Didn't bother postin before because.........

STEFANOS4784
STEFANOS4784 Posts: 4,109
edited November 2009 in The bottom bracket
I thought everyone would just think 'what an idiot' (fair point by theway)

But anyhoo what's the worst thing you've forgotten on a ride?

I went out with a couple of guys from the new Bristol club an didn't bring any spare tubes or repair kit or water(had evian in me back pocket) or much food orther than a squashed tuna sandwiche, i was given a tube but for the rest of the ride the enjoyment was crushed by my own sense of uselesness/ having to take a tube off another guy.
Was also made worse by having to go up the Pensford hil;l after(was literally blacking out by the time i got home)

I paid my pennance yesterday, was cycling back from Bath and chain snapped :shock: It is one of those cheap kcnc ones which i read about have snapped before, but guy said 'not unless you've got really strong legs' (which i dont). Anyhoo had to walk Bath to Norton, about 10 miles. Bit of a long one but long story short....................................................................................................

What is the worst thing you've forgotten :?:

Comments

• I was in a pound shop today and I couldn't remember why I'd gone in. I still don't know know if they had what I must have been looking for.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I thought everyone would just think 'what an idiot' (fair point by theway)

But anyhoo what's the worst thing you've forgotten on a ride?

I went out with a couple of guys from the new Bristol club an didn't bring any spare tubes or repair kit or water(had evian in me back pocket) or much food orther than a squashed tuna sandwiche, i was given a tube but for the rest of the ride the enjoyment was crushed by my own sense of uselesness/ having to take a tube off another guy.
    Was also made worse by having to go up the Pensford hil;l after(was literally blacking out by the time i got home)

I paid my pennance yesterday, was cycling back from Bath and chain snapped :shock: It is one of those cheap kcnc ones which i read about have snapped before, but guy said 'not unless you've got really strong legs' (which i dont). Anyhoo had to walk Bath to Norton, about 10 miles. Bit of a long one but long story short....................................................................................................

What is the worst thing you've forgotten :?:

Bike.
  • STEFANOS4784
    :lol: , I wish i forgot my bike, went across a few fields with it on my shoulders, at least i could still free wheel down the hills i suppose........

I assume you're mocking me, but if not, when did you forget your bike on a ride? :lol:
  • Anonymous
    Yes, I mock, however, the worst thing was my shoes. Riding round Llandegla on SPD pedals in K-Swiss trainers was not fun.
  • STEFANOS4784
    You are quite the brand snop aint ya :wink:

P.s nothing wrong wirth that but, um, i dunno, home time, Have a goodun :)
  • Anonymous
    You are quite the brand snop aint ya :wink:

P.s nothing wrong wirth that but, um, i dunno, home time, Have a goodun :)

It was merely to point out the inappropriateness of the footwear and to add descriptiveness to the (short) anecdote...
  • nwallace
    nwallace Posts: 1,465
    edited October 2009
    hm.

On a mountain bike weekend: Non-Cycling underwear, had I not been sharing a room this would not have been a problem.

I also don't take a pump up on the trails at Laggan, no where to put it on the bike and can't be bothered carrying a bag.

Out in the wilds (well ok it was Loch Ordie): Chain tool, yes the chain snapped.

Out on the roads: Money, have run out of energy and liquid a couple of times.
    Once did the Carse up to Abernyte, one of the residents on the carse road helped us out by refilling out bottles and providing chocolate biscuits.

I used to be rather blasé about punctures, so I have walked home from Guardbridge via a mates house in Dairsie (to dump the bike) and pushed home from the local roundabout, and caught a lift from a passer by.
    I carry pump and tubes now.

But I once somehow managed to put 2 of my 3 sets of tyre levers into the same saddle bag, unfortunately that wasn't the bag for the bike I used the say I got a puncture outside the Olympia [Dundee swimming pool])

While getting a bus:
    Bus money, handing the bus driver the fare in 1 and 2ps which you have been counting while he's driven on isn't great.
    Do Nellyphants count?

Commuter: FCN 9
    Cheapo Roadie: FCN 5
    Off Road: FCN 11

+1 when I don't get round to shaving for x days
  • sicknote
    sicknote Posts: 901
    On changing bikes I forgot my puncture kit, after training I go to my bike at about 9.45pm to find I have a puncture and no spare.

Walked for a few miles before trying to pump the tyre up and manage to get air in as it was a slow puncture but still had to stop a few times to do it again.
  • Anonymous
    Levers. When it was really cold, punctured at 5:20 am, could not get tyre off, had to phone Mrs Dmc to come and get me, she was not amused. :wink:
  • sicknote
    sicknote Posts: 901
    dmclite wrote:
    Levers. When it was really cold, punctured at 5:20 am, could not get tyre off, had to phone Mrs Dmc to come and get me, she was not amused. :wink:

You are lucky as my wife does not drive so dont have that choice but would guess you paid for that one.
  • Anonymous
    Sicknote wrote:
    dmclite wrote:

You are lucky as my wife does not drive so dont have that choice but would guess you paid for that one.

Ohhh yes. She will occasionally bring that one out to prove a point, at which I just tell her she should follow me around ala' team car. :wink:
  • BigG67
    BigG67 Posts: 582
    My legs, lungs and heart at the Bealach this year....that is the ONLY reason I can thing why I was so crap :wink:
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,832
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Yes, I mock, however, the worst thing was my shoes. Riding round Llandegla on SPD pedals in K-Swiss trainers was not fun.

been that man............... flip flops are not ideal cycling shoes
  • Saddle: don't mock, I chucked the frame & wheels in the back of a mate's short wheelbase Landrover (only way to get the bikes in) but omitted the seatpost & saddle.
    i opted against going for a ride.
  • Didn't forget to pack innertube, but did forget to check its size- my partner has a bike with 650c wheels and I'd put one of her tubes in by mistake. Punctured on my way home on a wet and windy night. Couldn't figure out why the tube wouldn't go round the rim. Increasing frustration and lots of swearing seems to delay the point where the penny drops.
  • John C.
    John C. Posts: 2,113
    reading glasses :oops: middle of last winter it was minus 2 or 3 degrees and I went out for an hour mid afternoon. Half way up Boltby Bank I got a puncture, finally put a new tube in but ripped the valve off as I pumped it up. Light is now fading and I'm trying to locate the hole in the old tube and I can't see a thing. My fingers are like blocks of ice so I put things back togeather and pumped the tyre up rode a mile, pumped the tyre up............
    You can have all the tools in the world but if you can't see to use them they're a waste of time.
    http://www.ripon-loiterers.org.uk/

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail
    Hills are just a matter of pace
  • APIII
    APIII Posts: 2,010
    muchalls wrote:
    Saddle: don't mock, I chucked the frame & wheels in the back of a mate's short wheelbase Landrover (only way to get the bikes in) but omitted the seatpost & saddle.
    i opted against going for a ride.

I heard a similar story at a guesthouse I was staying at in the Pyrenees. Chap had flown over from the UK with his Look 595, but forgot to pack the saddle/post.

Worst for me was taking our tandem up to the Lake district a couple of months back. Locked it to the roof rack for safety, but couldn't find the bloody key when it stopped raining long enough to go for a ride. Turned everything upside down trying to find it, but no joy. Only when we got back home did it decide to show its face :evil: