Winter tyre advice - 700x25c

Joe86
Joe86 Posts: 180
edited November 2009 in Road beginners
Hey all. Recently had a rip in the crappy Black Comp 700x25 I got with my Variado, and I'm on the lookout for new tyres. My LBS has a few in stock, and one of them is a
Schwalbe Blizzard. I want something that isn't slick, and is similar in grip to what I have now. Something that has a little bit of grip, but that won't slow me down that much.

Here is the blizzard I'm looking at.
TYS244.jpg

schwalbe-blizzard-zoom.jpg

Here is an image of my front tyre (Black comp), which I only have had for 3 months and it hasn't shown too much wear, so the picture is a pretty good indicator of the tyre tread when it was new.

25yvy3s.jpg

From the pictures it would seem the tread is similar, and the Blizzard should do a nice job for me in the winter, without really slowing me down?

Panaracer Crosstown
CrossTown26x150Ref.jpg

This is the other option, and it seems like it would be way too grippy compared to what I'm used to.

Would appreciate your input.

Cheers

Joe

Comments

• alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    If riding on the road, any form of tread pattern will reduce grip (as it reduces the contact patch), not increase it, slick tyres are the grippiest for any given tyre size. Aquaplaning is impossible on bike tyres.
  • The Blizzard/Lugano should be fine. Your original tyre looks like the old blizzard pattern. Anymore tread and you're into the touring tyres like Panaracers which will be heavier and sluggish by comparison.
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • Joe86
    Joe86 Posts: 180
    The Blizzard/Lugano should be fine. Your original tyre looks like the old blizzard pattern. Anymore tread and you're into the touring tyres like Panaracers which will be heavier and sluggish by comparison.

Thanks for the advice guys. I went down to my LBS and had a look, they were the Kevlar ones and looked pretty nice. I bought a pair :) and ended up paying a few £ less than online too :)