Genesis single speed, first ride thoughts

Darra8
Darra8 Posts: 721
edited November 2009 in MTB general
Well, what can I say, other than, its f*!@ing hard work!

I took it on my local woodland route to see if I could clear it without getting off. I managed most of it, but had to get off and push up the last steep hill :cry: I must say though, I was well knackered after.

I have another rigid bike, but it has an alloy frame and fork. The Genesis feels great, I have never ridden a good quality steel framed bike before, so was very surprised at how smooth it felt. It really does soak up the more bumpy bits of the trail, and feels like it has much more flex than the alloy bike.

I struggled on the ups for 2 reasons. One, because I only have one gear, and two, I was finding it hard to stop the back wheel from losing traction. This was mainly because I had to peddle standing up and had less weight over the back wheel. I usually climb sitting down, so will have to practice. If I can stick with it, I will end up as fit as a butchers dog :lol:

I have a question, If I had a shorter stem, would this put my weight further back over the saddle. I currently have a 90mm one?

Cheers,

Steve

IMG_0756.jpg
40 year old pussy who "still" hates the thought of falling off!!

Comments

• Salsa
    Salsa Posts: 753
    Nice bike 8)
    I'll assume it has 32/16 gearing? You could try an 18 on the back as that will make it easier, really it depends on your local terrain as to whether that's worth doing though. You could always swap it out until you get used to the bike/single speed then change back to the 16t.
    I have a single speed mtb setup for road commutes (44/16) & have found SPDs make riding it up steep stuff a bit easier, well maybe not easier as it still nackers me but I can just stand up & pull up on the pedals where I would normally think about quitting.
  • Darra8
    Yes, it is 16/32. How easy is it to change the sprocket? I have tried SPD's in the past but couldn't get on with them. I guess I could try them again though.

Cheers...
  • colintrav
    colintrav Posts: 1,074
    Darra8 wrote:
    Well, what can I say, other than, its f*!@ing hard work!

I took it on my local woodland route to see if I could clear it without getting off. I managed most of it, but had to get off and push up the last steep hill :cry: I must say though, I was well knackered after.

I have another rigid bike, but it has an alloy frame and fork. The Genesis feels great, I have never ridden a good quality steel framed bike before, so was very surprised at how smooth it felt. It really does soak up the more bumpy bits of the trail, and feels like it has much more flex than the alloy bike.

I struggled on the ups for 2 reasons. One, because I only have one gear, and two, I was finding it hard to stop the back wheel from losing traction. This was mainly because I had to peddle standing up and had less weight over the back wheel. I usually climb sitting down, so will have to practice. If I can stick with it, I will end up as fit as a butchers dog :lol:

I have a question, If I had a shorter stem, would this put my weight further back over the saddle. I currently have a 90mm one?

Cheers,

Steve

IMG_0756.jpg

More to the fact that the bike ain't built for true offroad terrain It's not rocket science to spot ...
  • Darra8
    colintrav wrote:
    More to the fact that the bike ain't built for true offroad terrain It's not rocket science to spot ...

Why, because it doesn't have suspension?
  • Darra8,

Sweeeet ride, I do like it.
    I'd ride that on a trial any day, rigid front end and all.
  • Sarnian
    Sarnian Posts: 1,451
    Same here, very nice ride.
    It's not a ornament, so ride It
  • colintrav wrote:

Errr that's exactly what it's for. Just because a bike has no suspension doesn't mean it isn't designed for offroad. Now, if you said it wasn't designed for something like downhill then you'd have a point!!
  • colintrav
    ^^^

Suspension hasn't got anything to do with my reply at all ...
  • Darra8
    colintrav wrote:
    ^^^

Suspension hasn't got anything to do with my reply at all ...

Explain then....
  • cheehee
    cheehee Posts: 427
    That's a really nice looking bike there mate. 8)
  • NatoED
    NatoED Posts: 480
    i loved single speed i used to ride 50th 16th (i was mad ) but i found riding more and more helped . I raced a few NPS in Margam on it . Ride position seems good but i'd drop your stem down a spacer .
  • colintrav
    Airienteer wrote:
    colintrav wrote:

Errr that's exactly what it's for. Just because a bike has no suspension doesn't mean it isn't designed for offroad. Now, if you said it wasn't designed for something like downhill then you'd have a point!!

Your above reply clearly shows your lack of experience and knowledge

He has bought a basic bike which brought home the reality of what it was like riding a bike really is like without the luxury of the add ons that many take for granted !!!

This is the problem with the New generation they have never experienced or lived the era that we lived ..

