Stolen Bikes and insurance companies!!!

oojamaflip
oojamaflip Posts: 5
edited November 2009 in MTB beginners
Hi folks well im new here but have been on and off the site for information in the past.
I am not a massively experienced rider and do a lot of forest tracks and bits in the lakes but nothing to technical you need to know this to understand my question.

Some time ago ( 2 years) I bought a Kona Caldera it was an ex hire bike to replace a Carrera full suspension bike that I didnt get on with. Along with this my Daughter had a Specialized hard rock and my Son a GT Agressor. These along with the Carrera were stolen from my garage 4 weeks ago. All the bikes where named on the house policy and this cost a little extra.

How ever the insurance company state they do not have to replace the bikes with the same models!!! :?

here is what they have suggested.

Kona = Orange g3s
Carrera= Pinnacle Cascade 2.0 2009
GT = Cannondale F6 2009
Specialized is like for like

I am a bit lost so was wondering if any of you good folk would cast a bit of advice on it for me. many thanks.
Thats not a proper saddle!!

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    They are not obliged to replace with the same models (in many cases they don't exist, and the same mdoel name now could be something totally different), though I believe you have a right to refuse wht has been offered.

But looking at what they have offered... you will be well in front! The cascade is a £1700 bike! The others are ll good bikes too.
  • I think that you would be wise to take them up on the offer. You could say the bikes offered dont fit. If you do decide to see what else would be offered you may not get the same value of what they already have or you may get way more than what is offered in terms of bikes.

whatever you choose to do make sure the insurance company amends your policy to the new bikes.
    fly like a mouse, run like a cushion be the small bookcase!
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    Accept graciously.

Say nothing.

Until they're out of earshot, anyways....
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • Thanks for the info Guys I was unsure of the bikes and wether they where good like for likes. The Orange for the Kona was my main concern as I was unsure of Oranges reputation.

Ill crack on and get them sorted thanks so much.

Ooja.
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    oojamaflip wrote:
    I was unsure of Oranges reputation.

:shock:
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    Orange have been around for 20 years or so & make some very good bikes.

I used to have the predecessor to the G series bikes, an Orange Gringo, it was a superb bike, & if any of the DNA of the Gringo has been carried over into the newer G series (look to have very similar geometry) it will be a very good bike well worthy of upgrading as time goes on & parts wear out.

If your Caldera had the Marzocchi MZ forks, the Tora's on the Orange will be a hell of a lot better.

Personally I'd have an Orange over a Kona any day.
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Most insurers like to offer replacements, they get them cheap (relatively), you get a better deal and it costs them (and therefor us who have to pay the premiums) less, I've had similar with other insurance claims (it also cuts down on fraud as fraudsters prefer cash!) and always come out on top.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Cheers for all the info guys the Orange bike arrives on Thursday the others I am not sure when. AndyB thanks for that I dont know why but I though I was getting short changed with the Orange as a replacement for my Kona obviously my inexperience of brands shows through. Its just a bit more peace of mind to know its comparable in quality.

Ta Muchly.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Brand doesn't mean anything really, it is the quality and value of what is there that counts.

Luckily all the bikes offered are quality bikes.

The 2009 Caldera and Orange G3 are very very similar so no loss there.
  • GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    I'd say you've done pretty well out of that 8)

EDIT: Bar the pain in the arse of sorting out the insurance and having the bikes nicked in the first place.
  • oh and it really was a royal pain in the ar*e aswell its like your made to jump through hoops because your a victim of crime. Anyway no uses whinging the Orange arrives tomorrow so I may hit the farm tracks to get it dirty (its white :shock: ) I could not choose the colour.

By the way this forum seems pretty ok quite a friendly bunch are there any peeps in the east yorks area?
  • mcflyss
    mcflyss Posts: 257
    So has it arrived yet? I want pics!!!
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    oojamaflip wrote:
    By the way this forum seems pretty ok quite a friendly bunch are there any peeps in the east yorks area?
    I'm based in N.E.Lincolnshire & there are a bunch of riders from around the Hull area on here too.

Any pics of the new bike(s) yet?
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • ji_
    ji_ Posts: 38
    I have an 05 Caldera and an 06 Orange Gringo, and they are pretty similar. The Gringo is a heavier build out of the box, but overall a nice bike.
    www.louthnet.com/LAMB - Louth Area Mountain Bikers
  • Squarepants
    Squarepants Posts: 1,019
    I know this has all been sorted by this may help some of us or at least give us some infomation we may not have known other wise.

As said previously yes Insurance Companies reserve the right to replace items rather than settle with money to save costs through dealer dicount schemes. Given the relative ease of your claim I think you're quite lucky as I know not everyone has such an easy time when dealing with assessors/claims departments. The Insurance principle your company is working to is Betterment (commonly known as New for Old). This works in your favour as like said; the company may not be able to source for example a 3 year old bike so replaces it with a brand new model, therefore you're in a 'better' position and ur bike is now 'new' where your other was 'old'. The Insurance Company I work for operates a wear and tear policy on pedal cycles so if you appear to being offered a like for like bike (or better by the sounds) say "thank you very much that will do nicely" and have a little grin to yourself :)
    Cube Hanzz Pro FR
    It's not that I'm over over biked, my bike is under personed...
  • i always check my insurance policies down to the fine detail and make sure they are new for old , doesn't take much for these (i'll put it politely) people to try and wriggle out of paying up or replacing things if they can help it :!:
  • im from hull mate. there are a good bunch from this area. come speak on the rides section.
    if you are in the area, pop in the shop.
    your insurance company have shot themselves to be honest.... usually they send you with a cheque to argos! well done! :D