Boardman new limited edition Hybrid pro 2010

mcleani199
mcleani199 Posts: 7
edited November 2009 in Commuting chat
Hi all anyone seen this yet £999, what do folks think of the bike . No discs, is this better (lighter) or worse (braking not as good?) I'm in the better camp as I'm old school have never had a bike with discs so don;t know what i'm missing (if I am). However am a bit confused as web site says limited edition numbered and signed 1-250. Does this mean there only selling 250 of them or its just that the first 250 are numbered and signed? i also prever the colour scheme on this.

Thanks for your views

iain

Comments

• prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    Discs aren't really needed on road bikes, they're nice when it's wet but decent pads on rim brakes are adequate. Discs are also heavier than rim brakes.

There are only going to be 250 of these bikes after they're gone.

The boarman bikes are good, depending on how handy you are with bikes buying from halfords can be a pain, I got my boardman through halfords and I've learnt a lot about bike set up and maintenance because they couldn't do it.

If your set on a fast hyrbid these are good, don't know if I personally would spen that much on one though, the consumable parts will be expensive to replace.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    You could think of rim brakes as natural ABS, wet rims=less braking to overwhelm the tyres grip on a wet road.....discs are heavier, longer cables, heavier 'calliper', heavier hubs + discs and bolts, less tiny weight saving possible on thinner rims (rarely realised) probably by about 500g over the whole bike.

My Commuter has discs, but then thats the bits I had laying around!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    prawny wrote:
    Discs aren't really needed on road bikes, they're nice when it's wet

I've always used rim brakes but my next (commuter) bike will have discs, just to see if you are right or wrong
    It's often wet in Devon
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,167
    Iain,

I've got the regular (non-limited edition) Pro Ltd which is the same bike apart from different brakes and a lick of paint. They're only selling 250 of them to keep them 'exclusive' - not a word you usually associate with Halfords :D .

Brake-wise there was another thread on this. Don't think the lack of disc brakes should be an issue though personally I prefer to have them for the odd time when it might matter - like having to pull up sharply when tanking it down a hill in the wet. also not sure why they went to the trouble of putting rim brakes on when the standard version was already in production with discs - unless the marketing department got involved?

I think its a good bike for the money, and does what it's designed for (commuting) well: go for it.

Steve.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    vorsprung wrote:
    prawny wrote:
    Discs aren't really needed on road bikes, they're nice when it's wet

I've always used rim brakes but my next (commuter) bike will have discs, just to see if you are right or wrong
    It's often wet in Devon

Problem is on tarmac with thin tires you'll probably just leave black lines everywhere :D

I've got discs on my MTB but I don't think power wise they're much better than V's unless it's really wet.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • Hi all thanks for your responses- I think the wheels are different as well- certainly look different and make the bike lok nicer IMHO- was originally put off as I still don't think I need discs- although after a mighty crash in the wet as a result of not being able to stop quickly enough in the wet may change my mind on this !!

cheers all

iain
  • markp2
    markp2 Posts: 162
    I have just changed my commuter bike to one with discs. It has been wet on every ride so far. I wouldn't go back to rim brakes now. The disc braking is much more progressive in the wet. You pull on the lever and you slow down. Sounds daft, but on my previous bike you pulled on the lever and nothing happened for a couple of seconds. Panic sets in so you pull harder, then the brakes started to work too well and a wheel would lock!
    Genesis Croix de Fer - my new commuting mount
    Saracen Hytrail - the workhorse - now pensioned off
    Kinetic-One FK1 roadie - the fast one - hairy legs though!
    Cannondale Jekyll Lefty MTB - the muddy one which keeps tipping me into gorse bushes!
  • your right markp2 now that you mention it- this happens to me on my current bike- Hmmm decisions decisions disc or no disc, disc or no disc