CRC Rant!

sellisnba
sellisnba Posts: 181
edited November 2009 in MTB general
First off i usally have no problems at all with them, However just recently i have been unfortunate to have two terrible products on my bike. So i thought i would just point out the faults to other people.
Promply gave each product a 1 star review because in my mind thats all they were worth. Strangely CRC have taken it amongst them selves to delete my reviews which have been on there for around a week. What's the point of having a review section if your only going to leave 3 stars or above ratings on there?
Come on CRC sort it out.
Rant over :(

Comments

• Kiblams
    Kiblams Posts: 2,423
    Interesting... probably won't trust any star ratings on CRC again :?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Kiblams wrote:
    Interesting... probably won't trust any star ratings on CRC again :?

you trusted them in the first place!
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • This also happened to a mate of mine, I have seen people on there saying "i got this product elsewhere cheaper etc" and they have left the review on there, my mate goes to buy a helmet from them and they put the price up, so he says great product etc but CRC put the price up so i wont buy from them through principle. Fair enough i think. His review lasted about an hour!!?
  • I never go by the user reviews on those sites...You can never tell if the person leaving the review has used the product correctly. For example the Hope HedDoctor tends to get bad reviews because people don't know how headsets work and that it's only a preload bolt so they tighten it to beyond belief and brake it.

I'm not saying this applies to you sellisnba And I think they shouldn't delete any reviews becuase that takes the point out of having teh system in the first place.
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Orange Alpine 160
  • Fair comment macandcheese i had actually bought the product from them including a headset which lasted less than two months.

Anyone selling a cheap (£20) headset?
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    sellisnba wrote:
    Promply gave each product a 1 star review because in my mind thats all they were worth. Strangely CRC have taken it amongst them selves to delete my reviews which have been on there for around a week.
    I've left scathing reviews on there in the past and they never get posted. Curiously my 5-star reviews get posted in less than 48 hrs :wink:
  • sellisnba wrote:
    Fair comment macandcheese i had actually bought the product from them including a headset which lasted less than two months.

Anyone selling a cheap (£20) headset?

So did you brought a whole bike from them and it's started going wrong?
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Orange Alpine 160
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    I haven`t had a review appear on CRC for ages unless it was a really good one.
    They used to put everything up.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • MacAndCheese.Bought some forks and a headset, they were both just a bit crap and just really wanted to warn others of the problems i had.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    sellisnba wrote:
    he says great product etc but CRC put the price up so i wont buy from them through principle. Fair enough i think. His review lasted about an hour!!?

Well it's not really a review is it tbh. It looks like free advertising for the competitor (if he named them) and if he didn't it's still no reflection on the quality of the product or the service from CRC. It bugs me when people do that, something's got a good/bad rating, and it turns out to be skewed by someone who hasnt used the product discussing prices, or telling us how he used a different product and it didn't break therefore this one's rubbish- pointless!
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • sellisnba wrote:
    MacAndCheese.Bought some forks and a headset, they were both just a bit crap and just really wanted to warn others of the problems i had.

Cool. sorry if my posts sounded a bit negative against you, not intentional. Hope you have better luck with next forks/headset! :)
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Orange Alpine 160
  • _Ferret_
    _Ferret_ Posts: 660
    What were the products?
    name and shame I say.
    When I go to the review section I intentionally look for the worst review I can find. I want to know what the moodiest, most annoyed consumer said about the product. If I can't find one under 3 stars then I forget the review section completely (or assume it's an amazing product made by witchcraft)...
    Not really active
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    I never go by the user reviews on those sites...You can never tell if the person leaving the review has used the product correctly. For example the Hope HedDoctor tends to get bad reviews because people don't know how headsets work and that it's only a preload bolt so they tighten it to beyond belief and brake it.

thats because people who know how headsets work use a star fangled nut.

:P
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • cee wrote:
    I never go by the user reviews on those sites...You can never tell if the person leaving the review has used the product correctly. For example the Hope HedDoctor tends to get bad reviews because people don't know how headsets work and that it's only a preload bolt so they tighten it to beyond belief and brake it.

thats because people who know how headsets work use a star fangled nut.

:P

I knew someone would say that! :)
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Orange Alpine 160
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    What products and what was the review? How did you word it?
  • bails87 wrote Well it's not really a review is it tbh. It looks like free advertising for the competitor (if he named them) and if he didn't it's still no reflection on the quality of the product or the service from CRC. It bugs me when people do that, something's got a good/bad rating, and it turns out to be skewed by someone who hasnt used the product discussing prices, or telling us how he used a different product and it didn't break therefore this one's rubbish- pointless!

Wasn't pointless he said the product was a good product and gave a 4 star rating but CRC didn't like the fact that he wasn't happy about the price hike and i have seen other people say they have brought the product cheaper elsewhere and the same review has been left.

Don't want to name the products on here as i will leave myself open to abuse.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    You won't leave yourself open to abuse if you write a constructive synopsis of the product. And I'll make sure you don't.
  • Marzocchi dirt jumper 2 Aparantly 100mm travel, never got more than 60mm travel out of them, spring preload never worked just very dissapointed with them.

