket as the electron and is excellent. I'm into my 3rd winter with mine. It easily out performs the MiNewt.
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    I'd for for one of the Fenix range. I've had a Niterider Minewt for the last 18 months, and have been through two of them, they've both died spontaneously leaving me stranded in the middle of nowhere. The Fenix certainly seemed brighter last night, and they're a damn site cheeper as well.
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    Magicshine from geoman, dealextreme or bestofferbuy.

MJ808LHwatermark.jpg

I went past my boss on the pavement on wednesday he said he wasn't sure it was me because he couldn't see past the light. I had it on low power :twisted:

Oh and from £50 depending on where you get it from.

Edit to add beamshot

MagicShine+HA+III.JPG

:shock:
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • That magicshine looks pretty damn good - where can I get one ?
  • prawny
    vitesse169 wrote:
    That magicshine looks pretty damn good - where can I get one ?

Online only ATM

bestofferbuy.com (where I got mine but apparently out of stock until 20.11.09)
    dealextreme.com (cheap but can take 3 weeks delivery)
    Geomangear.com (us site with goo feedback, slithly more expensive but you get 5 modes instead of three)
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Magicshine on the bars.

Fenix L20D (or similar) on the helmet - so you have a backup if anything goes wrong.

Perfect.
  • I use a Magicshine on the bars, Fenix LD20 on my helmet. Spooky!
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    I also use a MagicShine on the bars and a Fenix L2D on my helmet!!!! Freak time :)

Or we just know quality 8)
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • My P7 just arrived today. Took 4 weeks to get here but BLOODY HELL!
    Worth the wait and only £51 from Deal Extreme.
  • prawny
    I'm goin to get a fenix for my lid I feel left out now.

How do yall mount them?
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • I use the Fenix Twofish Lockblock. I've taken out the 'bottom' velcro strip and used zip-ties to attach it to my helmet...it's perfect.

Mount it loose first of all and get the angle right, standing off the bike the beam will point a lot higher than it will when in the riding position.

The turbo strobe absolutely rocks, hehehe!
  • markp2
    markp2 Posts: 162
    Any P7 light from Deal Extreme (DX) for about $50 will be excellent compared to what we can get in a LBS for similar money. Just remember to get some batteries, a charger and a bar mount. They run on funny battery sizes (3.7v) which I haven't come across here.
    I think the P7 bit refers to the type of bulb in the torch. Others on this site will be able to confirm this.
    Cheers, Mark
    Genesis Croix de Fer - my new commuting mount
    Saracen Hytrail - the workhorse - now pensioned off
    Kinetic-One FK1 roadie - the fast one - hairy legs though!
    Cannondale Jekyll Lefty MTB - the muddy one which keeps tipping me into gorse bushes!
  • downfader
    downfader Posts: 3,686
    I also like the B&M Ixon IQ (and some of their other products). Nearly bought one myself as I think £70 is a bargain for what you get (compare it with a cateye of similar price and you'll see why).

If you have the money Exposure lights are also great. As are Hope. It depends on what you're looking for, even a £12 tesco torch (now sadly 1w instead of the 3w LED) will have its uses.

I love lights. I must have a collection of about 20 by now. :oops:
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    edited December 2009
    Just placed an order with bestofferbuy for the P7 900 Lumen. I guess they wait until the payment clears (is Paypal eCheque the only payment method?) before they dispatch which means 7-9 working days. How long are these lights taking to get to the UK once they've been dispatched?
    More problems but still living....
  • I do fancy getting a Fenix, for the money they can't be bad.

I have the Exposure Joystick & Redeye - the convenience of a front & rear running from the same battery - and that battery being integrated into the front light is great.

I did fancy the Minewt USB to allow sneaky workplace charging but the performance just didn't look up to the job really.

As much of my commute is in pitch darkness I would be tempted to buy another exposure light at some point giving me 2 chargers for home & work, and a bit more than the 240 lumens of the joystick.

The Redeye is fantastic, very very visible from distance.
  • downfader
    downfader Posts: 3,686
    I do fancy getting a Fenix, for the money they can't be bad.

I have the Exposure Joystick & Redeye - the convenience of a front & rear running from the same battery - and that battery being integrated into the front light is great.

I did fancy the Minewt USB to allow sneaky workplace charging but the performance just didn't look up to the job really.

As much of my commute is in pitch darkness I would be tempted to buy another exposure light at some point giving me 2 chargers for home & work, and a bit more than the 240 lumens of the joystick.

The Redeye is fantastic, very very visible from distance.

If you fancy a new Exposure their new ones look great. Theres a really mad bright one there too (Maxx D - a guy at work has it and it rocks. It rocks HARD! :lol: )