First Crash yesterday, Roundabout + Diesel! Pics inside

Squillinossett
Squillinossett Posts: 1,678
edited November 2009 in Road beginners
Well first crash today, came off at about 35mph on a roundabout.

Learner pull right out in front of me, forcing me to bank super low, bit some diesel and didnt stand a chance. I have never felt anything like it, not even wet leaves. I also stank of petrol after!

Ruined my new 105 STI leavers, new bib tights, gilet, and jearsey. oh and overshoes.

Other than that im ok bar the below battle scars.

46584866.jpg

armh.jpg

legv.jpg

Comments

• I will also post up some pics of bike damage to see if you think there is anything to be done.

Also broke my new crud mudgurads I fitted that morning!
  • I totally sympathise! Crashing hurts the bike, body and wallet!!

Hope you get sorted out soon.
  • Well at least I can say im a proper Roadie now!
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    sympathies from me too, but someone needs to ask - what on earth were you doing 35 on a roundabout for?
  • I should explain further.

1: it was the approach into the roundabout, where I would usually brake, but the learner forced me into the turn early or I would have hit her.

2: not a small roundabout, its one of those bloody great big things.

3: I have ridden it more times than I can count, and know the road well!
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Looks a bit nasty. What part of your body is that 1st photo? I just can't make it out!
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • shoulder, left one

with those hairy legs? :wink:

with those hairy legs? :wink:

and...glad to hear you're not too bad
  • I can promise you now the hair will be going! its a pain trying to clean road rash with hair, I have been picking it out all day!
  • Sorry to hear about your accident. Hope you're feeling better. I had a crash a month ago when hitting diesel and spent 3 days in hospital with a bad concussion and badly bruised elbow, oh and plenty road rash. Helmet saved my life. One month on and i'm back on the bike feeling fine but i've lost a lot of fitness and confidence. I'm sure both will come back in time.
    Hope you heal fast!
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    35mph - FBF (forum bullshit factor) = 20mph :wink:
    More problems but still living....
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    edited November 2009
    Well at least I can say im a proper Roadie now!
    'Fraid not.

A proper roadie would have posted loads of pics of the bike, detailing every minor little scratch. The injuries might have been mentioned as an afterthought if they were serious enough, ie leg amputation or such.
  • They will be going up tomorrow
  • bristolpete
    bristolpete Posts: 2,255
    Take it easy mate, never fun.
  • Mothyman
    Mothyman Posts: 655
    ..glad you came out of it reasonably ok....is it a carbon bike? Frame ok?
  • No, ALu frame, managed to get away wiht out one mark on it, as I was still clipped in for a second, so the bike was saved by my flesh!
  • hodsgod
    hodsgod Posts: 226
    Diesel is a real problem, but 35 on the approach to a roundabout??? Was it up hill :lol:
  • rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    edited March 2010
  • Did you get the learner driver's details and have you reported this to police as an injury RTC ?
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,646

3: I have ridden it more times than I can count, and know the road well!

not well enough

also the learner driver has to been in your field of vision in front..unless she overtook you at 60kph considering you were going 55kph+ (i don't think so)

which means you should have mentally flagged up "learner driver" as you approached the roundabout
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    Bit confused here, you were approaching the roundabout so was the learner circulating it or coming from behind you? :?
  • Pross wrote:
    Bit confused here, you were approaching the roundabout so was the learner circulating it or coming from behind you? :?

Already on the round about, she was in the inside lane, but pulled into the outside right at the junction I was joining.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    Right - makes sense now!

• 3: I have ridden it more times than I can count, and know the road well!

not well enough

also the learner driver has to been in your field of vision in front..unless she overtook you at 60kph considering you were going 55kph+ (i don't think so)

which means you should have mentally flagged up "learner driver" as you approached the roundabout

In an ideal world, yes, I would have paid more attention to the driver, but its a noce long hill that one can free wheel down going towards the roundabout so I usually just use it to get low and rest the old legs.

So partly my fault but one of those things I will have to learn from!
  • rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    edited March 2010
  • rake wrote:
    still cant acount for shoot car driving squilli.

? shoot?
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Shoot is what the BR spelling nanny inserts if you actually type sh1t with an i instead of the 1
  • jedster
    jedster Posts: 1,717
    Looks sore - sounds like you were lucky not to break anything. Hope you heal up quickly.

Am I right in thinking that she changed lanes on the roundabout just as you were entering? That may have not been good driving by her but I think you were quite a lot at fault too. She had right of way as she was on the roundabout. She is entitled to change lanes to take a suitable road position for exiting the roundabout. You were going way too fast to enter the roundabout in close proximity to another car.

I'm not having a go, I just think you should ride a little more defensively

All the best

J
  • jedster wrote:
    Looks sore - sounds like you were lucky not to break anything. Hope you heal up quickly.

Am I right in thinking that she changed lanes on the roundabout just as you were entering? That may have not been good driving by her but I think you were quite a lot at fault too. She had right of way as she was on the roundabout. She is entitled to change lanes to take a suitable road position for exiting the roundabout. You were going way too fast to enter the roundabout in close proximity to another car.

I'm not having a go, I just think you should ride a little more defensively

All the best

J

I know, still, at least it wasnt too bad, I shall be more careful now, but I feel I would have still gone over even at slower speeds.

Live and learn as they say!