Do slim rechargeabble AA batteries exist?

N0bodyOfTheGoat
N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,844
edited November 2009 in Commuting chat
I've received a Crops NRX35 front light as part of a good bundle deal from Planet-X (2x Crops MX1 rear lights; Cateye LED hi-vis vest; Vapextech quicker charger with 4x 2700 mAh AA batteries... all for £60), but I have a slight problem...

The AA battery compartment has very tight clearance, preventing both my Vapex AA rechargeables and hybrids from being used, as they are ~14mm diameter (rather than the ~13mm diameter of non-rechargeables). :cry:

Does anyone have any ideas about brands that do slimeline AA rechargeables, ideally > 2500 mAh :?:
================
2020 Voodoo Marasa
2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
2016 Voodoo Wazoo

Comments

• antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    My uniross hybro seems to be 13mm.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • Peel the plastic off the outside?
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Aren't they called AAA batteries? /smartarse
  • AA batteries are either 13.5mm or 14.5mm wide.

Google didn't help, but I'm sure if you just go and buy a few different brands you'll find something. :?
  • ask in maplin, they'll probably know and may stock them
  • White Line wrote:
    AA batteries are either 13.5mm or 14.5mm wide.
    Is that a technical spec? It is a pain that all of the new Smart lights I've bought have thinner AA openings than in the past. None of my 2900mAh Vapextech fit :( But my old 2700 mAh Vapextech did, so I assume they are of the thinner variety.

It was this that made me surprised that the 2500mAh ones mentioned above were too fat, as I would have hoped that it was only the 2900s where they were trying to pack in more material.

@NO: If you do find some high capacity small diameter ones, please report back - I will want to order some soon as my 2700s are quite old.

@Biondino: :P
  • antfly
    Just because they say they are 2900 mah doesn`t mean they are, what`s wrong with uniross?
  • antfly wrote:
    Just because they say they are 2900 mah doesn`t mean they are, what`s wrong with uniross?
    True.

Why not Uniross? Well, Vapextech get reasonable reviews and the distributer lives about 400m from me, so it is more convenient :)

But don't worry, if Uniross fit and do a reasonable job, then I'll get them.
  • Annying isn't it. The girlfriend's cateye rear light won't take the new AAA batteries I bought, but some older maplin own brand AAAs do fit. How abou thaving a standard and sticking to it? :roll:
  • duncedunce wrote:
    White Line wrote:
    AA batteries are either 13.5mm or 14.5mm wide.
    Is that a technical spec? It is a pain that all of the new Smart lights I've bought have thinner AA openings than in the past. None of my 2900mAh Vapextech fit :( But my old 2700 mAh Vapextech did, so I assume they are of the thinner variety.

It was this that made me surprised that the 2500mAh ones mentioned above were too fat, as I would have hoped that it was only the 2900s where they were trying to pack in more material.

@NO: If you do find some high capacity small diameter ones, please report back - I will want to order some soon as my 2700s are quite old.

@Biondino: :P
    Yep. Funnily enough, I was in uni doing some CAD. I had just looked up the sizes of batteries two minutes before opening this thread. :) Even more ironic; I was making a light. :o
  • verloren
    verloren Posts: 337
    I just got some 7dayshop Hybrio-equivalents that seem to be marginally slimmer than the real Hybrios, so they may be worth a punt.

'09 Enigma Eclipse with SRAM.
    '10 Tifosi CK7 Audax Classic with assorted bits for the wet weather
    '08 Boardman Hybrid Comp for the very wet weather.
  • It looks like there may be hope then!

White Line: Just unpacked the new Vapex 2700 mAh that came in the bundle, but sadly they are too wide also.

I had a quick look on the Uniross site over the weekend, but I did not see any 13mm AAs rated over 2000 mAh... Might have been blind, will double check.

Will google 7dayshop as well.

Cheers all!
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • antfly
    I have uniross 2700`s and also have uniross hybrio 2100`s which hold their charge much better. I only measured the hybrios as the others are in the freezer.
  • Roastie
    Roastie Posts: 1,968
    Ah! :idea:

So that is why the rechargeables in my Cateye LD1100 are so "snug"!

Weird.