Help! Help! Help!

mrloelisi
mrloelisi Posts: 2
edited November 2009 in MTB beginners
Hi,

A complete novice to mountain biking, not been on a bike in a while!

I am looking to begin mountain biking as i remember when i was a bit younger i loved it!
The only problem is i have no idea which bike to get –i have read the guides and they are useful to an extent. The problem is that there are hundreds of different bikes all within the same price range with the same spec.

As you may imagine i am looking for the highest spec mountain bike for the lowest cost. I can probably expend about £300 top end on a mountain bike but ideally £250 is good.
Any ideas or recommendations to a good bike for this price?

Also i need a bike for commuting, is it advisable to get a bike that does both for about £600? Or to get two different bikes £300 each?

Completely lost but any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks

James

Comments

• How far is the commute, one for 500, spare tyres and stuff for the last 100...
  • Hercule Q
    Hercule Q Posts: 2,781
    the easiest thing to do is to do is go to the bike shop and see what fits you best and i personally would say that £600 will be better on one bike instead of two as you can ride on the road with knobbly tyres but slicks cost next to sod all any way.

pinkbike
    Blurring the line between bravery and stupidity since 1986!
  • Easy decision, pool your money for one bike, £600 can get you a good bike, half of that doesn't get alot. There are a few bikes which will do both jobs, I would suggest getting down to your local bike shop and trying a few.

Alot will depend on what you want the off-road bike for, if it's trail and XC you can easily kill two birds with one stone, still plenty of good deals to be had on 09 models.
    Ridley Orion
  • missmarple
    missmarple Posts: 1,980
    If say for example you buy an XC mountain bike that comes with fairly chunky wheels as standard you could buy slick tyres and put them on a cheap wheelset and swap themover when necessary. Riding slick on road is far easier than chunky.

Like above, pool your money into one bike as you'll get alot more for your dosh. Ideally you want a hardtail, suspension bikes aren't worth it at this price point.

If you want to try before you buy and you're near a Halfords, take a look at these:

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_165499

• pte1643
    pte1643 Posts: 518
    mrloelisi wrote:
    I can probably expend about £300 top end on a mountain bike but ideally £250 is good.....

....Also i need a bike for commuting, is it advisable to get a bike that does both for about £600? Or to get two different bikes £300 each?

If your budget is approx £250 - 300 but you ALSO need a bike for commuting, can you not get one through C2W?

Then you'd most likely be able to get a £500 - 550 bike for around a £250 - 300 total outlay.

Just a thought.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • :( ^^

why not just help the guy rather than pull him down for "forum etiquette"
    does it really matter
    Carerra Fury 08
  • Andy
    Andy Posts: 8,207
    yes
  • You could get a decent 2nd hand hardtail with some spare tyres

I have a Giant Yukon disc 08 and have seen it advertised for less than £300 and IMO its a great bike that can be easily upgraded as and when required

Where about are you from??
    On One Inbred 456
    On One Inbred SS