£1000 - Evans

okgo
okgo Posts: 4,368
edited November 2009 in Road beginners
Hello guys,

Need some advice if possible, I have sent off all the forms for the cycle scheme with evans, its a fairly large company and they are set in their way in terms of the Evans scheme, so no planet-x bikes, or Boardmans for me :(

I went to my local today, and they had a few things, a BMC that had a huge discount on it, and full 105 kit, looked ok, but having not heard muchabout the brand, was unsure..

They also had a Raleigh with carbon rear and fork, but the bloke said most people don't want to ride a Raleigh lol..

What do people think is the best bike at £1000 from the Evans range at the moment?
Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com

Comments

• Slow Downcp
    Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    If it has to Evans, then this:

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/can ... e-ec016027

if they have your size. If this is the BMC:

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/bmc ... e-ec020518

Then that's a good bike also.

The Pinarello FP1's also a decent bike, but only Sora groupset.
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • okgo
    Yeh they have it in 56cm..

I am just over 6ft..
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • get the bmc good price best components and most important it looks the coolest
  • okgo
    The components are the same as the Cannondale aren't they? I would imagine the Cannondale has a better frame too??
  • Onan
    Onan Posts: 321
    okgo wrote:
    Yeh they have it in 56cm..

I am just over 6ft..

Go to an evans and sit on bikes. Ask for a test ride if you can. Don't just assume you're a 56 because an online sizing guide told you you were. Geometries and ways of measuring differ hugely from bike to bike. If you get it wrong, you will end up throwing money away trying to get the bike to fit.
    Drink poison. Wrestle snakes.
  • okgo
    They don't have one in stock, but they said a 10% deposit can get it in for a test ride..refundable too..
  • Slow Downcp
    I'd guess a 56 would be about right, but it does depend on your leg/torso length. If so then I'd go for the Cannondale - never ridden a CAAD9 but people who have rave about them. Did have a CAAD5 MTB and the frame was superb.
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    The BMCs are well made bikes - I took one out today from Evans for a spin to get a feel of the build (frames were too small / too big so had to try a 54). It was fantastic - stiff, well built, neat looking machine without being too blingy. I reckon you could do a lot worse than the BMC, judging by reviews that I've found via Google.
  • okgo
    Guys, this has also fallen into the right range...

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/sco ... e-ec019434

This is now becoming a hard decision

CAAD9
    BMC
    Scott..

Cannondale has worst spec, being all 105, where as the scott is mostly ultrega..

anyone shed light on it..

Also what is a compact?
  • Slow Downcp
    I'd still say the 'Dale - the frame is a lot better than the Scott IMHO, plus it's a full 105 groupset whereas the Scott has cheaper brakes. The Scott is a triple chainset, useful if you have a lot of BIg hills, but the compact on the Cannondale (means 50/34 chainset, rather than 53/39 double). The wheels are also better on the CAAD9. You can upgrade the 105 parts for Ultegra as they wear out - the CAAD9 frame was good enough for the pro team a couple of years ago and has won many pro races (including the Giro d'Italia I think).

Can you tell I think the Cannondale is better? See this thread for other opinions:

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... light=caad
  • juankerr
    juankerr Posts: 1,099
    If you want something stealthly, the 'Dale in BBQ, if you want something blingy, the BMC.

Nowt wrong with the Scott mind...
  • Are you planning on putting money towards, only asking because i was told last week by 2 LBS that you have to pay full RRP on the scheme. Or have i been mislead
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,216
    Norfolkboy wrote:
    Are you planning on putting money towards, only asking because i was told last week by 2 LBS that you have to pay full RRP on the scheme. Or have i been mislead

Not misled as such but most bike shops charge the RRP on scheme bikes as they have to pay the scheme provider about 10% so they will lose money if they offer the discount on top. It is possible for your company to by the bikes directly rather than through the scheme in which case you can benefit from sale prices, doesn't cost your company anymore but the schemes just simplify the process a bit for them.
  • green and white bmc is still the coolest
  • okgo
    update..

Evans have sold all the CAAD9 bikes from 2009 with 105..

So my choice is now get this years one with worse groupset etc..

Or I am still liking the look of the BMC..

Any final thoughts?
  • CiB
    My BMC is in & ready to collect tonight. If you can wait I can give you second impressions when I've got it; first were from the test ride - it rode superbly well, was v stiff in the frame but v comfortable to ride, and the Ultegra kit worked like a dream.

Be honest - it's a bike; it's light enough and has good build quality & components. What can possibly go wrong? Buy the one you like the look of - you want to be proud of what you're riding, not ending up with something that someone else thought you'd be suited to.
  • okgo
    I would be keen to hear your thoughts on the bike, even though the 105 version is the only one in my price range, I do hear what you’re saying with regards to it, I’ll be honest I prefer the CAAD9 2010 in team colours to the BMC, but it has a worse spec. But then again, am I getting caught up with names? Tiagra? 105? Is there so much of a difference..
  • CiB
    I'll pick it up later today, but won't get much chance to use it tonight in the dark I expect.

