Womens section?

moonio
moonio Posts: 802
Would it be possible to have a womens section of the forum?

Comments

• nonnac85
    nonnac85 Posts: 1,608
    There is already one in the MTB section
    My Website - Trail Centre info for the UK: MTB Trail Time
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    there was one in the road section (Women's racing) but it was merged.

http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12605354
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • moonio
    moonio Posts: 802
    I only really post in the commuting forum and I dont think a womens section is needed there, I thought just a general womens section could be good.
  • AliR
    AliR Posts: 18
    Could we have a women's road bike section again, please?

Or perhaps an overall women's section with some more specialized groups within it, like the current MTB one and a group for roadies, one for commuting, ... etc etc
  • Jeff Jones
    Jeff Jones Posts: 1,865
    As Nicklouse said, there used to be one in road. It was pretty quiet and IIRC had more male than female posters. It went after we had a forum cleanup.

We did have a thread to gauge opinion at the time and the majority of women said that they preferred posting in the various sub forums rather than being segregated in a seperate women's one.

If there's sufficient interest in recreating one then we could look at doing so.

There are also plenty of women reading the road forums. Try posting a question in one and see how you go.
    Jeff Jones

Product manager, Sports
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    To be honest I don't even think we need the MTB one.
  • Joycie
    Joycie Posts: 127
    Is women's road cycling not on the increase?

I'm assuming that's why I'm finding it so difficult to locate a women's specific road bike in Scotland at the moment...

I've posted on the women's MTB forum area and would also post on a women's specific road bike forum area.

When was the last women's road bike forum removed? Could it be time for a review?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Joycie
    it happened in Feb.
    The changes:

* The Race section will be replaced by Amateur Racing and Pro Racing. Amateur Racing will be for the races/TTs that you are competing in, Pro Racing will be for discussion of the professional teams and races. Women's Racing will be merged into these new sections.

* Road Gear & Know-how will be split into Workshop and Buying Advice.

* Sportives and Road Rides will become Road Rides and Riding. No real change here, just a slight re-purposing, this will be where you can ask for people from your area to ride with in addition to the discussion of sportives, audax events etc.

* Soapbox will be merged into Campaign and Cake Stop. Cycling related topics will go into Campaign, and non-cycling rants will go into the Cake Stop.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Joycie wrote:
    Is women's road cycling not on the increase?

I'm assuming that's why I'm finding it so difficult to locate a women's specific road bike in Scotland at the moment...

I've posted on the women's MTB forum area and would also post on a women's specific road bike forum area.

When was the last women's road bike forum removed? Could it be time for a review?

Wuuld you post on the general area though? Should we have a Men's section too?
  • Joycie
    I would post on the general area but I was trying to search for mewbie advice for buing a women's specific bike and I was getting threads from tall men with long legs and short bodies...

So it was more for ease of finding things in future.

You could request a separate mens section if you think there's a need for it and you think it's useful. It's not something that I would specifically look for but just because I wouldn't use it it doesn't mean that it's necessarily a bad idea.
  • Joycie
    I agree with Moonio...

Why would a Women's section need to be allocated to either Mountain BIke or Road Bike? Can we not have it stand alone like the Commuting thread?

This would also tie in with Supersonic's comment that he doesn't think we need a specific Mountain Biking one.

Thoughts?
  • BigJimmyB
    BigJimmyB Posts: 1,302
    I think Supersonic meant the womens section in MTB....correct if I'm wrong SS!

I'd say that if you have specific requirements with regard ot a female-specific bike, you could post in the appropriate section (Road/Buying advice etc) and see what answers you get.

There are men as well as women on here who may be able to help or point you in the right direction.....

Too many sub-sections make the site difficult to navigate and (I would imagine) administer/maintain.

If not, I'd like a 6 foot man with ginger hair and tattoos MTB XC/AM section pls :wink:
  • Joycie
    I did post in the Road Beginners section - no response from females though... Perhaps I'm looking to buy the only Kona Lisa RD bike in Britain... :wink:
  • Joycie
    Can't think why we would possibly want a women's road section when there's such classy chat in the normal section...
    I'd spend your £150 on a high class pross
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Joycie, if you see an offensive post, please flag it to us - otherwise we don't know it's there.