West African hell

Le Commentateur
Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
edited November 2009 in The bottom bracket
Chilling photo essay about how the drugs trade can ravage a place;

http://www.lensculture.com/vernaschi.html?thisPic=1

It's only 150 miles from where Frank Vandebrouck took his last sex-tourist holiday. :?

"Our concept of the world of drug trafficking is often based on cultural influences like movies... it's not something that most of us normally experience in day to day life. When I set out to research and document this story, I wanted my pictures to be both unexpected and real, straight and metaphoric. This photo essay is built up on fragments of nightmares where blood, murder, sex and drug addiction violently reveal real human misery. I think that the explicit and cinematic approach used for most of these images helps to open the back door of our mind — our imagination — where our fears meet the truth.

"I also believe that if you want to tell about the madness and tragedy that surround the drug world you must in some way get your hands dirty: there is no way to dig into the mud and stay clean. So it was clear since the beginning that I needed to establish a strong connection with my characters. Developing this story meant that I had to live inside a real nightmare. The fear and tension stay with me, but I believe this is an important story to share with the world."

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    As if Africa didn't have enough worries. Sad.
  • nicensleazy
    nicensleazy Posts: 2,310
    Very interesting....thanks for posting!
  • 0scar
    0scar Posts: 219
    Guinea Bissau is a total narco state. According to the US State Department its GDP is 95% drug related, followed by growing nuts for export at 3%. The coast is made up of hundreds of islands and the coast guard only have 1 boat for the entire sea border. The government hasn't exerted control is years, let alone stood up to the drug traffickers. According to a US DEA agent quoted in the Observer "it was like moving into an empty house." Where do you even start?
    Commuter: Taped-up black Trek 2200 (FCN 5)
    Shiny bike: Pinarello FP2 (FCN 3)
  • Anyone got the e-mail addresses for various pop/movie/fashion stars & send it to them!
    Probably won't make them even hesitate for a moment before stuffing more Peruvian marching powder up their hooters.
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    Anyone got the e-mail addresses for various pop/movie/fashion stars & send it to them!
    Probably won't make them even hesitate for a moment before stuffing more Peruvian marching powder up their hooters.

It didn't used to bother me too much what type of recreational drugs people might occasionally use but over the years seeing what the drug trade has done to millions of people living in countries held hostage by the drug cartel's has changed my views. Living 30 miles north of Mexico we see plenty of corruption and killings every day going on just a bike ride away due to the USA's enormous demand for drugs. The previous mayor of Tijuana had been exposed as a drug money launderer before he was elected and a friend of mine living there had five headless bodies dumped 200 yards from his house 6 months ago. Stick with alcohol or what you can grow in your flat. :wink:
  • Sadly, a lot of commodities have a downside, where do you draw the line?
    Oil - driving force behind the middle east conflicts.
    Fish - due to overfishing by foreigners, Somali fishermen turn to piracy.
    Clothes - sweatshops.
    Diamonds - blood diamonds fund conflicts in Africa.
    Electronics - tantalite mines funds conflict in DR Congo.