work stand

fatboywobbling
fatboywobbling Posts: 3
edited November 2009 in MTB buying advice
i ride a Marin mount vision and want to buy a work stand, but the frame tubing isn't round (its rectangular).

do i need a specific jaw on the stand or will most stands hold the frame?

i was looking at the Ultimate Classic stand.

any advice would be helpful.

cheers.

Comments

• jadamson
    jadamson Posts: 644
    you could get a stand that holds the bike at the seat post...
  • Hi There,

I use a Lifeline Deluxe workstand (from Wiggle), and you can turn the clamp vertically to hold the bike by the seatpost if you wish.

If clamping by the frame, I have found that I don't tend to put the crushers in the clamp as it interferes with the brake cables that run along the top of the frame. As long as the bike is balanced in the stand, it usually is ok.

Hope this helps,

rich
  • Many Thanks, points taken.

Cheers.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    it is best never to clamp on any frame tubes as they can be distorted.

so any stand will do that will allow you to clamp on the seat post.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • canada16
    canada16 Posts: 2,360
    Question about that?

If you have a carbon seatpost, is that still ok?

As I would have thought it would have put stress on the post. :oops:
  • SPIRO
    SPIRO Posts: 200
    I would avoid clamping a carbon one - a bit like carbon handlebars, they can be sensitive to that sort of load

Buy a cheap steel seatpost and clamp that instead :wink:
  • nicklouse
    canada16 wrote:
    Question about that?

yes it is fine.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • SPIRO
    nicklouse wrote:
    canada16 wrote:
    Question about that?

yes it is fine.

Nicklouise - I am intrigued, i thought it would be a bit of a no-no like carbon handlebars. Whats the difference if you dont mind me asking?

John
  • rowlers
    rowlers Posts: 1,614
    SPIRO wrote:
    nicklouse wrote:
    canada16 wrote:
    Question about that?

yes it is fine.

Nicklouise - I am intrigued, i thought it would be a bit of a no-no like carbon handlebars. Whats the difference if you dont mind me asking?

John
    a seatpost is clamped in the frame and is therefore designed to be clamped - I think :(
  • nicklouse
    rowlers
    Correct, the clamping force needed to hold the seatpost from moving is greater than the force applied by a workstand clamp.
  • SPIRO
    rowlers wrote:
    SPIRO wrote:
    nicklouse wrote:
    canada16 wrote:
    Question about that?

yes it is fine.

John
    a seatpost is clamped in the frame and is therefore designed to be clamped - I think :(

I realise that, but stand clamps can exert quite alot of force, that combined with the bending moment, just thought it would be frowned on thats all.

TY for reply nick
  • nicklouse
    if you are doing that tight then you have other problems.

Now there are some frames where an internal seat tube clamp is better to use.

and there is also some exotic carbon seat posts that should only be clamped in one place by the seat post clamp and nowhere else so a correct sized alloy post goes in for work to be done.

But if it was one of those frames or posts then the user would not be asking.

the forces used when working on a bike are actually quite low. Except for BB work.
  • SPIRO
    nicklouse wrote:
    if you are doing that tight then you have other problems.

Now there are some frames where an internal seat tube clamp is better to use.

and there is also some exotic carbon seat posts that should only be clamped in one place by the seat post clamp and nowhere else so a correct sized alloy post goes in for work to be done.

But if it was one of those frames or posts then the user would not be asking.

the forces used when working on a bike are actually quite low. Except for BB work.

Is there anything you dont know! Thanks for info :wink:
  • canada16
    canada16 Posts: 2,360
    See I would have thought the same, but there you go.

I would have thought adjusting and cleaning would sort of sway the stand and therefor would put pressure on the post.

Oh well its only a 25.00 superstar carbon post anyway, so if it broke, it would not be the end of the world.
  • i built one
    Carerra Fury 08
  • nicklouse
    canada16 wrote:

I would have thought adjusting and cleaning would sort of sway the stand and therefor would put pressure on the post.

and those forces compared to sitting on the seat are nothing.

SPIRO there are lots of things i dont know. :wink:
  • The other alternative is something like the Tacx Cycle Motion Workstand - no clamping on the frame at all..