Scooterist

Lbaguley
Lbaguley Posts: 161
edited November 2009 in Commuting chat
A few hundred yards from my house this morning, I was coming up to a mini roundabout following two cars. I noticed that there was a car approaching the r'bout from the right and started to slow in anticipation of the two cars in front stopping to give way. Just as I'm puling to a stop two metres or so behind the car in front I hear a skid and brace for impact. I get my foot down just as I receive a slight bump on my rear wheel followed by the sound of something going crunch.

I look around a bit shocked and see a lad on the floor picking himself out from under his scooter - one of those three wheeled jobbies. I ask him if he's ok and he just sits there looking at me as if I'd just shot his dog and shaking his head. So I repeat my question. He sits there looking dumb. I try again. Still nothing apart from him looking at me like it was my fault for stopping in front of him. He gets up, a bit gingerly, but it's clear he's not really hurt. So I say, "Right you are, then. I'm off. Take care, fella."

I feel quite guilty for leaving like that, but I'd given him plenty of opportunity to speak/do something. On the other hand I was a little incredulous that he should look at me as if it could be my fault.

Comments

• cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    No reason to feel guilty.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Scooter as in something you propel with one foot or as in small rubbish motorbike?
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,577
    One of these non?

piaggio_20mp3.gif

For people with no balance.

Dan
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • Lbaguley
    Lbaguley Posts: 161
    Scooter as in something you propel with one foot or as in small rubbish motorbike?

Oh, hadn't thought of it like that. Yeah, it was one of the three wheeled motorscooters (Piaggio MP3??) - thank for the pic Daniel B.

I thought they were supposed to be a bit safer than a normal scooter - i.e. it was difficult to make them fall over. Guess it doesn't matter that you've got three wheels if you ride it like a numpty.
  • Scooterist now telling all his friends that he was knocked off by a lycra lout this morning
    <a>road</a>
  • rich_e
    rich_e Posts: 389
    Wow, that's actually quite impressive that he managed to fall off that thing.

Unless maybe when he saw he was going to just hit you, he threw himself off? Hence major embarrasement and inability to communicate! :lol:
  • rally200
    rally200 Posts: 646
    That is NOT a scooter, it's an affront.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    The little Scooter Cooter was lucky you didn't batter him for driving like such a kn0b

Don't feel sorry, my experience is that scooters are ridden by lame-o's who don't have the cojones or skill to get a proper 'bike

As for 3 wheeled scooter - oh dear

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    I like those three wheel scooters, but then I still have the scars on my shoulder from coming off a two wheeled one in Thailand some years ago.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • wo0dy
    wo0dy Posts: 3
    Daniel B wrote:

For people with no balance.

Dan

Obviously :lol:
  • wo0dy
    rally200 wrote:

I assume from that statement, your username and your avatar that you know what you're talking about.

Is that your Rally in the picture? I had a blue one a few years back, I recently found a brand new wiring loom for it when i was looking for some bits in my shed.
  • Saw loads of those three whelers in Switzerland. Hadn't come across them before and I thought they looked cool :oops:
  • rally200
    rally200 Posts: 646
    wo0dy wrote:
    rally200 wrote:

I assume from that statement, your username and your avatar that you know what you're talking about.

Is that your Rally in the picture? I had a blue one a few years back, I recently found a brand new wiring loom for it when i was looking for some bits in my shed.

A man of taste

I wish - swapped my last Rally for a GP200 - now long since sold

Wiring a Rally was a bugger - well at least it was on mine as I was trying to make do with a non-battery 180 loom - ah happy days
  • crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    The guy sounds a little vertically challenged since he can't even stay upright on a 3 wheeler. I wouldn't worry about leaving if I were you. What else were you supposed to do when he won't even answer your questions? I saw a guy on a motorbike smash into the back of a large Cadillac that was stopped behind about 20 other cars at a red light. He gets up and asks "why did that guy stop?" :shock:
  • Stuey01
    Stuey01 Posts: 1,273
    What else were you supposed to do when he won't even answer your questions?

check he hasn't had a bump on the noggin and can't answer your questions?

Sounds like someone possibly suffering from concussion or shock from the original post.
    Or you could just assume everything was OK and ride off, you know, leaving the scene of an accident - something that dirvers are regularly pilloried for on here.
    Not climber, not sprinter, not rouleur
  • Flasheart
    Flasheart Posts: 1,278
    Asprilla wrote:
    I like those three wheel scooters, but then I still have the scars on my shoulder from coming off a two wheeled one in Thailand some years ago.

Did you have a Thai hooker on your handlebars like my mate did when he fell off when we were there?
    I wish I had a camera on me then. :lol:
    The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle. ...Stapp’s Ironical Paradox Law
    FCN3
    http://img87.yfrog.com/img87/336/mycubeb.jpg
    http://lonelymiddlesomethingguy.blogspot.com/
  • wo0dy
    rally200 wrote:

A man of taste

I wish - swapped my last Rally for a GP200 - now long since sold

Wiring a Rally was a bugger - well at least it was on mine as I was trying to make do with a non-battery 180 loom - ah happy days

I sold my GP and bought the Rally! The GP was a 205 Honda Stage 4 tuned by Ralph Saxlby and I was living in London at the time so commuting was quite "tedious". The Rally was much more sedate but still carried loads of style.

Sorry for hijacking the thread and talking about (classic Italian) scooters.
  • chuckcork
    chuckcork Posts: 1,471
    Idiot on scooter going too fast, as so many do, failed to notice the traffic in front of him had stopped and then dropped his bike just before he would have taken you out, and you're feeling guity?

What should you have done different, other than perhaps make sure (as a decent Human Bean) that he was OK from taking his tumble?
    'Twas Mulga Bill, from Eaglehawk, that caught the cycling craze....
  • georgee
    georgee Posts: 537
    Sure he wasn't just seething internally from not having the sense, money or ability to have got him self a bicycle or a motorbike. these poor scooter drivers are very unfortunate to be having to live such shameful depressing lives.
  • Are you sure it was HIS scooter?

It could have been a getaway scooter.