A defensive D shackle??

baronsouthside
baronsouthside Posts: 64
edited November 2009 in Commuting chat
Iv read a few threads that people have said to use your D shackle against drivers/cars etc that have just caused near misses or drivers that shout abuse.

Surely riders dont actually do this, or do they? Has anyone done this?
Maybe its a london thing?

By the time i got of my bike, got my rucksack off & shackle out, the driver would be half way up the road. Seems a bit extreme to me or is it just wishful thinking?
If i aint riding it, then im thinking about riding it.

Comments

• I think just having it hanging off the handlebars is good for a visual deterrent.
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    snailracer wrote:
    I think just having it hanging off the handlebars is good for a visual deterrent.

There's an old African saying:

"Talk softly but carry a big D-Lock"

Cheers,
    W.
  • Iv read a few threads that people have said to use your D shackle against drivers/cars etc that have just caused near misses or drivers that shout abuse.

Surely riders dont actually do this, or do they? Has anyone done this?
    Maybe its a london thing?

By the time i got of my bike, got my rucksack off & shackle out, the driver would be half way up the road. Seems a bit extreme to me or is it just wishful thinking?

Just use the whole rucksack! Gives the D-Lock extra momentum :lol:
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    snailracer wrote:
    I think just having it hanging off the handlebars is good for a visual deterrent.

There's an old African saying:

"Talk softly but carry a big D-Lock"

Cheers,
    W.

............. and here was I thinking the last word was 'stick' :)
  • amnezia
    amnezia Posts: 590
    Yes this is common practise in London.

People ride around swinging d-locks at anything that gets in their way. :roll:
  • One could combine a D-lock with a chunky chain and swing it around above one's head, emitting a Tarzan-style howl for added effect.
  • Soul Boy
    Soul Boy Posts: 359
    You really need a holster to keep it handy.....

http://www.fabrichorse.com/index.php?page=lockholsters
  • sicknote
    sicknote Posts: 901
    There is a link on the site that shows someone using a d lock to defend himself from someone, stops the guy in his tracks.