spd's - where am I going wrong

iancity
iancity Posts: 20
edited November 2009 in MTB beginners
Bought some Shimano shoes and the 520 pedals with some single release cleats, found it quite difficult, especially the right foot to get my foot released, culminating in me having to wrench my foot out of the pedal - i thought i had lost the cleat as they came off my foot, so bought some multi release ones - got on much better with these until today when got stuck in the right pedal again. This time I examined the pedal and found on one side the single release cleat from last week and in the other side the multi release cleat from todays ride !!!!

Any idea on if I am doing something wrong or as its only ever the right side I have problems with could it be the shoe or pedal (have looked closely at tboth but they seem fine to me, although I am very much a noob)...

Any help much appreciated

Ian

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    sounds like you have not adjusted the tension.

you have also replaced the plate/nut in the shoe?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • nicklouse wrote:

I don't understand how this can have a bearing. From what I have seen all 'nuts' have the same size and shape. If there is no nut in the shoe, then he can't fit the cleat.

Am I missing something?
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    nicklouse wrote:

I don't understand how this can have a bearing. From what I have seen all 'nuts' have the same size and shape. If there is no nut in the shoe, then he can't fit the cleat.

Am I missing something?

well he has ripped the bolts out of them before.
    iancity wrote:
    This time I examined the pedal and found on one side the single release cleat from last week and in the other side the multi release cleat from todays ride !!!!

so there is a very high chance that the threads are now not there.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • iancity wrote:
    Bought some Shimano shoes and the 520 pedals with some single release cleats, found it quite difficult, especially the right foot to get my foot released, culminating in me having to wrench my foot out of the pedal - i thought i had lost the cleat as they came off my foot, so bought some multi release ones - got on much better with these until today when got stuck in the right pedal again. This time I examined the pedal and found on one side the single release cleat from last week and in the other side the multi release cleat from todays ride !!!!

Any idea on if I am doing something wrong or as its only ever the right side I have problems with could it be the shoe or pedal (have looked closely at tboth but they seem fine to me, although I am very much a noob)...

Any help much appreciated

Ian

For both types of cleat, the best way to release is at the bottom of the stroke, stand on the pedal and twist your ankle outwards. This way your leg is straight and you have larger muscles twisting your foot. it does take practice and some forward planning but soon becomes second nature.

The multi release cleats allow release at various angles and positions, but if the spring on the pedal is too tight then you may find it more difficult.
    --
  • nicklouse wrote:
    nicklouse wrote:

Am I missing something?

well he has ripped the bolts out of them before.
    iancity wrote:
    This time I examined the pedal and found on one side the single release cleat from last week and in the other side the multi release cleat from todays ride !!!!

so there is a very high chance that the threads are now not there.

Ah, I see, that's not how I read it. Thank you.

In which case I don't understand what's going on, He still has two cleats in his shoes one multi and one single, I'm assuming that he has mistakenly only put one multi rel cleat on one shoe and left the other as single rel.
    --
  • He said pedal not shoe :)

It does sound like you might need to decrease the release tension of the pedal.
  • Slacken the tension on the pedals and make sure the cleats on your shoes are tight
    On One Inbred 456
    On One Inbred SS
  • thanks for the replies - - - the tension was set at the minimum as I was so paranoid about falling off and still being clipped in - which still happenned anyway !

There's no opinion about it always being the right foot thats causing probs then? I have to stress I seem to have no probs getting in and out of the left one at all...clip in perfectly every time and clip out perfectly every time, the left has always been no problem, single or multi release , but have always struggled with the right . . . . . . . .

Will have another look at shoe and pedal (and cleat) tomorrow....
  • Check:

The pedal isn't damaged.

You have put them on correctly,

The cleat is in the correct angle for you right foot, i.e. you don't have the cleat 'straight'. It may be possible that you can't twist your foot enough.

I use crank bros eggbeaters or mallets, the release angle can be changed to a shallower angle so it releases easier.
    --
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I'm running 520's and have had no problem, you could always clip the shoes in and unclip by hand and see if the right really is stiffer than the left.

I have my tension only 1 click (1/2 turn) in from minimum....

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • JamesBrckmn
    JamesBrckmn Posts: 1,360
    this sounds very complicated... why i use flats
  • teulk
    teulk Posts: 557
    Hmmm i have the same pedals and single release cleats yet i can twist out of then both ways ie inwards and outwards..........hows that work then ???? i only ever twist outwards to release mine so it makes no difference to me but i just thought that it was strange that i effectively have multi release,
    Boardman Team 09 HT
    Orbea Aqua TTG CT 2010
    Specialized Secteur Elite 2011
  • teulk wrote:
    Hmmm i have the same pedals and single release cleats yet i can twist out of then both ways ie inwards and outwards..........hows that work then ???? i only ever twist outwards to release mine so it makes no difference to me but i just thought that it was strange that i effectively have multi release,

Shimano single and multi release cleats are the same shape, the multi release have chamfering on all the edges to allow easier release in any direction, that is why it is easier to pull out without wanting to.

You can twist out in both directions but it is easier to the outside as there is no bike parts in the way, in some position of the pedal stroke you just can't twist your ankle in far enough due to crank arm, swing arm, chain stay etc.
    --