Keeping up Appearances

colintrav
colintrav Posts: 1,074
edited November 2009 in MTB general
The select bikers that act like some people who are members of a Golf Club that have to be seen with the latest Bike that's just been released on the Market no matter what ,, It's all about projecting an Image ... and keepin up with Appearances !!!

Image is everything to these select sad people that have to get the latest gear no exceptions , when the bike they bought last year is still good enough to ride but they want a new one no exceptions

More money than common sense !!!

Comments

• LeighM
    LeighM Posts: 156
    But surely if they can afford it, why shouldn't they spend their money on whatever they like?
    2014 Trek Madone 4.7 | 2009 Trek Fuel EX7 | Planet X Pro Carbon Track Elite
    TrainerRoad
    Strava
  • mellex
    mellex Posts: 214
    Look at it this way.

Their ride from last year, which is probably still in near mint condition, is going to be looking for a new home. Chance to pick up a bargain? I think so.
  • mac_man
    mac_man Posts: 918
    mellex wrote:
    Look at it this way.

Their ride from last year, which is probably still in near mint condition, is going to be looking for a new home. Chance to pick up a bargain? I think so.

Yep....gotta love those 'early adopters'. Just means more bargains for the rest of us mere mortals.

Anyhoo... so what if they're 'all the gear no idea' types, or even if they do know what they're doing.... so long as they keep themselves to themselves I really don't care. An neither should the OP.
    Cool, retro and sometimes downright rude MTB and cycling themed T shirts. Just MTFU.

By day: http://www.mtfu.co.uk
  • bay73
    bay73 Posts: 130
    OP - How many times will this come up on this site? Why care about what other people buy and how and when they ride should be none of your concern.

Would you knock someone for buying a new CD just because they finished listening to the previous one? :roll:
  • colintrav wrote:
    when the bike they bought last year is still good enough to ride but they want a new one no exceptions

I only brought a bike last month but I still want to buy new one,It's the old n+1 rule, you can't beat it!
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Orange Alpine 160
  • Eranu
    Eranu Posts: 712
    Yawn...get off the social and maybe you can buy one too.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    If people want to spend a wedge of money each year, its their choice, it funds the new bikes the manufacturers are producing and increases volumes reducing the costs for the rest of us mere mortals (OK I could afford a £5K bike if I decided that is what I wanted, but its not, and I enjoy building my bikes up from bits on a challenging budget!) and it puts more good used bikes on the market, I don't have a problem with that either.

The first post does sound somewhat of sour grapes - get a life!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Rich9
    Rich9 Posts: 1,635
    And whats wrong with golfers? Some golfers actually ride mountain bikes too, although not at the same time.

What is it with this forum at the moment? Far too much blithering on about other people having too much money for this and slagging off that. A general air of negativity.

Lighten up and just ride your bike FFS
    2014 Whyte T-129S
  • colintrav wrote:
    The select bikers that act like some people who are members of a Golf Club that have to be seen with the latest Bike that's just been released on the Market no matter what ,, It's all about projecting an Image ... and keepin up with Appearances !!!

Image is everything to these select sad people that have to get the latest gear no exceptions , when the bike they bought last year is still good enough to ride but they want a new one no exceptions

So, ranting about those on the higher wage bracket who splashed out on a carbon Spesh or similar makes you feel better? Good for you
    I wonder if those "select bikers" sit around and diss those "morons" who ride last seasons' bikes? I doubt it...

This sport is NOT about the bike, it's about the people who all have one thing in common, the love of riding..
    If someone can afford a top of the range bike, then fair play to them, it makes them no better or worse than those of us who ride a 3 year old bike..
  • Rich9 wrote:
    And whats wrong with golfers? Some golfers actually ride mountain bikes too, although not at the same time.

What is it with this forum at the moment? Far too much blithering on about other people having too much money for this and slagging off that. A general air of negativity.

Steve Peat plays golf...
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Orange Alpine 160
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    i love how folk with pricey kit are supposed to feel bad about it. Why should someone with enough money for good kit not buy it?
  • SPIRO
    SPIRO Posts: 200
    colintrav wrote:

So, ranting about those on the higher wage bracket who splashed out on a carbon Spesh or similar makes you feel better? Good for you
    I wonder if those "select bikers" sit around and diss those "morons" who ride last seasons' bikes? I doubt it...

