Safe to ride ?

Platti
Platti Posts: 130
edited November 2009 in Road beginners
Just got my ride back from the mechanic after having new wheels/cassette fitted. He has however spotted a crack at the front of the downtube. Its a carbon frame and I've already put things in motion to send it off to carbon cycle repairs but I really want to be getting out on it in the meantime. What are the chances of a high speed (probably impressive) crash due to bike collapse ?

Comments

• softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    depending on the severity of the crack, anything from 'unlikely' to 'very likely' - impossible to say without seeing it.

I suppose it depends how much you value your teeth, face, skull and other body parts.....
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I've been riding a cracked carbon frame for a while - it's on the seattube though - probably the least stressed tube on the frame - whereas the downtube is probably the most stressed and if it fails, it would be catastrophic. I wouldn't ride it until it's fixed.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Platti
    I think I'll have to agree. Got up this morning, sun out wanting to go for a ride but its not going to be a proper one if I did, I'll be thinking about it all the way. Have to dig the mountain bike out then.
  • Platti
    I think I'll have to agree. Got up this morning, sun out wanting to go for a ride but its not going to be a proper one if I did, I'll be thinking about it all the way. Have to dig the mountain bike out then.
  • Certainly no worth the risk. What if it fails whilst an enormous truck is overtaking and you go under the wheels... Get the MTB out :o