heated gloves

bry1
bry1 Posts: 5
edited November 2009 in MTB general
had the tip of my finger sewn back on a couple of years ago
and it gets extremely cold even when wearing winter gloves.
Do you know if anyone does a heated glove for mountain biking'
unlike motorcycle gloves they have to be a thickness that retains a certain 'feel'

Comments

• from the sounds of things you need a bit more wind-proofing. As it's the wind not the wet that causes it.

What gloves have you tried? I'd recommend a set of the sealskinz mtb gloves but obv. if you've tried those you'll need other opinions.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    which finger?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • bry1
    middle finger left hand is the one damaged and at the moment am wearing gore tex winter gloves with a extra liner
  • nicklouse
    ok as i was just thinking out side of the box to mittens or similar where you could have more than one finger together as it does keep them warmer.

as i am not aware of any heated gloves suitable.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • you could try these
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/Heated_Gloves_Large.search
    cheap enough to give a go
  • bry1
    thanks for the link to Maplins, and mittens yeah good idea
    never really thought of that option, that way i could wrap
    my fingers up together cheers
  • Do Pearl Izumi still do those "lobster" gloves? Sort of like a split mitten iirc?
    Old hockey players never die - they just smell that way...
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    or those little plasic pockets that you crak (like glostix) to start them heating up...then boil them to re-set them when you get home...they are only a couple of quid each and are sold in places like weird stands in the middle of shopping malls.
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • nicklouse
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Do Pearl Izumi still do those "lobster" gloves? Sort of like a split mitten iirc?

I saw a set of lobsters the other day, couldn't tell you who made them but they were in the edinburgh bicycle shop so quite likely Altura or Gore. It'd be worth checking their website I think, lobsters can make a big difference.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    what about neoprene "wetsuit" gloves?
  • GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    I have some snowboard/ski gloves that have a pocket for one of the little heat packs. I wouldn't recommend the gloves for MTB (bar control?) but perhaps someone does something similar.
  • x-isle
    x-isle Posts: 794
    Get some Neoprene ones.

I had some a few years ago. They great thing is, when they are wet, they actually warm your hands, just like a wetsuit does.

Just takes a while to get used to the feel of the brake levers.
    Craig Rogers
  • bry1
    thanks for all the options guys was dreading another winter of
    pain, it is the wind chill factor when decending that was the
    worst, so much that i was having to brake like mad and basically
    roll down slowly
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    try some normal nitril or vynal gloves,, the kind doctors or mechanics wear,

wear them under your normal mtbing gloves..
  • CraigXXL
    CraigXXL Posts: 1,852
    Try a pair of silk gloves under some windproof gloves, it creates a nice warm air layer. I tried electric heated gloves on my motorbike and found them awkward. Heated grips only warm the contact areas so the backs of your hands and fingers are still cold. Mitts work well too.

Wearing rubber type gloves makes your hands sweat which makes the hands colder.
  • captainfly
    captainfly Posts: 1,001
    I just found these (seached for heated drving gloves) http://www.primrose-london.co.uk/blazew ... 8e673d5b42 and if memory serves there are glove liner from a company called warmthru but they are quite expensive.
    -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
    Mongoose Teocali
    Giant STP0

Why are MTB economics; spend twice as much as you intended, but only half as much as you wish you could afford? :roll:
  • nicklouse
    captainfly
    already linked :wink:
  • furby
    furby Posts: 200
    What about trying a pair of kayaking pogies.

They would completly cover the bar, brake levers and your hand and should be very warm!

http://aswatersportsequipment.co.uk/pro ... cts_id=425

You might be able to get a similar product designed for motorbiking which might be more suitible.