Will a shorter stem put my weight further back ?

Darra8
Darra8 Posts: 721
edited November 2009 in MTB general
I have a new bike and struggle with rear wheel traction when climbing, as I have to stand up and peddle, and can't get enough weight over the rear end. I currently have a 90mm stem, If I fit a shorter one, say 60mm, will this help :?:
40 year old pussy who "still" hates the thought of falling off!!

Comments

• Shortening the stem will just make you sit slightly more upright I think

Have you tried just moving the saddle a bit further back on the rails? Maybe getting a layback seatpost if you dont already have one.

REmember, you dont want to go too far back or you'll have a problem keeping the front wheel down.

Also, what tyres are you using and at what PSI, this all has an effect on rear wheel grip too.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    not really.

try a lower cog seated and spin.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    The only way to keep the power smooth so keeping grip is to stay in the saddle.

Once you stand on the pedals the weight moves forward, the power becomes ragged and you're burning more power than you need.

Sit down spin and keep it smooth.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • Sir HC
    Sir HC Posts: 20,148
    When you are standing up, you will tend to move your body over the bars, so the rear doesn't have as much weight on it, so stay seated and pedal smoother in an easier gear ratio, to keep spinning.
    Intense Socom
    Inbred
  • He is actually talking about a rigid singlespeed. Asked the same question in a thread about 2 below this one.
    So shifting down and spinning out is not an option.
  • nicklouse
    a short stem in that case will just move everything closer to his knees when out of the saddle which can cause more problems.

again OP give the full story.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • Darra8
    Sorry, yes forgot to say that I am on a single speed, so sitting is not an option at the moment. I have a 16/32 setup at the moment, but I am looking into an 18t freewheel to try and ease the hill climbs...

Cheers,

Steve
  • nicklouse
    before changing the 16 you need to try moving your arse forward on the saddle to keep traction.
  • Darra8
    I can't physically sit down and peddle when going up hill, it's just too dam hard :cry:
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I think you need gears ;-)
  • nicklouse
    Darra8 wrote:
    I can't physically sit down and peddle when going up hill, it's just too dam hard :cry:

it will take time to get the muscles.

if you cant ride it walk it.
  • Darra8
    supersonic wrote:

No way man, I'm sticking with it 8)
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Darra8 wrote:
    supersonic wrote:

Well you're a bloody idiot then.

If you insist on riding with only one gear, then learn to shift your weight around the bike, and pedal smoothly. There's no reason you can;t do that whilst standing.
    But then, why would a singlespeeder be any good at actual mountain bike skills? :roll:
  • Darra8

If you insist on riding with only one gear, then learn to shift your weight around the bike, and pedal smoothly. There's no reason you can;t do that whilst standing.
    But then, why would a singlespeeder be any good at actual mountain bike skills? :roll:

Your like, well harsh man :)

I don't see that there is anything wrong wanting to try something a little different, even if it is bloody hard work :!:
  • Anonymous
    you decided to get a bike with one gear, then comes moaning about not being able to get up hills. I don;t think I'm being harsh at all. A bit soft, if anything.
  • colintrav
    colintrav Posts: 1,074
    edited October 2009
    Darra8 wrote:
    I have a new bike and struggle with rear wheel traction when climbing, as I have to stand up and peddle, and can't get enough weight over the rear end. I currently have a 90mm stem, If I fit a shorter one, say 60mm, will this help :?:

Edit ................

Why don't you take one of the seats from your other bikes
  • colintrav
    Darra8 wrote:
    supersonic wrote:

A Chain has more chance of snapping going up hill due to the pressue it's under , I snapped a good bloody few in time when i was younger ... riding my BMX lol
  • colintrav
    Darra8 wrote:

Your like, well harsh man :)

I don't see that there is anything wrong wanting to try something a little different, even if it is bloody hard work :!:

.....Neermind
  • Darra8
    you decided to get a bike with one gear, then comes moaning about not being able to get up hills. I don;t think I'm being harsh at all. A bit soft, if anything.

Who's moaning? I was merely asking for some advice..

I still think you being well harsh :lol: : Actually, I take that back, I have read some of your replies to other peoples pos,t and your right, you have been quite soft....thanks for that :wink:
  • I love climbing hills, and consider myself relatively fit for my age, but this is the exact reason why I don't have an SS.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Marin
    SS Inbred
    Mongoose Teocali Super
  • Anonymous
    Colintrav, are you tripping balls? Or have your internets got confused somehow :lol:
  • colintrav
    It's 7pm and the drug is inhalled and the strange language of the initations rights begins
  • Darra8 wrote:
    supersonic wrote:

christ dont you ever give up??

you had a go at someone else for having singlespeed, can you just let people make their own decisions? its their bike not yours.

by the way i went singlespeed too, and i love it.