Sunline v1 headset, was crap to fit once it was in it was too stiff it wasn't sealed very well and went i went to remove my existing fork the bearings were full of rust and had seized. Pretty poor in my opinion, it wasn't two months old
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    sellisnba wrote:
    bails87 wrote Well it's not really a review is it tbh. It looks like free advertising for the competitor (if he named them) and if he didn't it's still no reflection on the quality of the product or the service from CRC. It bugs me when people do that, something's got a good/bad rating, and it turns out to be skewed by someone who hasnt used the product discussing prices, or telling us how he used a different product and it didn't break therefore this one's rubbish- pointless!

Wasn't pointless he said the product was a good product and gave a 4 star rating but CRC didn't like the fact that he wasn't happy about the price hike and i have seen other people say they have brought the product cheaper elsewhere and the same review has been left.

Don't want to name the products on here as i will leave myself open to abuse.

Ah ok, I took it to mean that he hadn't even used the product in question, but had given it a poor rating because of the price.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Fair enough hope i didn't sound to rude. :oops:
  • ramemtbers
    ramemtbers Posts: 1,562
    hmm how very strange.
  • I thought this just happened to me! I bought a pair of 661 SPD shoes from CRC - the ratchet broke on the 1st outing and the replacement pair simply fell apart in approximately 2-3 months. I wrote a review outlining this and it never appeared! I assumed it was just a posting error but maybe not .....
  • MrChrisP
    MrChrisP Posts: 321
    A lot of it will come down to pressure from the companies whose parts they are actually selling.

Shimano aren't going to be too happy if they see CRC leaving scathing reviews of their products on the site and CRC are after all in the business to make money.

I don't agree with censoring reviews but sometimes the pressure comes from higher up and they're left with no choice.

It's a double edged sword really. I was in my old local guitar shop in Leeds a couple months back when some guy walked in and asked about the new 'auto-tuning' gibsons and if they had any.

The guy behind the counter simply said "We'll have one in on monday but you don't want to buy one of those they're rubbish". The dude said fair enough and left, probably off to another shop were he could try one out etc.

Now fair enough the guy behind the counter was being honest (they are rubbish) but instead of putting it that way, he could have said 'We'll have one on monday and your welcome to come try it. I personally don't like them. This however (pointing to a different model) is actually pretty decent and it works in much the same way'. At least then he might have made a sale rather than basically tell the guy to take a hike. The guitar he was asking about retails at close to £1000!

Now I'm no salesman but even to me that was plain stupid!

Anyway, I've wondered off the topic but hoefully you get what I mean.
    Kona Stinky Six
    Kona Scrap
    Scott YZ4
  • Strangely enough that happened when i bought my guitar. Wanted a beginer one so the first name that sprang to mind was fender. The guy said any thing under £200 in the fender range is crap,try a yamaha pacifica. Reluctantly i did GLAD i did. :D Fender must be pleased :?
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    Mr Chris, you are spot on, all bar 1%. I hate it when salespeople pass up a sale (last week I went into a pub that I knew had 30+ different bottled world beers in the fridge, I said, "do you have any organic lager?" Answer, "no" - he completely omitted to tell me of the fantastic range of alternatives on offer. It was all the more infuriating because he is an employee of my son! Grrrr!).

Anyway, back to my point, I understand the commercial issues with bad reviews, but I think it is dishonest to use he good ones and not the bad, that is distorting the truth. They don't have to use reviews, but if they do they should be uncensored (apart from the obviously obscene or libellous). Using the good, only, is exploitative.
  • MrChrisP
    alfablue I agree with you on the review side of things as well. Meant to put my point on that across a bit more strongly but I thought I'd typed enough for everyone to read.

I have no problem with review being 'censored' if needs be but if someone makes a valid point about a purchase then the company should use that to make it better not just ignore it.
    Kona Stinky Six
    Kona Scrap
    Scott YZ4
  • Will Snow
    Will Snow Posts: 1,154
    good god anyone would think CRC are trying to make money!!
    i ride a hardtail
  • MrChrisP
    heaven forbid! :lol:
    Kona Stinky Six
    Kona Scrap
    Scott YZ4
  • rhann
    rhann Posts: 383
    just do what I do and anyone else should do, look for independent reviews on here, and on other site on the web, that goes for everything, never go by an own shops review system they are nearly always censored or at least closely monitored.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    trouble is good or bad reviews you need to take them with a pinch of salt - you get the "I spent £X on this I have to say its great otherwise I was a mug" and the "I bought this and then wish I'd bought soemthign else so I am annoyed and going to rubbish it" brigades.

I'd go by the reviews on here first off I think or ask about a product on here and then ignore everyone!

I note the DJ 1 and 3 get 4 star reviews on here so you'd assume the 2 was OK too. If you aren't getting full travel it could be due to the oil being a bit overfilled - its a common complaint in Marz forks. Happened in my Z150's - I drained them, put in new oil of the correct weight and amount and they were bonza.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.