flat bars or risers for more control?

flavrat66
flavrat66 Posts: 16
edited November 2009 in MTB buying advice
I want to slow down the steering on my sx trail II. I've just bought a slightly longer thomson stem(70mm from 50mm) and need a slightly wider bar. But what is the performance difference between a riser bar and a flat bar set up? I'm looking at an easton e70 bar, but don't know whether to go for flat/riser. I'm basically looking for more control/stability up front. My main riding is AM. Any advice would be great.

Comments

• Sir HC
    Sir HC Posts: 20,148
    A wider bar will give your more control, a riser bar will put you in a more upright riding position. It would be a crime to put flat bars on an SX trail, the riser bar will help with descents.

I use the EA70 and a 50mm stem on my Reign X and its a perfect setup. I will be trying some wider bars at some point though, see how i get on with them.
    Intense Socom
    Inbred
  • My bars are 715mm wide and they were a bit of a revelation. More control everywhere.
    They're a 20mm rise and they're on a 70mm zero degree stem.
    Never going back to a slimmer bar.

I'd have thought that a longer stem on your bike would have made the steering a bit more nervous, but I may be wrong.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    It is all relative - if you already have a high front end then adding a riser make make things worse.

Many DH riders arnd those with long forks use flat bars for exactly this reason.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Why do you want to slow the steering down?
  • Andy
    Andy Posts: 8,207
    'More control' is totally the wrong term in my opinion. That said I'm not sure what term id use instead :P
  • brett7
    brett7 Posts: 53
    My bars are 715mm wide and they were a bit of a revelation. More control everywhere.
    They're a 20mm rise and they're on a 70mm zero degree stem.
    Never going back to a slimmer bar.

I'd have thought that a longer stem on your bike would have made the steering a bit more nervous, but I may be wrong.

Nope you're right a longer stem pushes the rider weight out over the wheelbase and for most this will lessen the feel/feedback when the trails get steeper and more technical(thats how it felels for me)

I shortened my stem to a 50mm and changed from flats to Eastern's EA70 monkey bars it's really improved the feedback and i have loads more control over the front end. I ride a Cannondale Rush Carbon, as always with anything that changes the geometry of a bike its all relative to how you like your ride to feel and perform. :D
  • ravey1981
    ravey1981 Posts: 1,111
    I use 685mm wide eastons on all my bikes, i find the width sweep etc to feel just right. Everyone id different though i know....
  • wordnumb
    wordnumb Posts: 847
    Just switched to EA70 risers w/50mm stem on my Stumpy. There is a considerable improvement downhill with no detriment that I've noticed climbing. Very aware that due to the extra width I will at some point punch a tree with my little finger, and it's going to hurt.
  • Thanks for the advice all. Will give the EA70 a go with the 2 stem lengths. Cheers