Silent freewheel

domcarr
domcarr Posts: 85
edited November 2009 in Road beginners
I've just taken delivery of a new Kiron MTL Blade and I can't beleive the racket the freewheel makes! I've been MTBing for years and have only just returned to the road so this came as something of a surprise to me! Is there anything I can do to get rid of the clicking, or can anyone recommend a decent (good value) replacement freewheel that might be quieter / silent??

Thanks

Comments

• geoff_ss
    geoff_ss Posts: 1,201
    Well, you could always keep pedalling then you would ever hear the clicking. A noisy freewheel isn't something that bothers me to be honest. In fact I find it a reassuring sound because it means the pawls, pawl-springs and the ratchet are working. It's when it goes quiet I worry.

Geoff
    Old cyclists never die; they just fit smaller chainrings ... and pedal faster
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    fulcrum racing 7 wheelset?

Sorry not happening, maybe pull the carrier off and add a little more grease to the ratchet.

Guess you were using old shimano hubs on the MTB?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Evil Laugh
    Evil Laugh Posts: 1,412
    Shimano RS10 has silent freewheel.
  • daveclow
    daveclow Posts: 164
    my askium's started out noisy, but after a couple rides the clicking has gone! not sure if thats normal?
  • pud77
    pud77 Posts: 144
    My old Shimano R550 wheels were silent. From what I've read / heard most Shimano wheels seem to be about the quietest wheels out there.
  • Escargot
    Escargot Posts: 361
    I've wondered this too. My MTB is completely silent but my Ksyrium's are very metallic sounding.

I'd rather it was quiet too but suppose the clicking is useful when approaching horses/pedestrians etc.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Don't let it bother you, it's supposed to be noisy!
  • Meds1962
    Meds1962 Posts: 391
    It's worse if you go from Shimano to something else beacuse you're used to the quiet and a noisy freewheel sounds horrendous but you just get used to it. If you ride in a group you're bound to have to listen to some noisy mavic, richey or other similar anyway.
    O na bawn i fel LA
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    My ritchey freehub went quiet, then it died I think the crap was deadening the sound. Enjoy the clickyness :D
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • Interestingly, i went out with a guy on CK hubs last night, couldn't hear them. But then most of us have hope hubs, so you can hear the ride coming a mile off!!!!!!
  • freewheels are supposed to be noisy. it's a sign of quality.
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    In a group it's useful, you can tell when the guy in front suddenly stops pedalling
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    freewheels are supposed to be noisy. it's a sign of quality.
    That's what they say about Hugi hubs and freewheels, which are quality, but I doubt if it's generally true that noise = quality.
    The noise is why I've never chosen to have Hugi.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    I hate noisy freehubs. Out on a quiet summer's day, pootling along some quiet back lane, enjoying the silence, forget to keep pedalling and CLACKACLACKACLACKACLACKA splits the peace! Boo. No need for it.

Another one for Shimano here BTW (WH-R500).
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • enjoying the silence, forget to keep pedalling and CLACKACLACKACLACKACLACKA splits the peace! Boo. No need for it.
    so pedal :)

I doubt if it's generally true that noise = quality.
    DT - noisy
    Campag - noisy
    Hope - noisy
    White Industries - noisy

Shimano - quiet.

QE and frickin' D. ;)
  • My Ambrosio makes a racket, but built into a top quality wheel it makes the whole wheel sort of 'sing'. I quite like it and, as singlespeedexplosif said, "freewheels are supposed to be noisy. it's a sign of quality".

Ecto.

Only a Pawn in their Game...
  • QE and frickin' D. ;)

Nice use of Latin. +1

Only a Pawn in their Game...
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    enjoying the silence, forget to keep pedalling and CLACKACLACKACLACKACLACKA splits the peace! Boo. No need for it.
    so pedal :)

Pffft. Sometimes you just want to coast. I don't like noise in machines, it usually means something is striking something else too hard, or something is sliding on something that it shouldn't.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • My summary from this then is that Shimano is the way forward. Can't beleive so many people actually like that annoying CLICKEY CLACK racket!! Thanks for the info.
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    DT - noisy
    Campag - noisy
    Hope - noisy
    White Industries - noisy

Shimano - quiet.
    QE and frickin' D. ;)
    :?: QED or not, I don't understand your conclusion. Are you recommending Shimano? Or being ironic?
    I have heard Shimano are quiet, like I've also heard FRM and Fulcrum are, but noise isn't the only factor - in test reviews, both FRM and Fulcrum are rated better than Shimano, as are other makes which aren't quite so silent (like Citec).
    Domcarr, think again!

I used to have Campa hubs and they were quiet, not noisy as you (singlespeedexplosif) suggest. Nowadays I have Novatec and can silently freewheel/creep up on anyone, they are so quiet!
    (Novatec is what Planet-X use on their Aero Model B wheels on their SL Pro Carbon Dura Ace bike. I haven't got those wheels or that bike, but I have wheels from an independent wheelbuilder, using that same hub.)
  • soveda
    soveda Posts: 306
    knedlicky wrote:
    DT - noisy
    Campag - noisy
    Hope - noisy
    White Industries - noisy

Shimano - quiet.
    QE and frickin' D. ;)
    :?: QED or not, I don't understand your conclusion. Are you recommending Shimano? Or being ironic?
    I have heard Shimano are quiet, like I've also heard FRM and Fulcrum are, but noise isn't the only factor - in test reviews, both FRM and Fulcrum are rated better than Shimano, as are other makes which aren't quite so silent (like Citec).
    Domcarr, think again!

I used to have Campa hubs and they were quiet, not noisy as you (singlespeedexplosif) suggest. Nowadays I have Novatec and can silently freewheel/creep up on anyone, they are so quiet!
    (Novatec is what Planet-X use on their Aero Model B wheels on their SL Pro Carbon Dura Ace bike. I haven't got those wheels or that bike, but I have wheels from an independent wheelbuilder, using that same hub.)

My Fulcrum rear hub is noisy, sounds like the Hope hubs on my MTB
  • Ax
    Ax Posts: 36
    I’ve got to confess to being a bit disappointed when I bought my first proper road bike earlier this year only to discover that it didn’t make a nice clickety-click noise!
    2005 Dawes Galaxy
    2008 Specialized Rockhopper Disc
    2009 Focus Variado Expert
  • geoff_ss
    geoff_ss Posts: 1,201
    I'm told our DT tandem rear hub is quite noisy. However I'm getting deaf and it's a long way away so I don't bother :) I just hope it's strong enough to cope with our awesome power output.

Geoff
    Old cyclists never die; they just fit smaller chainrings ... and pedal faster
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    I run Campag Record hubs and they are noisy when new but are getting quieter. On my training bike I run Fulcrums and they are noisy, but Fulcrums are made by Campag so that explains it.

I'm told that the Shimano are known as being quiet and you can always tell a Campag rider in a group by the noise from his hub.