Is Hog Hill in Essex a decent place to go train?

Baybash
Baybash Posts: 136
edited November 2009 in Road beginners
I only ask because it's a 30 min drive away and I'd rather not waste an hour to find it's a bit rubbish.
exercise.png

Comments

• softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    I've no idea where that is, but why don't you just ride out to it and see for yourself - nothing is wasted by doing that...
  • Cumulonimbus
    Cumulonimbus Posts: 1,730
    They do races round there so if you want to start racing then i would have thought it would be a good place to do training?
  • It's a decent place, with a nice hill to get up on the full circuit, check the website before you go though to make sure it's fully open.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Yeah its alright, you can cut out the hill and do a small windy loop round the bottom. Good for technique, cornering skills etc and sprints due to no cars, junctions, potholes etc. Might be going down Monday morning.
  • hodsgod
    hodsgod Posts: 226
    The hill is steep enough, but not that long.

There are some great roads to ride on in that area if you go out a bit further.

P.S. It's not really in Essex.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,805
    to try out but not train

in use most weekends... i suppose you could get on it and just ride round...

some guys now ride round the corner to lamborne end and do repeats of "the ramp" leading to the abridge roundabout road which mimics the ramp at hoghill

hoe lane >new road>manor road
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • I've used it for training a few times. It doesn't cost much (about £3, I think). I race there, so it's good to practice there as well sometimes - it helps you for the technique side of things (i.e. fast cornering, gearing for the hill) as well as for fitness. Obviously it's more interesting to go for a longer ride in Essex, but it makes a nice change every now and then to go to Hog Hill and not have to worry about potholes and traffic (although you do have to watch out for other riders, sometimes little family groups). If you're planning to go there, make sure you phone them up first to check that it hasn't been booked up (e.g. for races or club training sessions) or closed (because of ice or something).
  • Don't worrymate it's a brilliant little track it's actually called redbridge cycle circuit if you want to find it on the net but it usually is worth the drive! :D