And i've only ever had 2 bikes . a bmx bought in 1980 and the other MTB ,, carrera absolute bought much later in life
  • Sarnian
    colintrav wrote:
    Airienteer wrote:
    colintrav wrote:

He has bought a basic bike which brought home the reality of what it was like riding a bike really is like without the luxury of the add ons that many take for granted !!!

This is the problem with the New generation they have never experienced or lived the era that we lived ..

And i've only ever had 2 bikes . a bmx bought in 1980 and the other MTB ,, carrera absolute bought much later in life

How does that explain that he's bike Is not built for off road, and how do you know what era he lived In.
  • Chaz.Harding
    Chaz.Harding Posts: 3,144
    colintrav

Just becuase it's not got 30 gears and a foot of suspension doesn't make the guy a 60 year old cyclo-touring member, and it certainly doesn't make the bike unsuitable for off-road...

Just look at Danny McGaskill's bike, it has no suspension or gears, but I'm pretty sure he's still dropping 20ft to flat... :shock:

Plus, SS rigid bikes are handy in the winter, as you literally have only the chain, freehub, wheel and headset bearings to look after. No sweat! Much easier than the bloody gears, suspension, suspension bushes and bearings (etc etc...) to look after in other bikes! SS rigids love mud!
    Boo-yah mofo
    Sick to the power of rad
    Fix it 'till it's broke
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    colintrav
    You need to get out more.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Chaz.Harding
    nicklouse wrote:
    colintrav
    You need to get out more.
    :lol::lol::lol:

Do you think he's stuck in the 80's..? :lol:
    Boo-yah mofo
    Sick to the power of rad
    Fix it 'till it's broke
  • colintrav wrote:

It certainly isn't built for anything else!

15 years ago suspension forks were a luxury that I could not afford! Hence my bike was rigid, albeit a gearded one, and that took me up mountains no probs 8)

I've thougt about making my SS rigid but its hard enough work riding it as is :oops:
    08 Pitch Pro
    14 Kona Unit
    Kona Kula SS
    Trailstar SS
    94 Univega Alpina 5.3
  • Sarnian
    I have had a couple of ss rigids over the years, not including the early years when you could not get suspension, I think I have ridden them pretty much In all the same place's on my Island that I ride every other bike that I have owned. Ok It might of been a little slower and harder work, and there might of been the odd time when one of the other bikes might not of thrown me off.

But It was all a bloody good laugh.
  • deffler
    deffler Posts: 829
    yeah, very nice bike, been toying with investing in a ss for my commute
    Boardman Hybrid Pro

Planet X XLS
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    colintrav wrote:
    Airienteer wrote:
    colintrav wrote:

I have read this post half a dozen times and I still dont know what this guy is on about.

Please enlighten us with your vast experience of MTBikes why Darra8s bike isnt designed for true off road terrain.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • zero303
    zero303 Posts: 1,162

I have one of these, admittedly with front suss, but I'd kick his arse around the trails on whatever he calls a real mountain bike... :twisted:
  • Darra8
    colintrav wrote:

What? How old do you think I am 12 :?:

I didn't buy it with the sole intention of it being my only mountain bike, and now realising that I have made a big mistake. I already have 2 other bikes, one a full suss. I just wanted something a little different, and I knew it was going to be hard work....do you get that :?:
  • Chaz.Harding
    Darra8

He musta missed your signiture... :lol:

And been in a MEGA condescending mood, lol! :lol:
    Boo-yah mofo
    Sick to the power of rad
    Fix it 'till it's broke
  • colintrav wrote:
    Airienteer wrote:
    colintrav wrote:

As it happens I am one of the "new generation". However that does not mean I lack experience or knowledge. I'm not a Supersonic or Nicklouse by any stretch of the imagination but I know more than the average joe. And if I take all the new technological "luxuries" for granted, why do I have a rigid SS in my stable??
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,832
    I don't get the comments either.

To me it looks like my old school kona SS
  • after you're all done with the tread derailment.... :lol:

used to find it difficult to find traction on my ss but moving your weight further back when going up loose stuff really does help. took me a while to find confidance in doing it because it felt like i was gonna loop the thing...

as for the flat pedals, i tried them back on my ss after a while on spd's and couldn't get up and of the hills that i could with spd because of the fact you can use the upstroke (not sure if that's the correct term for it but essentially pulling up on the pedal as well as pushing down with both legs at the same time) certainly worth a try as it makes ss a bit more, well, easy... :wink:
    {insert smartarse comment here}