Cable rub - battle scra or monstrous carbuncle?

The Rookie
The Rookie Posts: 27,812
edited November 2009 in Commuting chat
Just finishing building my new commuter with a fresh painted frame, do I protect from cable rub/chain suck or are they honourable battle scars - Discuss!

Simon
Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.

Comments

• The Rookie
    Anyone?

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    It will get scraped and scratched, so no point in going overboard to protect.
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • The Rookie
    OK but I do have some sticky vinyl stuff with single layer of genuine CF in it that has worked well on my other bike to protect against chain suck, so would use that, the paint is black so would be kinda stealth.....sort of convinced myself, anyone else?

Simon
  • 0scar
    0scar Posts: 219
    Unless you're super confident about the quality of the new paint I'd say protect. Otherwise it can wear through and let moisture between paint and the frame.
    Commuter: Taped-up black Trek 2200 (FCN 5)
    Shiny bike: Pinarello FP2 (FCN 3)
  • Slow Downcp
    Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    Get a roll of transparent fablon from B&Q/Focus, cut and stick on. Much cheaper than the marketed patches (and it stays on - but if it does peel away, there's plenty left to reapply)
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • The Rookie
    OK, I'll use some of the large(ish) sheet of sticky back CF I have, I think I need 2 cable patches (rear brake and rear mech, no front as I'm 1x9) on the head tube only and a piece on the chain stay against chain suck.

Simon