Crud Mudguards? Not half!

evil_breakfast
evil_breakfast Posts: 442
edited January 2010 in Workshop
After following the instructions and checking out the youtube tutorial and the thread on the subject andgeneral fiddling the guards are still rubbing on the tyre directly beneath the calipers.
Can someone offer some pearls of wisdomw before i chuck the bike out the f***ing window and injure some trick or treater?
:evil:
*goes off to find marlboro lights to calm down*
You're the light wiping out my batteries; You're the cream in my airport coffee's.

Comments

• hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    After following the instructions and checking out the youtube tutorial and the thread on the subject andgeneral fiddling the guards are still rubbing on the tyre directly beneath the calipers.
    Can someone offer some pearls of wisdomw before i chuck the bike out the f***ing window and injure some trick or treater?
    :evil:
    *goes off to find marlboro lights to calm down*

You should have put (Hilarious) at the end of your subject....
    I've just covered my laptop in tea!! :lol::lol::lol:

I bought a winter frame, with lugs... So, can't help...
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Are you able to fit a 4mm allen key head between caliper and tyre?

If not, they won't fit.
  • NapoleonD wrote:
    Are you able to fit a 4mm allen key head between caliper and tyre?

If not, they won't fit.

theres space alright.
    You're the light wiping out my batteries; You're the cream in my airport coffee's.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Then you are doing it wrong!
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Depends on frame clearances and brake caliper types too - they can be tight with Campagnolo skeleton calipers but are OK with the older dual pivot ones IME
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • NapoleonD wrote:
    Then you are doing it wrong!

helpful.
  • Jon8a
    Jon8a Posts: 235
    Been on the website and seen the video, it's childs play if you follow that. Did mine in about 10 minutes and they were superb today. Best bit of kit I've bought all week.
  • djbarren wrote:
    This is an e-mail that I recieved from the guys at crud concerning these mudguards, hope it is of some help to you.

We took 3 weeks to do the instructions page, but I would do it slightly different now. You can actually get the 'guard to follow the line of your tyre with the following method.
    First, loosen the cabletie.
    second, move the stays down the chainstay at the back towards the rear axle.
    Then. fix the 'guard with 5mm clearance at the back, like pic 6 in the instructions. Tighten the nuts. THEN pull the mudguard up in the middle where it touches the tyre. The mudguard will increase its arc until it matches the circumference of the tyre. Re-tighten cabletie until it just rests the blade under the brake-fork area. make sure nuts are tight, and away you go.
    Hope this helps...let me know.

Cheers
    Pete Tomkins

did all that, and the back one works a treat, but the same can't be said of the front.
    no matter what i try, the joint part (with the screw) rubs on the tyre.
    Its all academic now anyhow as the front guard is now......ummmm....broken
    :oops:
  • Stellite
    Stellite Posts: 544
    I found they rubbed a bit on my Bianchi when spinning by hand after I fitted them, but once out on the road thy were fine. Whatever was rubbing has rubbed off now and they seem to work fine. Ive done about 200 miles with them fitted now.
  • Ive a Specailized Allez 2010. Front one rubs like mad. If you remove the front part they're fine but that kinda defeats the object. Look good, just wish they worked.
    Specialized Allez 2010
  • If you cant get them to fit correctly they are probably the greatest new product to hit the cycle market since Shimano launched the STI levers.

A full carbon bike all year round......sweet.
  • I tried to fit mine on Sunday to my Defy 4 and failed aswell

Are you still running the original 25mm Kenda tyre's at decent pressures?

If so there is no way I think they will fit unless you change the tyres, reading on the web the standard Kendas are more like 28mm in reality, I could only get mine to fit with flat tyre's !

As soon as pumped them back up to 90 psi the mudguard under the brakes was jammed tight against the tyre.
  • japsy
    japsy Posts: 78
    I tried to fit mine on Sunday to my Defy 4 and failed aswell

If so there is no way I think they will fit unless you change the tyres, reading on the web the standard Kendas are more like 28mm in reality, I could only get mine to fit with flat tyre's !

As soon as pumped them back up to 90 psi the mudguard under the brakes was jammed tight against the tyre.

That bike has the bosses for 'normal' mudguards. The SKS ones will go down to your bottom bracket.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    d4mi4nr wrote:
    Ive a Specailized Allez 2010. Front one rubs like mad. If you remove the front part they're fine but that kinda defeats the object. Look good, just wish they worked.

Have a look at the fitting video if you haven't already. Adding a little bit of tape right at the front of the main bit of the guard before you fit the front part might sort it out as it raises the end away from the tyre.
    More problems but still living....
  • Gav888
    Gav888 Posts: 946
    Have you got an pics as that might help?

