MTB BSO's

The Rookie
The Rookie Posts: 27,812
edited November 2009 in MTB beginners
I read this report http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/b ... ects-23838 with interest and await the programme.

I would add that we bought my daughter what would be considered a BSO (Shogun Jackal) which she has now ridden frequantly (including 2.5 miles to/from school daily for the last 2 years and frequant trisp to the Leamington 4X track) and while its heavy (despite the ally frame) and clunky its been very reliable, rear wheel bearing has just needed rebuilding (and as the axle shaft is bent slightly that will need replacing) and it now needs a new BB (my spare was 113mm it needs 122) and the 'tourney' rear mech has a little more play than is ideal, I really can't complain at the level of service it has given for £80. So they aren't all stinkers!

So anyone else have any thoughts?

Simon
Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    edited November 2009
    Not all are, no, but there are far cheaper and worse models than the Jackal.

I bought an Asda £70 bike last year, and it was an abomination - no way can someone at home assemble that to a good standard with the tools supplied.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    http://www.falconcycles.co.uk/CORP/Shogun/jackal.html

That is not really the sort of bikes we are talking about.
  • Kiblams
    Kiblams Posts: 2,423
    supersonic wrote:
    http://www.falconcycles.co.uk/CORP/Shogun/jackal.html

That is not really the sort of bikes we are talking about.

+1, but then IMO BSO's are fine for light commuting.
  • The Rookie
    SS yes my daughter has an earlier model, although the frame is the same, she has specced the front up to disc this summer with new forks and a disc and calliper from my box o bits.

Given a choice between the shogun for £80 (not sure what you can get it for now!) and the Asda thing for £70, the choice is clear!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Kiblams
    Kiblams Posts: 2,423
    Given a choice between the shogun for £80 (not sure what you can get it for now!) and the Asda thing for £70, the choice is clear!

You mean the Shogun right? :?
  • The Rookie
    Yes....... :lol:

I think the point I've made here is that while you need to spend more than the the £70 ASDA etc ask, the shogun has proved to be an enjoyable and pretty reliable bike for a lot less than £400, OK £80 was a steal, but they are readily available for £170-200, V-brakes are unknown label at the front Shimano Deore branded at the rear (identical parts mind you), Tourney rear mech, seperate cranks arms (not horrible bent through thingies) and easily improved to keep up for my Daughter as and when needed (She's gone disc front now as she rides through too many puddles for rims!).

Its clearly not as good as a £400 bike, but its much closer to that than the £70 BSO's you can get elsewhere.

Simon