Columbia : Like em or not?

iainf72
iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited November 2009 in Pro race
Remember when Cuddly Bob took over High Horse and how people tended to be very positive about the squad and constantly sing their praises.

I get the impression that's died off a bit and while they're a formidible winning machine they don't seem to capture the imagination like some other teams.

Is that just my perception? I've never been a fan of the team or their "ethics" but it seems like there is less talk in general about them.
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• I think that is fair comment.

I suppose sometimes people like cheering on the underdogs and as they are now clearly the top dog, human nature likes to knock people off the top and help up those that are struggling.

either that or Bob Stapleton's two faced scorpio persona has come out... (for all you simpson fans out there)

Bob Stapleton
    tumblr_kp5p5xQVFU1qzx5hro1_400.jpg

Scorpio
    ToC%20Kickoff%20Press%20Conference%20(127).JPG
  • I have favourite riders rather than favourite teams.
    spamspam.jpg
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    I have favourite riders rather than favourite teams.

+1 although there are some teams that just rub me up the wrong way.

Strava is not Zen.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Columbia don't really bother me one way or another. I like the winninging* nature of the team, but that is offset by the godawfulness of their kit.

* It's a word. Look it up. It's in the dictionary next to winningest.
  • iainf72

As do I but Columbia seemed to inspire a following a couple of years ago which seems to have disappeared...
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    calvjones wrote:

Here in the States the only people that like the New York Yankees are people from
    New York and myself. It's sort of an odd phenomena that the teams that are the biggest winners are disliked the most.
  • iainf72
    dennisn wrote:

Here in the States the only people that like the New York Yankees are people from
    New York and myself. It's sort of an odd phenomena that the teams that are the biggest winners are disliked the most.

I didn't like High Horse / Columbia when they won sod all. I don't like them now.

Does that give you a headache?
  • skyd0g
    skyd0g Posts: 2,540
    Their team kit is quite pretty though. :D
    ...despite Garmin having Wiggo 'n all that, you can't really love 'em with those orange and pale blue cheques that shouldn't be seen outside a golf club... ...I mean, honestly! :wink:
    Cycling weakly
  • dennisn
    iainf72 wrote:
    dennisn wrote:

I didn't like High Horse / Columbia when they won sod all. I don't like them now.

Does that give you a headache?

Not quite following you????? :? :? :?
    Then again I don't understand lots of things.
  • iainf72
    dennisn wrote:

You said people don't like the Yankee's because they win a lot. As the discussion was actually about Columbia, you were clearly trying to say people dislike Columbia because they win a lot.

So I didn't like them when they won nothing and don't like them now.
  • dennisn
    iainf72 wrote:
    dennisn wrote:

You said people don't like the Yankee's because they win a lot. As the discussion was actually about Columbia, you were clearly trying to say people dislike Columbia because they win a lot.

You're right, that does give me a headache.
  • nick hanson
    nick hanson Posts: 1,655
    dennisn wrote:
    calvjones wrote:

That also applies here in the UK.
    Brits don't seem to like a winner :?
    so many cols,so little time!
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    iainf72 wrote:

They're the opposite to Ivan - you liked him when he was winning a lot, now he's winning nothing and you still like him... :D
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • iainf72
    DaveyL wrote:

They're the opposite to Ivan - you liked him when he was winning a lot, now he's winning nothing and you still like him... :D

Unlike someone on Columbia, Ivan has won a race this year.

:wink:
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    You lay off Kim Kirchen...
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • iainf72
    DaveyL wrote:
    You lay off Kim Kirchen...

Kim's actually won something since being at Cuddly Bob's squad.

Dodge hasn't.
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    I would agree with the theory that, deep down, we all like rooting for the underdog. And the eccentricity of JV and Garmin is, to be honest, charming.

Columbia, OTOH, are clinically efficient.

Would we feel the same way about them if their wins were fewer? In other words, if the Gorgeous Cav the Chav was elsewhere?
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    That also applies here in the UK.
    Brits don't seem to like a winner :?

Which explains why Chris Hoy, Bobby Moore, Roger Bannister, Jonathan Edwards, Edmund Hilary etc, etc are such figures of hate.

Sorry, I don't mean to be rude but I just don't get the argument that Brits don't like a winner when there are so many examples to the contrary.

I would argue that we're too harsh on our champions when they are perceived to fail e.g. Paula Radcliffe
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    While I'll admit that I'm an unashamed Cav fan, I do like them as a team too. They seem to have a good camaraderie (which as a team sports player myself, I appreciate), they work hard and they seem a good bunch of guys.

I'm also impressed at the way they rejected the traditional business plan of getting a GC rider and just concentrated on winning as much as possible, regardless of the race.

I'm also starting to like their kit, which is worrying.

(And to defend IainF, he's always hated them, winning or not, though I've never understoood why)
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • RichN95 wrote:
    I'm also starting to like their kit, which is worrying.
    The fake 'abs' were toned down when HTC was added.
    Abysmal
    o_7o2g1gRnMRAohW1.jpg
    Better
    HR9CHSJ.JPG
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    RichN95 wrote:

I'm also starting to like their kit, which is worrying

Seek help immediately!
  • The Blue kit was so so so so much better, I would have even worn it myself.

HIghroadcolumbia-vi.jpg
    spamspam.jpg