A safer HGV?

fungus_the_muffin_man
fungus_the_muffin_man Posts: 1,608
edited November 2009 in Commuting chat
Now I couldn't take a pic of this as i was driving my car, but the other night in front of me was an HGV. THe 40 ft trailer of which was a huge don't speed whilst driving advert. The thing was though on the back of it just about head height on the left hand side was a bright yellow sign with " cyclist don't pass on this side". I've never ever seen this before on the back of a lorry and thought it was a great idea. Especially if it helps to educate those who try to squeeze through them on the inside. Has anyone else seen these before? And do you think they will help to stop the unfortuante accidents we've all heard about with cyclists v's lorries. Also should all HGV's be made to have them on the back as a warning?
Bianchi. There are no alternatives only compromises!
I RIDE A KONA CADABRA -would you like to come and have a play with my magic link?

Comments

• spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    Now I couldn't take a pic of this as i was driving my car, but the other night in front of me was an HGV. THe 40 ft trailer of which was a huge don't speed whilst driving advert. The thing was though on the back of it just about head height on the left hand side was a bright yellow sign with " cyclist don't pass on this side". I've never ever seen this before on the back of a lorry and thought it was a great idea. Especially if it helps to educate those who try to squeeze through them on the inside. Has anyone else seen these before? And do you think they will help to stop the unfortuante accidents we've all heard about with cyclists v's lorries. Also should all HGV's be made to have them on the back as a warning?

Saw a fioriegn HGV like this in London this week, sadly it said no to pass on right and to pass on the left.

It doesn't work when driven on other side of road!
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    You can warn..... but will they heed?

I mean lights at red, .....
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • I think some lorries have had them for a while; I'm sure I remember seeing some a few years back.

Be good if the practise increases though IMO.
  • I've seen a few lorries with those signs as well as the more common ''If you can't see me, I can't see you'' one.

But I've seen a lot more cyclists who routinely disregard signs. Some, though, will read them, and some of those that read them will actually do what the sign suggests. So there might be some lives saved or serious injuries avoided. And making it more generalised might raise HGV awareness.
  • spen666 wrote:

Saw a fioriegn HGV like this in London this week, sadly it said no to pass on right and to pass on the left.

It doesn't work when driven on other side of road!

That's a bit of a special case, I imagine. Won't a l-hand drive lorry have better vision on the left and a bigger blind spot on the right?
  • I saw one of these just the other day!
    I was utterly amazed by it :)
    "Clothing:
    None +3" Pure awesomeness!

A Felt Q520... My baby and first serious bike! - http://is.gd/9Vab
  • BentMikey
    BentMikey Posts: 4,895

There are quite a few vehicles like this in London. Don't forget though, many of the deaths are due to the drivers overtaking and left hooking the cyclists, and not the cyclists undertaking the HGV.