Any Club or Group rides in central Fife on Saturdays?

kfinlay
kfinlay Posts: 763
edited November 2009 in Road beginners
Been going out solo for a few months now but would really like to get out with a groupd as should help me improve more. I know of a group ride from Lesley Bike Shop but this is Sunday and I usually work a Sunday morning - had the last 2 off and it's p!$$ed down :(

Would be willing to drive to Glenrothes/Kirkcaldy/Dunfermline or surrounding areas but not up as far as Cupar or St Andrews

Any help appreciated
Kev

Summer Bike: Colnago C60
Winter Bike: Vitus Alios
MTB: 1997 GT Karakorum

Comments

• daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Hi,

Dunfermline Cycle Club, Glen Gates in Dunfermline at the bottom of the high Street, 9:00.

Usually 10-25 people (weather dependant) going 35-40 miles at an average of 16-18mph with a coffee stop after 1 1/2-2 hours. Usually back to town for 12:00-12:30.
    No need to join the club but after a few rides I thought it was only fair. £12/year isn't much after all :P

http://www.dunfermlinecyclingclub.co.uk/

There may be others closer but it is a start, and an option.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • kfinlay
    cheers for that, I'm in Cardenden so they are just along the road. I'm currently doing around 35 miles at about 17mph but have been looking for more and more hilly routes. This weekend I did 600m climbing in 28 miles, ave 15mph :oops: - a bit difficult to do more unless I want to go over Falkland hill a few times (which I plan to do :shock: )
    Kev

• dov2711
    dov2711 Posts: 131
    Try Falkland hill from the Leslie side (go down the hill at the YMCA) first off. The climb the other way is altogether more challenging (well was for me anyway)

If your after a nice wee hilly route have you tried heading towards KDYand on to Auchtertool from the Raith estate side then carry on through one of any number of directions.

We are really well placed IMO for access to some great routes pity about the garbage quality road surfaces.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    kfinlay wrote:
    cheers for that, I'm in Cardenden so they are just along the road. I'm currently doing around 35 miles at about 17mph but have been looking for more and more hilly routes. This weekend I did 600m climbing in 28 miles, ave 15mph :oops: - a bit difficult to do more unless I want to go over Falkland hill a few times (which I plan to do :shock: )

Given those stats you will be okay.

It is much easier in a bunch. 8)

I know I am fit after the winter when I am capable of cycling from Dunfermline to Falkland, go over the hill from the "hard" side, cycle home, and not die :lol:
    Hoping to keep going this winter so as not to lose the fitness in the first place :oops:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • kfinlay
    Was going to do falkland hill from the Falkland side only because the descent on that side will be well scary at this time of the year as a lot of it is thru trees and all those dropped leaves !

You're right about having plenty of routes though, heres a couple of my favs

www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php?id=22514 - not too hilly but some good roads and scenery

www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php?id=24945 this is the one I did last weekend

and this is the planned Falkland hill route: www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php?id=24849
    probably try this in the nextcouple of weeks want to do route 24945 a couple of more times. :)

I'm orginally from Kirkcaldy BTW - grew up mainly in Redcraigs and used to cycle all over the place about 25 years ago.
    Kev