Guilty Displeasures

prawny
prawny Posts: 5,439
edited November 2009 in Commuting chat
Friday thread time yet? (i'm bored)

Is there something that you know you should like but you just can't?

Classic literature is something I know I'm supposed to like but I read jekyll and hyde and it's shit.

Also Black Sabbath, what's the big deal? (oh no he didn't!)
Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017

Comments

• Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    Robert Burns. Some is ok, but most is pure tosh, but I SHOULD like it......
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • yakk
    yakk Posts: 589
    'On the road' Kerouac. Allegedly cool, not even about bikes(':wink:')
    and a load of self-indulgent drivel!
    Yak
  • Coriander
    Coriander Posts: 1,326
    Yakk wrote:
    'On the road' Kerouac. Allegedly cool, not even about bikes(':wink:')
    and a load of self-indulgent drivel!
    Yak

+ 1,000,000

I loathe that book. I keep trying it, but, like you, get utterly fed up with the self-indulgent drivel. I don't think I've ever got beyond page 74.

My other thing is music - I just don't seem to feel the need for it and rarely (maybe once a month for half an hour) listen to it - possibly if I'm cooking and Gardener's Question Time is on radio 4.

I do love a good bop, though, but that's all music is good for - dancing to.
  • Any book by Charles Dickens. Boring! I've tried to read Oliver Twist about half a dozen times and never got beyond the first page.

Actually, I'll amend that, hs short ghost stories are quite good.
    FCN 6 in the week on the shiny new single speed.

FCN 3 at the weekend - struggling to do it justice!
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Dickens - basically all of his work.
    The Beatles - nope, sorry, don't get them at all. Give me Led Zep, the Who, the Stones, but not the Beatles.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    beatles are just pop don't care for them one bit apart from the odd song

Prawny.. Black Sabbath??? Awesome band, not great live now though as Ozzy is utter cack on stage now and can't sing anymore
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Sweden.

I just could not get the hang of that country - imagine Ice Germany and you're there. Love Denmark though, so it's not scandinophobia.
  • Ditto on the Dickens. I've had a copy of Tale of Two Titties for ages and I've read the digested version but can't get past first chapter...
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • Coriander
    The Beatles - nope, sorry, don't get them at all. Give me Led Zep, the Who, the Stones, but not the Beatles.

I've never even tried Dickens - there's just something that screams dullsville at me.
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Dancing. I wish I liked it - have you ever met a woman who doesn't like a man who likes dancing? - but I can't fake it. It only happens when I am both very happy and very drunk.

Rock music. Like CP says, there are some decent tunes but most music that can be described as rock is depressingly unsubtle, derivative and boring. Pop music, on the other hand, is playful, unpretentious and disposable, and as such it gives itself vastly more room to be interesting (among, of course, vast swathes of stuff that could be described exactly as I've described rock.

On a similar subject - Pink Floyd. They're just RUBBISH. And, impressively, they've been rubbish in every single incarnation, from 60s Barrett nonsense onwards. No good songs, ever! See also The Doors (even worse, if that's possible).
  • biondino
    Away from music, I'll go for Xmas presents. I like receiving them from my gf, and from one or two other people who are clever and original, or just perceptive. Otherwise, it's embarrassing and useless.

Though not as embarrassing and useless as I feel giving presents. I can be inspired at times, but often I'm not and I will literally find reasons to be out of the room when someone is opening a present from my unless I'm really pleased with what I got them,
  • +10000000 the beatles.
    Kings of Leon
    Michael Macintyre
    Most 'classic' literature - Bronte's Austen etc.
    thomas hardy especially - tedious beyond reason
  • Cats - we have had three to offset my misses fear of mice, everyone else in the house loves our big fat ginger tom called Percy. I just do not like them Sam I am.

Rolling Stones - with the exception of "Midnight Mile" (which is fantastic) they have never done it for me

James Joyce - Ullyses not past page 10 (tried at least a dozen times)

Skiing - irrational but I hate it and the associated enthusiasm.
    No Babbit No, Look what Birdy doing
  • biondino
    Michael McIntyre? Just because a fair proportion of the lowest common denominator like him, I don't think that means you're supposed to...

James Joyce I can agree with. I gave up on Portrait of an Artist having been more annoyed with it than any other book I've ever read (well, perhaps a tie with the DREADFUL "Licey's Story" by Stephen King. My ex's favourite novel was Ulysses, though, and I have a copy of both it and a (just as lengthy) guide to how to read it.
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    The Office - work in one, everyone says I will love it - I hate it.
    AC/DC - mates all like them, even went to see then at Hampden, a good night out spoiled by the music!!
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • James Joyce - Ullyses not past page 10 (tried at least a dozen times)

I'll see your James Joyce and raise you a Marcel Proust! I've thoroughly enjoyed near enough every 'classic' I've read, but I found In Search of Lost Time to be a load of incredibly longwinded pretentious guff.

Agree re skiing; I think it's the fact that keen skiers always seem to be so evangelical about it. I like cycling and that's enough for me, I wouldn't dream of nagging anyone to go on a cycling holiday, but the amount of times I've had to listen politely as someone bangs on about how I'd simply love skiing as I'm an outdoorsy type and it's not that expensive you know and you'll pick it up really quickly and it's so good to be in the pure mountain air and it's actually a really good workout and you can drive down to the Alps in a day you know and you don't need to buy all the stuff you can hire it and the apres ski parties are soooo much fun and Rupert and Jocasta have a chalet in Verbier and you can actually get a good tan and you can ski straight from the front door of the hotels and you can try snowboarding too and did I tell you about the time that Rupert strayed onto a black run and F*** OFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Aaah, I feel better for that.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Literature full stop, I'm sort of ashamed to say.