This sport is NOT about the bike, it's about the people who all have one thing in common, the love of riding..
    If someone can afford a top of the range bike, then fair play to them, it makes them no better or worse than those of us who ride a 3 year old bike..

Agree with you raymond. This is just the same as the fruit-booters thread :roll:

My 0.02p for what its worth. Well I have a carbon spesh, am not the greatest nor worst rider in the world and earlier this year, as a result of working hard at school and making something of my life decided to spunk 4k on a bike. Does this make me a bad person?

In some peoples eyes I am all the gear no idea - could'nt give a toss tbh. When I bump into people on the trail I can assure you I am far more interested in what you are riding than telling you about what I am riding, christ i even swapped bikes with 1 bloke i met at swinley last week for an hour just cause I fancied having a go of his hardtail :shock:

To those of you who frown on us who have the "latest gear" - please dont, just come and have a chat than diss from afar.

For anyone interested my name is John, I ride at swinley on a spesh s-works enduro and am always up for a chat - come and say hello!
  • missmarple
    missmarple Posts: 1,980
    SPIRO wrote:
    Well I have a carbon spesh, am not the greatest nor worst rider in the world and earlier this year, as a result of working hard at school and making something of my life decided to spunk 4k on a bike.

Thought you were an RAF Pilot, not a school kid?

And have to agree with the above comments, get over it - did someone get out of the wrong side of bed this morning? People can spend as much or as little as they like on a hobby. Also, don't understand how people are meant to feel bad for earning a wad of cash that they will spend on a hobby.....
  • SPIRO
    missmarple wrote:
    SPIRO wrote:
    Well I have a carbon spesh, am not the greatest nor worst rider in the world and earlier this year, as a result of working hard at school and making something of my life decided to spunk 4k on a bike.

Thought you were an RAF Pilot, not a school kid?

I am mate - by "worked hard at school" I meant - at school, college, uni, RAF training etc etc.

Alternatively i could just be flipping burgers in McDonalds and making it up....who knows :wink:
  • SPIRO wrote:
    Alternatively i could just be flipping burgers in McDonalds and making it up....who knows :wink:

Yea, I'll go large and a Diet Coke please, I'm trying to lose weight..

On a serious note, Spiro if I ever get to Swinley again (as I've relocated to the West Midlands) I'll be sure to stop for a chat..
  • SPIRO
    SPIRO wrote:

Yea, I'll go large and a Diet Coke please, I'm trying to lose weight..

On a serious note, Spiro if I ever get to Swinley again (as I've relocated to the West Midlands) I'll be sure to stop for a chat..

Onion rings or fries??

Look forward to it - it will cost you a go on your Kona or Felt though :wink:
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    whats wrong with flipping burgers at maccys.. at least it is a job, and you working to finance your hobbies....

spiro you say your a pilot in the raf,, would you be one of the raf pilots who were in the bearbackbiking chalet in september..

i have to agree with others i play golf with my mates and have a laugh, i'm totaly useless at it but still enjoy taking part in a sport with my friend..
    i hapen to own 3 top spec bikes ranging from 2-4k.. now cause i worked my way up from the shop floor to a supervisor , in a large internatinal company and can afford to spend my hard earned money from my stressfull job on things i like to do ie playing golf or mtbs does this make me any better than you or any one NO.. does it make me all the gear no idea NO,,,
    it means i worked hard took some pride in my self and achieved something with my life, i just happen to be able to spend what i feel on an expensive bike,, if this bothers you then tough try make something of your self then you can be in our position in 5 years time...
    i am not a clever person i am just an average working class man who worked hard to try and make something of himself.. :shock:
  • SPIRO
    delcol wrote:
    whats wrong with flipping burgers at maccys.. at least it is a job, and you working to finance your hobbies.

