shakespeare

thejesusandsedischain
edited November 2009 in The bottom bracket
off to see as you like it one of bobs ditties this afternoon.last time i went to see one of the bards efforts i managed to laugh in all the wrong places,and it was Mcbeth.has anybody been to any shakespeare and felt out of their depth,a bit like when i set of with the scratch group by mistake,just hope i get back in time for a proper greek tragedy Xfactor.

Comments

• PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    I always find the first 10 minutes a bit tricky, until your ear "tunes in".

and make sure you laugh if you hear the word "cuckold" is my usual rule of thumb - usually turns up in the comedy interludes....

Got to be honest, I enjoy his stuff, but as my knowledge of elizabethan english is somewhat limited, I tend to enjoy it more for the the broad story lines than I do for the complex passages of punnery and wit.
  • i know what you mean about getting the ears tuned in it takes me a while in most flims as well, will keep an ear out for cuckold,if i get stuck i will ring my mate.
  • Mothyman
    Mothyman Posts: 655
    ..methinks you should act ' in character' all day before going...
  • nolf
    nolf Posts: 1,287
    Aaah shakespeare,

"And thus I clothe my naked villany with old odd ends, and seem a saint, when most I play the devil."
    "I hold it true, what'er befall;
    I feel it, when I sorrow most;
    'Tis better to have loved and lost;
    Than never to have loved at all."

Alfred Tennyson
  • the ferry
    the ferry Posts: 258
    ...now this is an interesting one.. always thought there was a space in my life to for Shakespeare. Is there such a thing as a 'beginner' play something not too difficult as an introduction.
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    It's sort of like Eastenders but where they talk funny.

You know, lots of shagging, murder and treachery.
  • Just watch the Kenneth Brannagh version of Henry V instead.

"Tennis balls, my liege".

Brilliant.
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • Mothyman
    Mothyman Posts: 655
    ..twelth night is probably a good starter i reckon... funny characters, mistaken identities etc..thats the only one I 've understood so far, other than romeo and juliet which isnt my cup of tea...all that 'if only' tragedy and stuff
  • Chip \'oyler
    Chip \'oyler Posts: 2,323
    He's overrated!

I prefer Marlowe :lol:
    Expertly coached by http://www.vitessecyclecoaching.co.uk/

http://vineristi.wordpress.com - the blog for Viner owners and lovers!
  • Special K
    Special K Posts: 449
    Smokin Joe wrote:
    It's sort of like Eastenders but where they talk funny.

You know, lots of shagging, murder and treachery.

Great comment. Thinking about it along these lines Shameless owes a lot to Shakespeare. All those tragically flawed characters and the killer dialogue and characters.
    "There are holes in the sky,
    Where the rain gets in.
    But they're ever so small
    That's why rain is thin. " Spike Milligan
  • well i didnt get to see as you like it because we had tickets for a winters tale,not that i would have noticed the difference.when my ear was tuned in i enjoyed it even managed to laugh in the right places a couple of times,thought the plot was a bit clunky here and there but the script is well old init,there was a rab c nesbitt look a like who produced some titters still prefer mama mia though.