As for Tiagra / 105 / Ultegra etc, sure there's a difference, but it decreases as you go up the price points. You want the best your budget can stretch to ideally.
  • okgo
    Yeh true, well I think in my mind I have decided to opt for the BMC pending the fit and all that.

Better spec, readily availble, and my local have them in..
  • The BMC range looks immense - have seen them in the Evans near work. Plus, they're pretty rare so you won't pass lots of people with the same bike.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    There's nothin wrong with BMC at all.

I'd probably go for that over the others, even the old 'dale, just because they're cool.

The world champion rides for BMC nowadays y'know :wink:
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • okgo
    right just been to evans!

Had a chat to a lanky guy called..you guessed it.. Evan, I sat on a 'large' they had (albeit a more expensive carbon model) and it was fine, was amazed at how light it was.. Really good. Don't know why I overlooked them the way I did in the first place, look superb up close.

So twenty mins later, he had my deposit, and the white version should be in by the end of the week! Along with my voucher..

http://www.cranksbikes.com.au/UserFiles/Image/BMC_...

Lovley, he said it didn't come with any pedals, so I guess I will have to have a look on the day, and some shoes to match. Dubios using clips at first on the commute as I might stack it.. And there are cars about. So maybe get used to it in more quiet places and use the rockhopper for a while longer!

Thanks for your help so far.
  • top_bhoy
    top_bhoy Posts: 1,424
    Its not entirely clear but did you buy this more expensive model then or go for the one you intended? It might have been prudent to have been fitted and had a test ride on the model you were buying before parting with the deposit.

As for pedals, consider them now, read the threads on this forum, ask questions and buy whatever type you decide upon online and save a lot of cash. Theres not much Evans can help you with on pedals unles they are going to give substantial discounts, loan you trial versions or accept them back for a swap, if you don't like the particular system you choose. It would be good if you could try some mates pedals to try first....but that is not always possible.

PS Your link doesn't work
  • okgo
    I bought the one I intended too.

However the one they had was slightly too big and it was the size up, but they had a better one with the same frame pretty much but the size down, it was perfect.

The deposit is based on a test ride and it all being well, so I have not lept into anything, athough the chap said he thought very highly of the BMC bikes.

What tips do you have regarding pedals? I have never used clip in style pedals, whats the difference between the shimano spd's and the LOOK ones?

http://www.cranksbikes.com.au/UserFiles ... ite_01.jpg
  • top_bhoy
    top_bhoy Posts: 1,424
    Nice one. You have to be happy with that bike.

There a recent thread somewhere on pedal systems...either in here or in the 'Buying Advice' section. I can't suggest pedal systems as I have only ever used the LOOK system. I tried LOOK first, it worked great and still works great so have never changed over the years.

I'm in the process of changing to LOOK Keo but I expect only minor changes from the LOOK delta system.

Just make sure that whatever shoes you get, are a good fit.

Good luck.

Found this: http://www.bikeradar.com/road/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12655682&highlight=pedal
  • CiB
    edited November 2009
    So - the BMC eh? Nice. I collected mine last night, haven't had chance to do anything more than screw the pedals in, fit the computer and have a quick blast round where I live. Initial impressions are wow - it's great. Stiff, responsive, and a good fit. I went for the Race Master in a 56.. Ultegra gears are incredibly responsive, but that's comparing against a 105 g/s with about 10000 miles and a lot of gear changes behind them. It's a great bike. Not the lightest in the shop but for looks and for being the new bike, faultless. I'm happy with it.

Bikes don't come with pedals at this level, nor at the price points a long way below. Pedals are a v personal choice anyway so it's no surprise that retailers don't waste their time fitting a pair that's probably wrong. I opted for these - Shimano PD-M540, which were £33 when I got mine on Saturday, now £60 I see. Yes I know someone will pipe up and point to out that these are actually MTB pedals, but they were fitted to my previous bike when I collected it and I've loved them, and saw no reason to change. I can use the same shoes on both bikes too.

One minor whinge - Evans supplied it claiming it's all done & ready to go. Petty maybe but the handlebars were off centre - there's a guide mark to help but they still didn't get it close; and the brake hoods weren't parallel - one faced straight ahead, the other pointing left. Not good. It's silly things like that take the edge of it and knock a shop like Evans down a peg or two if they can't even do the quick final basic check. On a £200 bike maybe, but at this level? I want it presented to me by a Phillipino hand maiden.

:)
  • okgo
    Tbh, I am a big bloke at around 15 stone, and have olegs to match ;)

So it being a pound or too heavier is fine by me, my current road rockhopper is probably about 30lbs anyway.

I am thinking about getting the pedals that are flats one side and spd the other, would work for me..I plan to buy these from CRC if you guys think they would work because they are very cheap..

And then when I am in Evans I think I will try some shoes there and then..