When fitting mine I had the opposite, mine were way to high, about a 1cm gap between the mudguard and the tire because my brakes are high, so I ended up making a small bracket type thing to lower the mudguard down, they fitted perfect after that....
    Cycling never gets any easier, you just go faster - Greg LeMond
  • Just tried to fit them to myAllez Sport. Has anyone succesfully fitted these on a similar bike with 25mm tyres? I'll have another go but just can't see them running in that close clearnce gap under the Shimano calipers.
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    If you have 4mm vertical clearance and enough width then they will fit. If you have 10mm then you should be using full guards with no trouble.
  • soveda
    soveda Posts: 306
    japsy wrote:
    I tried to fit mine on Sunday to my Defy 4 and failed aswell

That bike has the bosses for 'normal' mudguards. The SKS ones will go down to your bottom bracket.

Not enough clearance under the brakes for "normal" mudguards on the Defy, hence they make their own which have a cutout allowing crap to cover the calipers!
  • Indeed !

After reading the posts about being able to get a 4mm Allen Key between the tyre and brakes I decided to see how much clearance I don't have - nope not with the 25mm at running pressures. I shall be investing in some 23mm rubber so I can get some rides in and stay dry !
  • djbarren wrote:
    This is an e-mail that I recieved from the guys at crud concerning these mudguards, hope it is of some help to you.

We took 3 weeks to do the instructions page, but I would do it slightly different now. You can actually get the 'guard to follow the line of your tyre with the following method.
    First, loosen the cabletie.
    second, move the stays down the chainstay at the back towards the rear axle.
    Then. fix the 'guard with 5mm clearance at the back, like pic 6 in the instructions. Tighten the nuts. THEN pull the mudguard up in the middle where it touches the tyre. The mudguard will increase its arc until it matches the circumference of the tyre. Re-tighten cabletie until it just rests the blade under the brake-fork area. make sure nuts are tight, and away you go.
    Hope this helps...let me know.

Cheers
    Pete Tomkins

did all that, and the back one works a treat, but the same can't be said of the front.
    no matter what i try, the joint part (with the screw) rubs on the tyre.
    Its all academic now anyhow as the front guard is now......ummmm....broken
    :oops:

Pm Mr Crud explaining your problem and he might send you a new spare for what ever part is broken. I lost a piece off mine whilst riding and he sent me a spare staright away free of charge.
    Great customer service
    Bianchi. There are no alternatives only compromises!
    I RIDE A KONA CADABRA -would you like to come and have a play with my magic link?
  • GavH
    GavH Posts: 933
    Stellite wrote:
    I found they rubbed a bit on my Bianchi when spinning by hand after I fitted them, but once out on the road thy were fine. Whatever was rubbing has rubbed off now and they seem to work fine. Ive done about 200 miles with them fitted now.

Where was it rubbing and what frame/forks have you? I've just moved my guards from my commuter as I'm using it more on the turbo than I am commuting on it. Back one went on fine first time, front one is rubbing in what appears to be the area right under the arch of the fork. I'm running 23mm Conti GP4000S tyres.
  • Anyone by chance running these on a Madone 4.5 with Krylion Carbon 25mm's (or other 25mm tyres)?
  • d4mi4nr wrote:
    Ive a Specailized Allez 2010. Front one rubs like mad. If you remove the front part they're fine but that kinda defeats the object. Look good, just wish they worked.

I have them on a 2007 Allez and they fit perfectly.
    Originally they rubbed, but unscrewing the little left/right adjuster screw on the brake gave more clearance. The screw is still in far enough that I can make fine adjustments to the brake ok.
    These look fantastic on a black Allez with a black Tortec velocity pannier rack. They perform well too.
  • John.T
    First proper test yesterday on the Colomba Classic. Roads very wet and mucky. Feet stayed dry and clean until it started raining. Passed with flying colours. The front one worked better than the SKS one on my winter bike.
  • Stellite
    Ive had the guards off today when giving my bike once over and they have started to wear away my carbon forks and seat stays.

I have just caught it in time, maybe worth checking regularly.
  • Stellite
    Ive had the guards off today when giving my bike once over and they have started to wear away my carbon forks and seat stays.

I have just caught it in time, maybe worth checking regularly.
  • John.T
    It does say to tape them.
  • Stellite
    I taped the stays, but not under the fork or stay bridge unfortunately.
    They had started to wear the ultegra brake calipers too.

The slots for the cable ties had also started to get very thin. And this was with the cable ties tight.

I have had them on the bike for a few months now and done a few hundred miles with them on.

Luckily ive got my single speed built for the winter so ill be taking the guards off the carbon bike and using the winter bike from now on.
  • PK1
    PK1 Posts: 193
    They have worn the paint off my seat tube where the end of the guard is.
  • PK1 wrote:
    They have worn the paint off my seat tube where the end of the guard is.

I guess losing a bit of frame paint could be considered a lesser evil than the wear caused by gallons of gritty water being thrown over your bike on every wet winter ride?