Has the Goverment pulled the plug on the Ride2work scheme ?

colintrav
colintrav Posts: 1,074
edited November 2009 in MTB general
Today I was left feeling rather pissed off was looking forward to getting myself a new ride through my Company I work for through the Ride2work scheme ,

Only to be told this afternoon it's not available till next spring ,, And am like WTF ..

Not impressed in the Slightest

Comments

• Hercule Q
    Hercule Q Posts: 2,781
    looks like you'll have to wait for the 2011 bikes now :roll:

pinkbike
    Blurring the line between bravery and stupidity since 1986!
  • colintrav
    Oh the sarcasm lol
  • Hercule Q
    Hercule Q Posts: 2,781
    lol its late :lol:

pinkbike
    Blurring the line between bravery and stupidity since 1986!
  • rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    edited March 2010
  • My company offered the Bike to work scheme for about 4 weeks, it closed around march/april time and won't be open again till next march. Think that most companies do similar windows of opportunities to get one through the scheme.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Unlucky, but it's nothing to do with the Gov't, just your company choosing when to offer the scheme. It's probably easier to deal with everything in a few weeks, than have orders coming through in dribs and drabs all year round.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    As said it will be your company not the gov't...

And strictly its Cycle2Work scheme....

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Kanya
    Kanya Posts: 90
    Hi, I work for a company who do the flexible benefits offered to companies such as the one you work for.

The Cycle2Work scheme is an Annual enrolment only. At renewal, eg January, the "window" opens, and staff are allowed to make their selections, one of them being bikes. Some benefits, such as childcare vouchers can be changed at any point mid year, however bikes are only allowed to be selected at this renewal window of around 4 weeks.

Same goes for new joiners who start at their company, they would have to wait until this window reopens in January for example.

So when your company tells you that you can't select the Cycle2Work scheme they offer - it's purely because this is an annual selection benefit - you WILL get the option to take this benefit when the scheme renews. The reason the bikes are on this basis is due to the amount of admin involved, especially with Halfords. It is better for us to process 1000 forms in one go than 1 every other day on an ad hoc basis as Letters of Collection are involved etc.

So hold out until Spring mate :) it sucks but thats the way it works for every company and has nowt to to with the government pulling the scheme.

That said...Labour are intending to pull Childcare vouchers and are discussing pulling the tax relief on bike schemes in the future. So a heads up, defo select that bike as soon as you are able to.
    2009 - Boardman Pro '09 HT MTB
    2013 - Cannondale F29 1 '13
    2017 - Haibike Freed 7.5 carbon HT + full Hope parts (no..not an e-bike)
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    My company's scheme is running as normal - runs from Jan each year.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • colintrav
    Daz555 wrote:

That is how it should be done ...

And I was the only person that actually enquired about this scheme ,

Am better off going to the bike shop on my next day off and get one there n then Am no waiting till next April I've no patience to wait that long .. ..
  • Kanya
    colintrav wrote:
    Daz555 wrote:

That is how it should be done ...

And I was the only person that actually enquired about this scheme ,

Am better off going to the bike shop on my next day off and get one there n then Am no waiting till next April I've no patience to wait that long .. ..

When he says "running as normal - runs from Jan" he meant his "window" opens in January and probably closes end of Jan. You usually get the voucher about 3 weeks later.

If I were you...I'd get some patience. You can buy the bike on your next day off sure. However think of the tax saving. eg I got a Boardman Pro HT 09 for £999. Total cost to me = £705. If I were to sell the bike at the end of the term, the depreciation is less than if I bought it for full RRP.

Up to you though mate, it's winter now - if you are just getting into biking I'd hold off til April or if you are deadset on cycling...get a cheap run about until then and flog that in April.

It doesn't matter what company you work for when they offer these cycle to work schems - all are annual enrolment only, no mid year joiners to the benefit. It sucks but it's always been that way unfortunately.
  • Steve_b77
    Steve_b77 Posts: 1,680
    It's at the disgression on the company AFAIK.

Mine run it in April time, but have the option to run an additional scheme in October/November, which they haven't taken up this year.
  • Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    It is at the discretion of the company - fortunately, mine runs it twice a year.

OP - if you can drum up enough demand, it might be worth asking them to run a second enrolment window. Worth asking, at least...

It is a bit of a pain in the backside for whoever has to administer the scheme (i.e. HR person), so it's not surprising that companies offer limited times for employees to take advantage of it.
  • Kanya
    Monkeypump wrote:
    It is at the discretion of the company - fortunately, mine runs it twice a year.

OP - if you can drum up enough demand, it might be worth asking them to run a second enrolment window. Worth asking, at least...

It is a bit of a pain in the backside for whoever has to administer the scheme (i.e. HR person), so it's not surprising that companies offer limited times for employees to take advantage of it.

Pretty much spot on - it's extremely rare to find a company that offers a bi-annual option to join.

We have one we administer who offer their employees the option to join at any point in the year. The initial enrolment window, plus a "Lifestyle event" such as getting married etc may give them the option to select. Again this is super duper rare due to the admin involved. On one side you have your companies HR time and then the flex staff who operate the flex website time = expensive for an adhoc request.

As stated above, I'd ask - your company may get you a discretionary lifestyle event and this may give you the option to select. If you don't ask you don't get :)