Sore throat....

slunker
slunker Posts: 346
Have had a sore throat for 3 weeks now and also since then my legs feel dead, sore throat isn't that bad just a dry feeling but the tonsils are red in colour.

Can only do half an hour on the turbo and at the club ride on sunday I really struggled up the hills. I'm usually first up the hills.

Other than this I feel fine, apart from a sore head now and then. Do you think the 2 a re linked.

Comments

• oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    Yes , probably have a cold, I had one for 3 weeks but kept training as no chest infection, but did not push as hard as usual.
  • slunker
    slunker Posts: 346
    Problem is that I fell fine, but as soon as I try even a small effort on the turbo my legs just burn.............
  • jonmack
    jonmack Posts: 522
    This is taken from the Black Book, might be of some use...

If you have a sore throat, don’t touch the bike at all until the soreness has completely gone. Then, regardless of how well you feel, only train lightly for the next few days.

A sore throat is often the first sign of infection and can develop into either sore lungs (a chest cold), or it can move up into the head. If it goes down onto the chest, again, don’t train until all the symptoms have completely gone, and then train only lightly for a few days. However, if it becomes a head cold, with the classic symptoms of a runny nose etc., then continue to train as normal if you feel okay to do so, but keep the intensity reasonably low until it has completely cleared up.

These are only loose guidelines but, if you do as I suggest, you should be able to train throughout the Winter with no serious breaks.

The most important point to remember is to never ever train with a sore throat, as there is a real danger that the infection could migrate to the major organs, so be warned!