Nowt - Did it as a part-time job whilst at college and still have my badge with 5 gold stars :D . As for the chalet, no wasn't me (wish it was though - sounds ace!)
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    five gold stars :lol::lol::lol: do you wear it with your dog tags....

we had 3 raf helicopter pilots and 3 navagators in the chalet with us,, they were mental. one of them broke his sholder..
  • _Ferret_
    _Ferret_ Posts: 660
    colintrav wrote:

Is this a "bikes not being used to their full potential" rant?
    I can understand that it seems annoying for some people to have the best kit when they can't ride for sh1t - yeah I do get jeleous but then I have a nice bike and I'm sure there are people better than me who have worse bikes that might feel the same.
    Still - I look at it this way. Someone's got to buy all this top of the range kit to keep the evolution rolling - I can't afford it but if others can, then good on them. More people buying expensive bikes can only help our sport...
    Not really active
  • I drive a brand new, fully loaded, 3 series M-Sport, but not to its true potential, I have it because I like it and can afford it, does that put me in the same bracket as someone who has a top of the range bike but doesn't ride it to its true potential?

I have worked damn hard to be able to afford the nicer things in life, what is wrong with that? Fortunately we don't live in some Marxist type society which dictates that we should all be the same and all have the same, we live in a society which means we can make choices.
    Ridley Orion
  • _Ferret_
    _Ferret_ Posts: 660
    cars are always a good example.
    How many old grandads drive a mercedes because it's comfy. They'll never use it to their full potential but because they buy it all the technology included will be developed to be cheaper and trickle down to the less expensive models.
    People buying top end kit just helps push things forwards - no bad thing in my book...
    Not really active
  • Rich9
    Rich9 Posts: 1,635
    Rich9 wrote:

Steve Peat plays golf...

So do I, generally more than I ride my bike :oops:
    2014 Whyte T-129S
  • its the same old jealousy story..

The spoilt rich kid who gets everything of mommy/papa
    the little old lady driving a 60 grand car at 20mph..
    or that ugly fat middle aged man with a stunning 20 yr old blonde in his ferarri

thats life just suck it up, i have

poo happens, if you cant afford that 4k bike just make sure as hell you outride the guy next time you see him on the trails :wink:
    Carerra Fury 08
  • colintrav
    colintrav wrote:
    when the bike they bought last year is still good enough to ride but they want a new one no exceptions

I only brought a bike last month but I still want to buy new one,It's the old n+1 rule, you can't beat it!

Like a Girfiend I suppose you need that something extra to keep you interested ,,

Some GF's just aren't up for it whilst some are :D making it all the worth while 8)
  • I have a top-spec hardtail and a top-spec full susser, and ride both of them like an amateur, :oops:

Do I care? No!

Does it make me better than those that don't? No!

This forum is starting to get a bit catty and resentful of people who work hard and spend the hard-earned on their hobby. it's up to people to buy whatever makes them happy,

I don't give a toss about other peoples bikes when out, from £200 - £5k. I just ride, have a chat with like minded people and off I go...

The people who are complaining are just as bad as the twats that look down their noses at you (not everyone who rides a top-spec bike is a twat you know!!!)

So please, stop your effing whining and go ride your bike, WHATEVER IT IS...

And stop clogging up the forum with whiney shite like this!!!!
  • Cheesey wrote:

+1 on that... stop whining and get riding! :D
  • colintrav
    its the same old jealousy story..

The spoilt rich kid who gets everything of mommy/papa
    the little old lady driving a 60 grand car at 20mph..
    or that ugly fat middle aged man with a stunning 20 yr old blonde in his ferarri

thats life just suck it up, i have

poo happens, if you cant afford that 4k bike just make sure as hell you outride the guy next time you see him on the trails :wink:

This has got sfa to do with jealousy yer barking up the wrong tree ,
  • colintrav
    Cheesey wrote:
    I have a top-spec hardtail and a top-spec full susser, and ride both of them like an amateur, :oops:

Do I care? No!

Does it make me better than those that don't? No!

This forum is starting to get a bit catty and resentful of people who work hard and spend the hard-earned on their hobby. it's up to people to buy whatever makes them happy,

I don't give a toss about other peoples bikes when out, from £200 - £5k. I just ride, have a chat with like minded people and off I go...

The people who are complaining are just as bad as the twats that look down their noses at you (not everyone who rides a top-spec bike is a fool you know!!!)

So please, stop your effing whining and go ride your bike, WHATEVER IT IS...

I wrk 12 hr days 5 days a week and further more just because you aren't aware of such people in life that act like this It happens and it does

Your entitled to your view as I am to mine ..
  • Hercule Q
    Hercule Q Posts: 2,781
    i have average bikes and i'm faster than steve peat on his way to a free bar! :lol::wink:

pinkbike
    Blurring the line between bravery and stupidity since 1986!