trails in devon?

lee96
lee96 Posts: 164
edited November 2009 in Routes
anybody know of any trails in devon other than the obvious like haldon and gawton?#

Comments

• MTB_Ads
    MTB_Ads Posts: 36
    What kind of riding?

Dartmoor/Exmoor/Woodbury Common are your friends, there are literally endless km's of riding to be done, there are quite a few set routes scatterd over the net. Heading anywhere inparticular?
  • lee96
    dartmoor and cornwall are closest as i live near plymouth.
  • Plenty of routes on Dartmoor. The high moorland ones can be weather dependant while the eastern edge ones are more woodland and tend to be more sheltered. Get an OS map out and go for an explore on the bridleways but take and compass, torch and a friend as it's a huge place and not to be underestimated. Haldon Forest at the top end of the A38 near Exeter racecourse has a few marked trails of varying difficulty. (See other recent posts on this).
    Scott Genius 08, Marin Rock Springs 08, Marin Pine Mountain 89
  • :oops: Sorry didn't read your post properly. All of the major bike mags print a steady supply of Dartmoor routes. Just pop in to WHSmiths on a regular basis and buy the ones that do and you'll soon build a decent collection. Alternatively there are a couple of guide books that cover the area. Princetown to Burrator Reservoir is a favourite in both - Downhill all the way down to the Eastern end and a long slow ascent along a disused railway up the western side. :wink: THe major routes are well armoured and rideable all year around but off them it can be VERY muddy so can take longer than you think. :wink:
  • camerauk
    camerauk Posts: 1,000
    I have the Burrator to Princetown route here http://www.gpsies.com/map.do?fileId=vmmnaebjsawktelt

and a harder return here http://www.gpsies.com/map.do?fileId=hdvgznbnsvhmbpwi

Hope they are of some use

You could link the Plymouth to Clearbrook trail I have on same site if you can find a way to join Clearbook to Burrator which would make a nice long route
    Specialized Camber Expert
    Specialized Allez Sport
  • Just found a link to this site http://www.1sw.org.uk/ on another post. Looks very promising for the future if they can get it together as long as the meaning of 'off road' doesn't just mean old railway lines! There is mention of some woods in Plymouth if you look up the October news (in the meeting section). :wink:
  • Cann woods is your bet for local riding. Get hold of Fatmuthahubbard on the STW forum and he'll show you around.

There's also Newnham, but you need to know where and when to go as it's all private land and frequented by people with guns in the daytime. Ace at night though.
  • lee96
    ok cheers guys, hopefully heading up to burrator soon for a little ride not sure if i have the same one as you i got my route from mbr in the november issue.
  • Just make sure you take a spare tube or two, plenty of drainage ditches / nice big sharp stoney descents to catch you out. But yeah great little ride, make sure you check up on the weather mind, it's pretty open up there on a windy day.

Can't remember what it's called now but I've got a southwest mountain biking book that has a whole load of exmoor / dartmoor / quantocks etc. routes on it, well worth the 8 or so quid it cost.
  • lee96
    ok cheers fellas.
    i know i started another topic on this but does anyone know about that brixham trail thing that the motorcross club use apparently its ok to bikers aswell.
  • camerauk
    I have not heard of this one, I am not sure a motocross trail would be very good for mountain biking but I could be wrong
    Specialized Allez Sport
  • Hercule Q
    Hercule Q Posts: 2,781
    woodbury common has about 4 days worth of riding on it

pinkbike
    Blurring the line between bravery and stupidity since 1986!
  • Should we have a bikeradar meet-up? I wouldn't mind knowing a few extra routes around Woodbury.
  • lee96
    ok then cheers guys, i wonder if one of the plymouth boys know anything. its not in brixham its just outside before the mitsubishi garage?
  • camerauk
    did a bit of searching and found this one near Kingswear which is outside Brixham

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?ie=UTF ... 2f035006a3
    Specialized Allez Sport
  • lee96
    ok thank you for that camerauk. i drove past the one my dad was on about its more like e freestyle motorcross track so. its on the brixham to plympton road. god i feel like a right t**t now, i meant brixton near plymouth not brixham in torquay sorry for that guys.http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&msa=0&t=h&msid=104800378950980324588.00045f714932f035006a3&ll=50.358029,-4.036274&spn=0.006201,0.019205&z=16
  • Hercule Q
    Hercule Q Posts: 2,781
    a woodbury meet would be quite cool but it would have to be when i have forks on my hardtail again cos the scott is a bit heavy for XC

pinkbike
    Blurring the line between bravery and stupidity since 1986!