Tights... really?

pst88
pst88 Posts: 621
edited November 2009 in Commuting chat
Well I just bought my first pair of bib tights on the recommendations of other people on here but I can't say I'm entirely convinced. I can't go out of the house dressed like that! It feels like I'm going around in just my pants... aren't there laws against that kind of thing? I might be able to get over that but the pair I bought (Altura Nightvision Bibtights) don't really seem warm enough to wear out in winter with nothing over them, but surely that negates the point of having nightvision ones? If I decide to stick with bibtights can anyone recommend a pair that are warm enough to wear in winter as a single layer?
Bianchi Via Nirone Veloce/Centaur 2010

Comments

• I use Endura Thermolites when it drops below about 5 degrees. I've had mine about 6 years and they are the older style with a buckle adjustment on the straps...these irritate me a little but it seems the new version have done away with them...so top job I reckon. I crashed in them once and ripped a hole in the thigh, I phoned Endura and they sent me a patch of material to fix them with.

I look good in mine :wink:
  • deffler
    deffler Posts: 829
    Ive started wearing DHB Merston Bib tights & they are more than warm enough.

I wear baggies over mine as I too dont feel right in just the tights :oops:

Overall im pleased I invested in a pair of tights
    Boardman Hybrid Pro

Planet X XLS
  • BentMikey
    BentMikey Posts: 4,895
    Hahahaha! Points and laughs at the modesty shorts.

:twisted: :wink:
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    I had to wear tights on the train yesterday, be proud sunshine you've probably got legs worth looking at! :D

I've got some v. old lusso roubaix tights they're plenty warm in the freezing cold. ATM i'm just wearing some plain thin lycra running tights over normal shorts. I do run quite hot though, I'm a bit of a sweaty betty.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • pastryboy
    pastryboy Posts: 1,385
    I always wear 'normal' shorts over any form of lycra shorts.

just feels wrong otherwise.
  • Yes, really!

Mmmmmmm toasty. Mine are all fleecy and lovely.
  • iclestu
    iclestu Posts: 503
    pst88 wrote:
    Well I just bought my first pair of bib tights on the recommendations of other people on here but I can't say I'm entirely convinced. I can't go out of the house dressed like that! It feels like I'm going around in just my pants... aren't there laws against that kind of thing? I might be able to get over that but the pair I bought (Altura Nightvision Bibtights) don't really seem warm enough to wear out in winter with nothing over them, but surely that negates the point of having nightvision ones? If I decide to stick with bibtights can anyone recommend a pair that are warm enough to wear in winter as a single layer?

As a recent convert, my advice is just get over it and get out there. I weigh just a fraction under 18stone and walking into work in them 1st couple of times was difficult (I have the dhb full length jobs), but they are soooo comfortable compared to my baggies and very warm. (have you actually tried yours in cold weather? they were much much warmer than I thought they'd be!)

As a funny aside, the 1st time I wore them to the office a couple of my female colleagues commented on my new 'leggings'. I found myself getting all defensive and saying "They are not LEGGINGS. They are TIGHTS". Yeah - that makes all the difference, very masculine!

Seriously though, just do it for a couple of times and you wont look back!
    FCN 7: Dawes Galaxy Ultra 2012 - sofa-like comfort to eat up the miles

Reserve: 2010 Boardman CX Pro
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    pst88 once you've stood around in the pub wearing your tights you'll get over it :)
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    itboffin wrote:
    pst88 once you've stood around in the pub wearing your tights you'll get over it :)
    At the weekends ITB likes to be known as Valerie.

Yeah, first time is the worst but very quickly becomes mundane. You'll realise the baggies were soooo uncomfortable in comparison and will never go back.

For me, it's still too warm in london for tights. I've got some roubaix (inner fleecy surface) knee-warmers, which are perfect just now.
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Lycra all the way, would feel wrong wearing baggies over the top as well.

Mind you the girls in the office were rather shocked when I said I rode commando....
  • Lycra all the way, would feel wrong wearing baggies over the top as well.

Mind you the girls in the office were rather shocked when I said I rode commando....
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    so you wear bib shorts ok but when the lycra gets longer it weirds you out?

Why, the money shot is still there just as before, you're actually covering up more

Everyone feels a dick in tights, it's just something you get used to
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    Winter tights like dhb Merstons are plenty warm enough on their own, and as for the going-out-in-your-pants thing, you'll get over it!
  • pst88
    The only other problem is where do I keep my phone/keys/wallet etc? I might have to get... A BUM BAG!! I don't know what's worse, wearing tights in public or wearing a bum bag.
  • Its never worried me at all wearing tights altho' I generally prefer regular bib shorts with leg warmers. I think its a good look
    Cannondale Supersix / CAAD9 / Boardman 9.0 / Benotto 3000
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    pst88 wrote:
    The only other problem is where do I keep my phone/keys/wallet etc? I might have to get... A BUM BAG!! I don't know what's worse, wearing tights in public or wearing a bum bag.