Read The Illiad. It took marginally less than time than the bleedin' war itself. Lots of other stuff I try reading, but can't get into. Pride and Prejudice was very funny, but that's the exception to the rule. Tried reading Emma. Wasn't going to happen. Same with Nostromo by Joseph Conrad.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Coriander
    nasahapley wrote:
    James Joyce - Ullyses not past page 10 (tried at least a dozen times)

I'll see your James Joyce and raise you a Marcel Proust! I've thoroughly enjoyed near enough every 'classic' I've read, but I found In Search of Lost Time to be a load of incredibly longwinded pretentious guff.

Agree re skiing; I think it's the fact that keen skiers always seem to be so evangelical about it. I like cycling and that's enough for me, I wouldn't dream of nagging anyone to go on a cycling holiday, but the amount of times I've had to listen politely as someone bangs on about how I'd simply love skiing as I'm an outdoorsy type and it's not that expensive you know and you'll pick it up really quickly and it's so good to be in the pure mountain air and it's actually a really good workout and you can drive down to the Alps in a day you know and you don't need to buy all the stuff you can hire it and the apres ski parties are soooo much fun and Rupert and Jocasta have a chalet in Verbier and you can actually get a good tan and you can ski straight from the front door of the hotels and you can try snowboarding too and did I tell you about the time that Rupert strayed onto a black run and F*** OFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:lol::lol:
  • biondino
    nasahapley wrote:

I feel pretty much the same way about surfers and surfing. Yeah you get to spend loads of time on the beach and you're invariably good-looking and muscular and somehow laid back and funny and chicks love you and I am so jealous I hate you so much!!!
  • Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348

+1

Football, I know I'm a bloke, and I've tried to like it for my kids sake, but give me Rugby or Cricket any day
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • d21dga
    d21dga Posts: 113
    cjcp wrote:

Read The Illiad. It took marginally less than time than the bleedin' war itself. Lots of other stuff I try reading, but can't get into. Pride and Prejudice was very funny, but that's the exception to the rule. Tried reading Emma. Wasn't going to happen. Same with Nostromo by Joseph Conrad.

+1
    Of the few 'classics' I've read, nearly all of them have bored me to death. The last one was the so-called 'thriller' The Secret Agent. I've never felt so robbed of valuable hours of my life than when I finished that. I'd much rather read anything non-fiction such as interesting biographies or books on science/economics etc any day of the week.

Also +1 to The Beatles (boring)
  • Another +1 for the Beatles.

For me it's cinema and TV. I do quite a good line in music, can talk a good game on literature (you kind of had to to read English), but cinema doesn't do it for me at all. Sure, I like, y'know, the Incredibles, Harry Potter, that sort of thing, but the vast majority of films that you 'have to' see I've never cared to watch. I've tried with a couple of them, but it just isn't something I enjoy.

Same applies with the vast majority of TV. I just don't care about it - I sky+ CSI Vegas and NY (Miami has been dropped), Ugly Betty and House. It only bothers me if I miss House. I have tried Lost, The Wire, Spooks, various others, but I just don't care for them!
  • iPad
    iPad Posts: 112
    Catcher in the Rye, JD Salinger

The book Mark Chapman was reading before he shot John Lennon.

I read it, I just thought it was bollox, didn't make me want to murder a rock star (well no more that usual).

BTW for all you Beatle haters out there, you're all entitled to an opinion, even if you are wrong..! :wink:
    I know the voices in my head aren't real, but they have such great ideas
  • prawny
    @CP I know it's weird I've tried but apart from the obvious It's just not my bag. Maybe if I'd been there at the time I might have got it?

@ Rich agree on football it's carp, everyone at work bangs on about it too it does my head in.

I hate gritty british films too like This is England no it's not, it's nothing like that where I live. Tossbags :evil:
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    d21dga wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

+1
    Of the few 'classics' I've read, nearly all of them have bored me to death. The last one was the so-called 'thriller' The Secret Agent. I've never felt so robbed of valuable hours of my life than when I finished that. I'd much rather read anything non-fiction such as interesting biographies or books on science/economics etc any day of the week.

Oh God - The Secret Agent - did that for English A Level. Bored me to tears. Enjoyed Heart of Darkness but it wasn't on the syllabus.
  • prawny

(Miami has been dropped),

Agreed I just can't bring myself to not watch it. It's sooo bad but I watch it anyway and just shake my head.
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • d21dga
    d21dga Posts: 113
    d21dga wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

+1

Oh God - The Secret Agent - did that for English A Level. Bored me to tears. Enjoyed Heart of Darkness but it wasn't on the syllabus.

:shock: It was bad enough just reading it - and that was my choice! Can't imagine having to analyse endlessly it as well :evil:
  • Lbaguley
    Lbaguley Posts: 161
    Rich158 wrote:
    Football, I know I'm a bloke, and I've tried to like it for my kids sake, but give me Rugby or Cricket any day

+1 (without the kids bit, but to be able to join in conversations with flatmate/down the pub)

Muse, Russell Brand and any number of 'comedy' shows on TV (except The Thick of It, which is bordering on genius).
  • Oddjob62
    Oddjob62 Posts: 1,056
    Rich158 wrote:

I'm with you on that one.
    As yet unnamed (Dolan Seta)
    Joelle (Focus Expert SRAM)
  • Retch
    Retch Posts: 78
    Olives
    Liver (that one's for you mam)
    The Beatles

and

Holidays

Can't stand holidays.
    FCN 5ish. Unless hungover.