Brand New Carrera Virtuoso, eccentric cassete/freewheel eeek

bassplayer88
bassplayer88 Posts: 5
edited November 2009 in Workshop
Hi, just bought a Carrera Virtuoso from Halfords after the excellent review on Bike Radar!
Have got it home and have noticed a couple of faults;

1) Front wheel is slightly out of true. Not a biggy but slightly annoying. Easily sorted anyway.

2) The cassette moves from left to right, front to back in a kind of hip gyrating motion that reminds me a little of Elvis's dance moves. This is particually noticable when the bike is in a stand and freewheeling. This is even effecting the tension on the chain so the cahin is moving aswell. The freewheel was a bit loose but ive tightened it up a bit. Surely this eccentric movement is not normal?

Has anyone seen this before? Any advice?

Thanks

BP

Comments

• GavH
    GavH Posts: 933
    Seen it before? Nope, but the majic word 'Halfords' says it all. :roll:

Have you tried removing the cassette and reinstalling it? Checked all the spacers are there, no obvious damage to the freehub etc?
  • sheffsimon
    sheffsimon Posts: 1,282
    I wouldnt investigate any further - its new, take it back.
  • Buckled_Rims
    Buckled_Rims Posts: 1,648
    Don't touch it, take it back immediately. If you try to repair it, it "might" affect your guarantee.
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • Didn't touch it, took it back. They're currently trueing the wheel. It turns out the cassette/freewheel is meant to do that apparently it's a phenomemon known as "float" and it helps the transmission change gears. Apprently all cassette/freewheels do it but in budget freewheel/hubs the phenomenon is more noticable. Does this sound right?
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    Didn't touch it, took it back. They're currently trueing the wheel. It turns out the cassette/freewheel is meant to do that apparently it's a phenomemon known as "float" and it helps the transmission change gears. Apprently all cassette/freewheels do it but in budget freewheel/hubs the phenomenon is more noticable. Does this sound right?

No, sounds like BS. The top jockey wheel on the derailleur has float, but that;s it.
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    PS it will help the transmission change gear, the trouble is that it will choose when to change gear, not you :lol:
  • Mister W
    Mister W Posts: 791
    Cassette float???? Really???? That's one of the funniest things I've heard this week :lol:

Take it back and ask to speak to someone who is a little less full of sh*t.
  • sheffsimon
    sheffsimon Posts: 1,282
    I think at that point I would have requested a refund.

You are going to be riding around on a bike with a front wheel fixed and refitted by these knowledgeable people. :shock:
  • ynyswen24
    ynyswen24 Posts: 703
    It's something you do see on lower end bikes/parts. The manufacturing tolerances aren't as good as higher end/more expensive parts. You may get transmission set up problems, you may not. Depends where in the tolerances the cassette, the hub, the rear mech, the shifters, the frame all fall, also the quality of the cables and housings can affect things. It probably won't come under any kind of warranty as there probably isn't a 'defect'. You get what you pay for, if the Halfords mechanic sets it up well you'll probably be allright. And lets face it, even a basic rear mech works better than Campag from the 70's..
  • rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    edited March 2010
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    the cassette gyration sounds totally normal for the hubs used.

can be seen on many lower priced hubs.

front wheel needs looking at though.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • ynyswen24 wrote:
    It's something you do see on lower end bikes/parts. The manufacturing tolerances aren't as good as higher end/more expensive parts. You may get transmission set up problems, you may not. Depends where in the tolerances the cassette, the hub, the rear mech, the shifters, the frame all fall, also the quality of the cables and housings can affect things. It probably won't come under any kind of warranty as there probably isn't a 'defect'. You get what you pay for, if the Halfords mechanic sets it up well you'll probably be allright. And lets face it, even a basic rear mech works better than Campag from the 70's..

thankyou for coroborating this, the guy seemed genuine and knowledgable, what i lack in mechanical knowlege I make up for in judge of charecter and I felt he wasn't bsing me! Being a musician im used to what oftern happens in these sorts of shops people bullsh*ting or just generally being surly. As im pretty clued up on the music stuff i have great fun when a shop assistant tries to pull the wool over my eyes when I clearly know more than him, however in this case im glad you could support his story as I wasn't sure but he seemed genuine. Have now ridden the bike for a pretty nice 30 mile ride and have had no issues, despite some of the components being of lesser quality! To be honest never having ridden a brand new road bike the virtuoso is a joy and feels tight and responsive! Ive got what i paid for and I love it! Thanks for your advice.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    My blocks move very slightly on my wheels - and these are DA hubs amongst others. Its only a bit, but it is noticeable. Dont think its ever been a problem though.