Do you not wear a cycling-specific jersey or jacket with two/three rear pockets?
  • pst88
    biondino wrote:
    pst88 wrote:

Do you not wear a cycling-specific jersey or jacket with two/three rear pockets?
    Yes I do. I never really thought of putting my wallet or phone in there though, I'd be worried they'd fall out!
  • sian_c
    sian_c Posts: 101
    Now a bum bag you really CAN'T get away with! They should be out-lawed!
    Get yourself a good saddle bag. If you have enough stuff that you need to carry from your bike to the office, then get one that has quick release clips & so it's dead easy to clip on & off.

On the tights issue, indeed it is something you just get used to. Plus it's inspiration to get fit so you look a bit better (or 'less bad') in them! I've just ordered some Endura FS260 Pro leg warmers as I already have some of their knee warmers which are great - just need some extra length on the colder days.
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    pst88 wrote:
    biondino wrote:
    pst88 wrote:

Yes I do. I never really thought of putting my wallet or phone in there though, I'd be worried they'd fall out!

Only if they have holes in - if you think about it the combination of elastic pockets, riding position and gravity means it's almost impossible to lose them unless you have a fall yourself or something.
  • sian_c
    sian_c Posts: 101
    Just be wary of what you do put in your pockets, as if you come off, a) you might damage them (like your phone), or b) even worse, they might damage *you* (like sharp keys situated around your kidneys....)!

Don't let me scare you tho :wink:
  • Clever Pun wrote:

Why, the money shot is still there just as before, you're actually covering up more

Loving it, more than a few people asked why I was chuckling quite so loudly... :lol:
    Cheers CP
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • Are you lot in longs already?? Lightweights .....

Still in shorts here (though I did think I was being cryogenically preserved yesterday morning)
    Specialized Roubaix Pro SL : Litespeed Titanium Siena : Specialized Allez : Specialized Tri Cross :
    Specialized Rockhopper
  • I uncovered a very old pair of my thermals bought pre 1995 likely. I'm still a shortarse so suspect they will fit if it ever is required in london. Shorts and ss jersey were fine this morning, they just got wetter than normal.
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    biondino wrote:
    pst88 wrote:
    biondino wrote:
    pst88 wrote:

Only if they have holes in - if you think about it the combination of elastic pockets, riding position and gravity means it's almost impossible to lose them unless you have a fall yourself or something.

I skidded on some cobbles once and as I hit the ground knee first I saw my ipod fly down the path ahead of me.

Pst88, you dont carry a bag/panniers at all on your commute?
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • I wore "tights" for the first time this morning. Actually my Scuba drysuit undersuit bottoms.
    Was a little bit too warm but was glad I was wearing them what with the rain.
    I did go for normal running shorts over the top, it just seemed like the natural thing to do.
  • Clever Pun wrote:

What you do in your own time really shouldn't be shared :wink:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    pst88 wrote:

1) "I can't go out of the house dressed like that!" If you don't like the look of them then wear something else instead

2) "he pair I bought (Altura Nightvision Bibtights) don't really seem warm enough to wear out in winter" Altura stuff is cheap but it is usually ok. Don't you find with cycling clothing that it is too warm once you reallly get moving?

3) I can recommend Endura Thermolite Biblongs and Gore Action bibtights. Windproof tights are better than thick tights
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    +1 for the DHB Merstons. Worn them on several FNRttCs, stayed pleasantly toasty. Going at 15-20 mph generally helps! Probikekit also do some excellent Prorace winter ones (bit heavier, but great for the real cold...).
    And who gives a (pick expression of your choice) what you look like? The kind of people who feel the need to make comments are generally in no position to talk about anyone else looking stupid.
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • skyd0g
    skyd0g Posts: 2,540
    Clever Pun wrote:

:shock: What sort of places do you hang out in?
    ...the most I usually get is a passing glance.

...maybe I should call in to the greengrocers, prior to entering the pub. :wink:
    Cycling weakly
  • iclestu
    iclestu Posts: 503
    skyd0g wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:

:shock: What sort of places do you hang out in?
    ...the most I usually get is a passing glance.

...maybe I should call in to the greengrocers, prior to entering the pub. :wink:

I think mine would need a whole lot of feeling to emerge from lycra-enduced 'hibernation'

That's something else for the OP to be aware of. Noone told me and suffice to say I was a little concerned at the level of srinkage 1st couple of times.....
    FCN 7: Dawes Galaxy Ultra 2012 - sofa-like comfort to eat up the miles

Reserve: 2010 Boardman CX Pro