Weighing my bike?

wilkij1975
wilkij1975 Posts: 532
edited November 2009 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi All

I'm sorry if this has been covered else where but I couldn't find it.

I want to weigh my bike and want to know the best way to do it? (it just won't go on the kitchen or bathroom scales :D ) I'm not obsessed by the weight of it but it'd be nice to know and see if I can get it down.

Cheers for any help.

Comments

• njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    It'll weigh more than you think and depress you. Don't bother.

The obvious way is to weigh yourself on the bathroom scales, then pick the bike up and weigh the combined weight. Not vastly accurate, but it'll give you an indication.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    the best way.

take it to a bike shop that has some calibrated scales.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    stand on your bathroom scales, get them turned on (assume digital) so they zero with your weight, pick up bike, bike weight displayed (to nearest 1/2Kg anyway!)

OR strip bike back to single components and rebuild weighing everything on the wifes kitchen scales, ideal for future upgrades as you know the weight of EVERY part! (commuter weighs in at 12076g including nearly 1Kg of steel rack that has to go!)

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    The sum total of the parts is nearly always less than the total weight though, very inaccurate way of doing it. Compound error and not including grease etc.
  • I'm an angler an I use fishing scales.
    A fishing tackle shop will probably weigh a bike for you, if you turn up when they aren't busy.
    *Rock Lobster Team Tig SL (22lb 14oz)
    *C. Late 1950's Fixed Gear
    *1940 Raleigh Dawn Tourist with rod brakes
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    njee20 wrote:
    The sum total of the parts is nearly always less than the total weight though, very inaccurate way of doing it. Compound error and not including grease etc.
    Actually it will usually end up heavier as most cheaper digital scales round up earlier than they should, easy to weigh the few grams of grease if you want to.....pot on scales, ter, weigh grease removed, weigh rag, wipe and weigh grease on rag - tada!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • Pop into Boots or WHSmith and get a set of luggage scales - think I paid £5.99 for mine.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    A decent quality fishing scale will do the job. A calibrated bike scale will be marginally more accurate but it shouldn't make a massive difference (I checked my fishing scale with 10kg and 15kgs of bench weights and it came up within 20 grams each way, which is a trivial error)

Bikes are too light for most bathroom scales, but if you weigh yourself then weigh yourself holding the bike, then take away your weight, you'll get a fairly accurate weight. But it'll still have a fair error, these things are usually not very precise.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    The bathroom scales test can be very depressing.
    Proflex - 25lbs :D
    Cannondale - 32lbs :(
  • afcbian
    afcbian Posts: 424
    KISS !
    weigh yourself on your bathroom scales and note the weight.
    Do the same again but this time holding your bike.
    Then simply take the first weight away from the second.
    Hey presto !
    I ride therefore I am
  • Northwind wrote:
    10kg and 15kgs of bench weights and it came up within 20 grams each way
    Its as likely that the bench weights are out, unless they were ISO certified / traceable weights? :wink:
    *Rock Lobster Team Tig SL (22lb 14oz)
    *C. Late 1950's Fixed Gear
    *1940 Raleigh Dawn Tourist with rod brakes
  • Northwind
    Well funnily enough, I weighed them on my very accurate old postal scales ;)
    Uncompromising extremist
  • nah, postal scales always over-weigh!!!!
  • Northwind
    Nah, it's OK, they're very old :lol: Modern post office scales are designed to add a kilo to every package as far as I can tell :lol:
    Uncompromising extremist