Crashing

Mccraque
Mccraque Posts: 819
edited November 2009 in MTB general
had a bit of an off today...cycling along chatting to my mate - prob only at about 15mph on a wet chalk track..then someone pulled the rug from under me. Slight offcamber section and the old mountainkings became banana skins. Managed to stick my head in his back wheel on the way down too...just for good measure.

Smashed my helmet (there would have been serious damage without it), massive egg on back of head, egg on elbow, bruised back, gash on shoulder.....other than that fine!

thankfully bike was ok.

But.....I just wanted to say two things. For anyone ever considering not wearing a helmet....don't do it! I would be in A&E now, I am sure.

Secondly....anyone had any experience of Conti Mountin Kings becoming this bad in the wet?

Comments

• -liam-
    -liam- Posts: 1,831
    Mccraque wrote:

Smashed my helmet

Bet that smarts like a bi7ch :lol:

Hope you don't hurt for long ;)
  • Mccraque
    lol! yeah..impressive swelling though...
  • asdfhjkl
    asdfhjkl Posts: 333
    Mccraque wrote:
    Secondly....anyone had any experience of Conti Mountin Kings becoming this bad in the wet?

I use MKs and I've noticed that they can get skittish over slippery wet rock and wet roots. Probably not an ideal tyre for this time of year. Not had any problems in other conditions though.

Glad to hear you got away without any serious injury.
  • Mccraque
    Just bruised thankfully, cheers

do giro offer any sort of replacement on their helmets if you destroy them?
  • Pictures or it didn't happen.
  • asdfhjkl
    asdfhjkl Posts: 333
    Mccraque wrote:
    do giro offer any sort of replacement on their helmets if you destroy them?

http://www.madison.co.uk/giro/index.html
  • colintrav
    colintrav Posts: 1,074
    How do you know you were travelling at 15mph ???

there is more to your jacknory which your not really telling us .....
  • I had my first ever off today (i've only been mtbing for a couple of months), luckily I didn't hurt myself, it was a section that is usually the fastest bit of my whole route, and the recent rain had turned into a mud bath.

Long story short, my inexperience basically meant I went at it like normal instead of thinking about it, back wheel came out, i hit the deck slid along on my side with my bike, ended up covered in mud and a massive smile on my face, thought it was hilarious as did my mate who was behind me, until he couldn't stop without crashing into me, so put himself into a thorn bush, we must of looked a right pair of tits lying on the floor pissing ourselves laughing!!
  • helmets are a must!

I was stupidly holding onto a car getting a lift back up to the top of a downhill section and he decided to go 40 mph, without warning, last thing i saw was a black piece of tarmac centimetres from my face.

Have a lovely scar on my leg - and pic of straight after to prove it. And if it wasnt for my hand and elbow and helmet i wouldnt have any skin on my face or head!
    MmmBop

Go big or go home.
  • Mountain Kings suck ass.
    I've just replaced mine after only 3 rides with Kenda's Blue Groove/Nevegal combo and the difference is like night and day.

Get shot of them!
  • Chaz.Harding
    Chaz.Harding Posts: 3,144
    Mccraque wrote:
    cycling along chatting to my mate - prob only at about 15mph on a wet chalk track

Hmmm... Kinda answered your own question there, ay...? You were cycling on a wet chalk track, which is basically oiled glass, lol. It's SUPER slippery. I live on the back door of Salisbury plain, and if it's wet, or been raining, the chalk hills are 99% impossible trying to walk / run up them, let alone a bike!

And the fact you were chatting to your mate, probably means you weren't focused totally on riding your bike... :wink:

Either way, the MK's you ride may not be ideal. You tried loosing a bit of pressure out of the tyres? Only a 3-5psi drop can make a WORLD of difference to grip...

8)
    Boo-yah mofo
    Sick to the power of rad
    Fix it 'till it's broke
  • podgeorge
    podgeorge Posts: 188
    Speaking of wearing helmets, last summer i was attempting a jump, got it a bit wrong and managed to do a 180 sorta thing over my handlebars and then landed on my head leading to concussion and no MTB'ing for 4 weeks :shock: :shock: :shock: ! Anyway, it completely knackered my helmet, and if i had not been wearing a helmet, there was a large possibility that my brain would have swelled more than it did, leading to mental conditions and all that sort of stuff. So long story short: Always wear a helmet!

I also came off today coming round a slippery corner and made friends with some rather nasty thorn bushes, which led me to spend about two minutes, picking thorns out of various non clothed body parts :( Mind you i only actually started picking the thorns out when i was back at the car :P :wink:
  • Chaz.Harding
    Chaz.Harding Posts: 3,144
    podgeorge, and anyone else trying to divert this thread into a helmet / no helmet debate...

Please, NO MORE!!!!!! :lol:
    Boo-yah mofo
    Sick to the power of rad
    Fix it 'till it's broke
  • I had an off as well today at Long Mynd, but I'll live. Infact I rode for another 5 miles with it strapped up.

Before.jpg

And after the great nurses at Shrewsbury A&E did their work

091031ChicksDigScars.jpg
  • -liam-
    -liam- Posts: 1,831
    John Moore wrote:
    I had an off as well today at Long Mynd, but I'll live. Infact I rode for another 5 miles with it strapped up.

Before.jpg

And after the great nurses at Shrewsbury A&E did their work

091031ChicksDigScars.jpg

Ooh nice !!

You can spit at my flat from the Royal Shrewsbury and the girl next door is a lovely nurse, you could of popped by, she could patch you up and I could poke it with a stick lol

No biking for you for a couple of weeks though :(
  • Mountain Kings are crappier in the wet than the dry. I've taken mine off, and now have a 2.35 60a Minnion on the front and a 2.1 ADvantage on the rear- what a difference :D
  • Mccraque
    do you rate the ADvantage, Rallybiker? May go for a UST one.

Have cycled that path where I feel 100 times before. But first time on the new tyres. Never noticed it being bad at all before. Am wondering if the MKs contributed to my downfall.
  • Mccraque wrote:
    do you rate the ADvantage, Rallybiker? May go for a UST one.

Have cycled that path where I feel 100 times before. But first time on the new tyres. Never noticed it being bad at all before. Am wondering if the MKs contributed to my downfall.
    Yes good trail centre tyre, good on wet rocks, etc,not as god as a MK in bad mud-but how often do you peddle through deep mud. The Minion is mint on the front never lets go! :D