PowerTap SL (wired) problems in wet!...

hopper1
hopper1 Posts: 4,389
Guys,

I recently bought a used PowerTap SL, so far, so good.
Todays ride was mostly wet, no problems, all was well... Until the rain started to get much heavier. after 39 miles the PT stopped playing :evil:
I believe it was the head unit that was problematic, my reasoning is that I first noticed the speed disappear (_ _) on the display. Then the watts seem to freeze on the last recorded figure. The cadence on the bottom row continued without problem, this comes from a seperate sensor, not the hub. Then the head suddenly went blank!
I retained all data, as I've just downloaded it, ok.
I did read somewhere that the wired units could be problematic if wet, but unsure if this was directed at the hub, hub sensor, or head unit.
Does anyone have any sollutions to this problem?
Is it a case of putting electrical sealant/grease on all the connections/ terminals to protect the obvious weak points, or does it go deeper than this.
The readout was strong at the time of failure, and is a good strong readout again now, so I doubt it's the battery.
All help much appreciated.
Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!

Comments

• hopper1 wrote:
    Is it a case of putting electrical sealant/grease on all the connections/ terminals to protect the obvious weak points, or does it go deeper than this.
    Yes, it's just water on the harness/CPU pin connectors (happens in heavy rain) and usually some dielectric grease on the pins does the trick. If you're really worried about it then a cover of some clear plastic on crummy days is another option.

Personally I used a dab of vaseline and have never had problems. Someone reckoned it was going to ruin the plastic on my CPU but after 5 years it's still just fine.
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    Cheers, Alex.
    Vaseline was my first thought, but I thought some bright spark on here would 'poo poo' me, and tell me to use the proper grease! :roll:
    I had also considered either a small plastic bag and elastic band, or a piece of cling film. :wink:
    Thanks for your help, mate.
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • chrisw12
    chrisw12 Posts: 1,246
    You see why I bought the wireless one.

One less thing to fail.

I'm sorry, I know that doesn't help.