Signalling ettitquette

simonaspinall
simonaspinall Posts: 645
edited November 2009 in Track
If you are planning to go up/down the track - Is it enough to check over your shoulder, or do you need to stick your elbow out too?

Ta
What wheels...? Wheelsmith.co.uk!

Comments

• andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,103
    You should only ever go up! You should look and signal with your elbow then only move when it's clear to do so.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I agree - moving to the left could be disastrous as someone could be coming through on the inside. Before you make any move, check over your shoulder first - the elbow flick is only really a neccessity when going nearly flat-out and you need to keep the pace in the line.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • ah, marvellous - at the uber beginner level then, just a look over the shoulder and move either way...?
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    You also signal when going down during training!!
    Dont forget during training routines the coaches want to get you off the track safely and when theres a lot of riders they will call you down from blue to red, then black, then cote dazur.
    When coming off the track always point left so riders behind know.
    For normal racing and training it is up when changing and generally a peek behind followed by a flick of elbow.
    In races you do not always signal at all. In bunch racin it is quite common for two riders to swing up and if your riding high and some one goes on the bottom your going to have to drop down fast sometimes to get a wheel, but thats racing not training :D
  • Cheers fine sir - Safety was of course my first priority!
  • Questions like this should really be put to the coach/es before and during the sessions you are on. You can then cover anything else you may need to go over at the same time, and some of those things may or may not be specific to that particular track.
  • suze
    suze Posts: 302
    Questions like this should really be put to the coach/es before and during the sessions you are on. You can then cover anything else you may need to go over at the same time, and some of those things may or may not be specific to that particular track.

+1

Many tracks have their own etiquette. A look over the shoulder to check that nobody is overtaking or undertaking is more important. If your riding in a line of riders, looking along a line a head turn is often more obvious that a quick flick of the elbow, that only the rider immediately behind can see.
    �3 grand bike...30 Bob legs....Slowing with style
  • andyp wrote:
    You should only ever go up! You should look and signal with your elbow then only move when it's clear to do so.

So how do you get back down then.....
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    andyp wrote:

Ride up the bank, jump over the top and use the stairs :D
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,103
    andyp wrote:

I jumped the gun somewhat and assumed the OP was talking about moving off the front of a group to let someone else take the pace. Then, clearly, he should only move up the track.

Next time I'll read the topic more carefully before jumping in. :oops: