Training with a power meter and a turbo

sergen
sergen Posts: 39
I've got a Cycleops Fluid2 which I bought last year but ever since I purchased a powertap earlier this summer I've realised that I just cannot sustain even 85% of FTP for more than 15 minutes when I'm on the thing. It's sheer agony. I've read Alex Simmon's blog and I'm convinced that the issue here is inertia/flywheel related - namely that the Fluid2 just has a huge 'dead spot' in the pedal stroke that makes it too hard to maintain FTP workouts.

I know that it's very common for most people to find indoor cycling harder but 85% of FTP for 15 minutes is just ridiculous. I can't afford a £1,500 Cycleops 300 indoor bike which has a huge flywheel and powertap attached ( but I must admit that it looks the nuts). So what turbo trainers are people using that allow them to get in decent L4 workouts?

Thanks.

Comments

• phil s
    phil s Posts: 1,128
    The Kurt Kinetic Pro with the additional 12lb flywheel (bringing it up to 18lb total) is a great trainer. Are you sure the so-called deadspot is the issue though? I find the only thing that'll stop me getting a hard workout on any given trainer (assuming it's smooth, which the cycleops is) is getting too hot.
    -- Dirk Hofman Motorhomes --
  • sergen
    sergen Posts: 39
    I've got a massive fan going - not quite industrial size but definitely good enough.

My legs jut feel as if they have to work so much harder on each up-stroke of the pedal as there is no inertia propelling them forward into the down-stroke.
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    I have the CycleOps Fluid 2 and a PowerTap.
    I find the turbo to be very smooth.
    Unfortunately, I did my initial FTP Test on the turbo, so can't compare.
    You got me thinking, now.... :?
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • APIII
    APIII Posts: 2,010
    I find it harder to maintain the same power on a turbo. I can, however, now manage 2x20 @90-95% of FTP, but it took me three or four attempts before I could complete the sets. Some of it must be psychological, some of it heat related (I've got a floor standing fan, but still sweat more than on any alpine climb). I think perserverance is key.
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    I would definitely make sure it is not a cooling issue before making any drastic changes.

I have a PowerTap and a Fluid II. I estimated my FTP using 60 min NP from some really hard road rides. I struggled with intervals done on my turbo in the back yard, until I brought the fan out and had it right in my face (it's a 50 W fan). Literally, I could not manage one 10 min interval at about 120% of FTP without any cooling, but was fairly comfortable (all things considered) once I'd got the fan *right* in front of me.

I do still feel like I won't quite be able to replicate my road FTP on the turbo, but I'll only be 5 or 10 Watts down. It must be something with your set-up.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • bahzob
    bahzob Posts: 2,195
    Very bizarre. My first thought was that FTP is whats wrong but cant be if you are using Powertap for all measures (and assuming you can ride same bike easily 85% on road for much longer than 15 mins).

Like others only thing thats caused close to that for me is overheating but u say you've got a fan and anyway you'd know that was the problem.

Can say you dont need to spend thousands. I use a Kurt Kinetic, but from recent other posts these can be hard to find. But other guys in club use whole range of turbos from under £100 and up and none have problem similar to what you report

Other option for L4 workouts are rollers which you can get cheap or pay more for ones with resistance (these are great: http://www.cyclestore.co.uk/productDetails.asp?productID=6750 I much prefer using these for 2x20 and the like as time seems to pass quicker and the workout feels much more like real riding. And of course you can guarantee you wont get equipment problems like the one you seem to have.
    Martin S. Newbury RC
  • bahzob
    bahzob Posts: 2,195
    Interesting but enough to explain being unable to do 15mins at 85% of FTP when using same powermeter and according to OP being well cooled?
    Martin S. Newbury RC
  • bahzob wrote:
    Interesting but enough to explain being unable to do 15mins at 85% of FTP when using same powermeter and according to OP being well cooled?
    Perhaps the meter needs to be zeroed?

But I know that I had a mag unit once on which I couldn't sustain a whole power level below what was intended. It was, literally, awful and a complete waste of my training time..
  • Murr X
    Murr X Posts: 258
    bahzob wrote:
    Yes, my guess is that there may be a large phychological element behind it also.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I had the same problem when I had a Tacx Sirius (although not quite as much difference) and it was much better but still not bob on when I got a Tacx Satori. This has a bigger flywheel.

Wish I'd gone for a Kurt Kinetic or Cyclops now though...
  • nmcgann
    nmcgann Posts: 1,780
    sergen wrote:
    ....... So what turbo trainers are people using that allow them to get in decent L4 workouts?

Thanks.

Tacx Flow (with and without the imagic upgrade), no probs. Also Tacx Sirius.

There is a very relentless quality to doing hard efforts on the turbo. It's never easy :wink:
    --
    "Because the cycling is pain. The cycling is soul crushing pain."