ADVICE PLS Sprinting, Cadence, Weights, 1 hour fast rides

the_village_idiot
the_village_idiot Posts: 150
Hi guys,

Have recently got into cycling and wish to improve my fitness- mostly commuting and the enjoyable sunday trail ride.

I have other aims other than cycling (i weight train frequently, wish to be a good sprinter) but would like to cycle to provide me with a good base level of fitness- perhaps enough to cycle hard for an hour.

However- i would like to be able to sprint hard and very fast on a bike. I realise i cant be a pro in all the areas i mentioned- but think that the weights and sprinting will go well together- and although a base level of fitness for a 1 hour fast ride contradicts this a little- i belive it is still atchievable.....

I would really appreciate some advice on how to acomplish the cycle side of things- particularly how such training ties in with Cadence

I would imagine it to be something like this:

1) Sprint on bike for 30 seconds up hill
1:30 gentle flat/downhill
repeat 4x

2) Perform above 1x/week- and once same but sprinting by foot

3) fast commute (5 miles each way) 3-4x a week

4) Fast cycle 1x/week- possibly incorporating sprints?

When sprinting- should i aim for an artificially high gear to work the muscles harder?

Any advice would be excellent thanks! :D

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Do you mean Track sprinting or sprinting in a road race?
  • good question :D - please explain the difference, and how you would train differently for each?

But mostly- the ability to accelerate and hold a hard pace on a road or hammer up a big hill!
  • Anonymous
    For what? Racing?

If it's racing then there is a HUUUGE difference between sprinting on the track and road.

Road occurs after 50 miles of constant attrition, Track is just a balls out effort after a short game of cat and mouse or a 200-500metre TT...
  • ah- thats a tricky one- 90% track in that case

in truth, although i enjoy it, im cycling for fitness and carry over to daily life.

so- i wish to be heavily bias to the track style- balls out effort it my thing- see my other priorities- weights, running/sprinting, sprinting on bike, base level of fitness

however- am hoping my commuting will give me a base level of fitness too!

thanks m8 :D
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    Even track sprinters do base miles.
    I suppose you better try it to see if your a sprinter or not, its the only way to find out.
  • im guessing i am.....simply due to the other types of training i do, any benchmarks to find out?? :)
  • Get to a track and do some starts, sprints and various accelerations from different speeds and from different parts of the track. With and without other riders.

The most important training for a sprinter, is sprinting.

The gear used in sprint training (within reason) really doesn't matter all that much from a physiological development standpoint.
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    im guessing i am.....simply due to the other types of training i do, any benchmarks to find out?? :)
    Depends on your age nd whether you tired track before and how good you want to be?
    If under 30 do 200m and if more than 12.5 secs forget it :D
  • im guessing i am.....simply due to the other types of training i do, any benchmarks to find out?? :)
    Depends on your age nd whether you tired track before and how good you want to be?
    If under 30 do 200m and if more than 12.5 secs forget it :D

im 25 and currently on a cyclo cross bike

pardon my ignorance- but is that 200m from a standing start i assume? (obviously on flat!)
  • Anonymous
    That's a flying 200m on a track...