shop scam

cycleworlduk
cycleworlduk Posts: 10
edited December 2009 in MTB stolen
i had a kona stinky six 09 20" bought over my website and it was a fraudulent trasaction....stolen credti card ....if one turns up can you get in touch....

chris@cycle-world.co.uk

many thanks

chris :cry:

Comments

• heres what ive lost...its quite a bit worse than i first thought....

1 x kuota kebelframeset in clear size medium...ive got the frame no.
    1 x pair of 404 track tub wheels...(very rare!)
    1 x kona stinky six 20" 09
    1 x cervelo p2c 56cm frame
    ive set up alerts on ebay but not sure what else i can do?

if anyone sees/hears anything please get in touch
  • colintrav
    colintrav Posts: 1,074
    i had a kona stinky six 09 20" bought over my website and it was a fraudulent trasaction....stolen credti card ....if one turns up can you get in touch....

chris@cycle-world.co.uk

many thanks

End of the day It shows how little vigilance and measures outlets really taken when dealing with online purchases ...

They just believe what they read and see is true

Further more am pretty sure you traced the delivery to the address given and surely you managed to get the IP address as everyone IP is uniquely different ..
  • rhann
    rhann Posts: 383
    colintrav wrote:

chris@cycle-world.co.uk

many thanks

End of the day It shows how little vigilance and measures outlets really taken when dealing with online purchases ...

Further more am pretty sure you traced the delivery to the address given and surely you managed to get the IP address as everyone IP is uniquely different ..
    only to a certain extent some IP's are assigned to different users each time they sign into the internet and so are floating, others may use a proxy server to hide their IP, if they dont want to be found they wont be found, and they may even have used an internet cafe or library so are even more anonymous. Delivery address is going to be the best place to start, and inform the police.
  • i ran all the usual checks and they passed them.....ive since upgraded to 3d secure transactions over my website .....

must be great to be such an authority and never be in a position where youd make a mistake colin...... :wink:
  • Ands
    Ands Posts: 1,437
    colintrav wrote:

I was recently the victim of CC fraud - the fraudsters knew my name, address, where I worked DOB, mother's maiden name. They phoned my CC company to say they would be making a £7k purchase, and passed all the security checks. Sure enough, a £7k transaction was subsequently authorised. I doubt the retailer was at fault here. If anything, I think the CC company could have done more - such as improved security checks (they didn't even have a password on the account) or a call back on any of the 3 phone numbers they have to contact me.
  • rhann
    rhann Posts: 383
    at the end of the day you can have as much security as you want, but if someone wants to they will still manage to do what they want.
  • Chris,

You must have posted them somewhere then.

Can you give any more details?
  • http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Cube-Agree-Ultegr ... dZViewItem

this chap has been identified and reported to the police as the same fellow who scammed/sold my lost cervelo frame......

beware! :cry:
  • SO why is he still scammming, I mean trading on ebay?
    Colnago C60 SRAM eTap, Colnago C40, Milani 107E, BMC Pro Machine, Trek Madone, Viner Gladius,
    Bizango 29er
  • because the police arent interested.....in a word!

thats the official line they gave me
  • KT1973
    KT1973 Posts: 93
    This recently happened to a collegue of mine and his wife had her credit card run upto it's 10K limit without her even realising someone had her details.
    There are easy ways for them to do it- spyware on your computer or copying your card in shops/restaurants then use it to buy online.
    It usually only shows up when the CC company sees unusually high spending and by that time it's too late- the store has sent the items (do a dodgy address)
  • deffler
    deffler Posts: 829
    because the police arent interested.....in a word!

thats the official line they gave me

Up untill recently, financial fraud like this was investigated by the Police at great cost, however when it came to securing convictions they found they were getting less & less help from the banks/credit card companies with this, instead the companies would write the loss off, possibley as they didnt want the publicity.

The Police decided enough was enough & passed the onus onto the companies to secure convictions, they rarely do, unless its a big big scam
    Boardman Hybrid Pro

Planet X XLS
  • Joycie
    Joycie Posts: 127
    Not that it would stop him (as he could set up with a different id) but have you reported him to Ebay?