Tour of the Peak

2»

Comments

• An awesome day out, despite having to retire after Tideswell after my shifter cable outer split...hope the people that crashed are all ok.

I guess we just have to take the organisers word for it about the spectacular scenery; I mostly saw mist and rain!

Does anyone know who the guys taking photos outside the Cat & Fiddle pub were; don't think they were with the organisers, but they seemed to be taking photos of each rider?
  • GregC
    GregC Posts: 65
    just got back from doing 98 miler ,7.20 on my watch ,pretty pleased with that considering fog ,rain and the strongest winds up on Holme Moss that I have ever been in ,not a day for deep rims !! One guy in front of me was blown off his bike ! --He's ok fortunately ,he just laid in the centre of the road on his back still cleated into the bike with it up in the air !! I think someone got a photo as well --brilliant !
    Roads were very slippy and I think everyone will need new brake pads . As for the pile ups there was quite a bit of target fixation going on i.e don't look at what you don't want to hit !
  • what a ride. first off sympathys to the crashers, heard one guy was air lifted to hospital! hope your ok. other than that neumerous collar bones and arms and a dislocated knee (ouch) thats just what i heard of. it was awfully dangerous on most decents.
    holms moss i must say was extreemly testing with the wind. saw some dude with an iron man tatoo on his leg fully living up to it walking up with severe road rash on his bottom. the whole event though was awsome. extreemly well run, very tough climbs at relentless intervals, even a nasty right at the end toped off with a free massage. totally loved it.
  • GregC
    "[/quote] saw some dude with an iron man tatoo on his leg fully living up to it walking up with severe road rash on his bottom "

I saw that tattoo ,I thought it was a work in progress and it was the top half of a mens loo sign -- I must get out more :roll:
  • Papapete
    Papapete Posts: 133
    Hi all,

Well what a day, certainly treacherous and dangerous. I had my first off on this ride, but not once twice! Fortunately I managed to finish the 64 mile, was set for the 96 but my second off came just after I walked up Winnat's Pass (gutted, got stopped by the build up of cars and could'nt get clipped in again). On return to HQ my hand's were a bit sore which got worse over night and I am now in plaster after breaking bone in right wrist (rode the last 20+ miles with this)

I consider myself fortunate after seeing some of the people on the side of the road, seen one guy motionless against wall.

I do hope all are ok, and personally I now have unfinished business with this event and am planning on returning next year (if the weather is better!).
  • popette
    popette Posts: 2,089
    did the weather make it so dangerous? Or is it the route itself?

I just took a look at the 96 mile route from their website and thought it might be a good one for future etape training - not if it's ropey though
  • Papapete
    Papapete Posts: 133
    I think it was just the weather as I have rode out through some of this route on a fine dry day. The descents were dangerous, but my bike handling skills may not have been the best. Did lose some confidence after the first off and was probably compensating too much with the brakes.

I am not put off doing this again but I would hope for dry roads.
  • pickled
    pickled Posts: 439
    The single track lanes were extremely slippy.
    The first bad descent was a narrowish lane and initially I think people just went too fast.
    There were about five people down when I got there and I had a nasty wobble at about 2 miles an hour but the guy in front went down like a sack of spuds at the same speed.
    Just luck I guess.
    However you'd think that most people would exercise caution from that point. But no.
    I was on the brakes the whole way down trying to keep the speed down, but others didn't seem to bother.
    The route was fine. I'd have no hesitation doing it again in the rain. Just don't go too fast downhill in the wet!
  • any photos online yet ?

provisional rider times are on kilotogo website.
  • sward29
    sward29 Posts: 205
    Despite the pretty poor weather I really enjoyed the ride although it was pretty dangerous at times; it was almost comical trying to ride up Holme Moss at 4mph into a 60mph headwind with riders being blown off (their bikes that is) all over the place. I know that on other forums the organisers have come under fire for the number of crashes and I can't comment on what caused each incident, but many of the dangerous sections were signposted.

I would however suggest that there were too many right turns at very busy junctions, such as at the bottom of Holme Moss, and that there didn't appear to be any warning signs alerting drivers to the presence of a bike event, especially on main roads. Whether these make any real difference to driver behaviour I don't know, but it seemed that we spent quite some time on fairly busy roads where drivers didn't give a lot of consideration to our presence. Perhaps it would have been quiter had the event been on a Sunday but I certainly felt at risk at times, especially when visibility was poor.
  • Chip \'oyler
    Chip \'oyler Posts: 2,323
    sward29 wrote:
    Despite the pretty poor weather I really enjoyed the ride although it was pretty dangerous at times; it was almost comical trying to ride up Holme Moss at 4mph into a 60mph headwind with riders being blown off (their bikes that is) all over the place. I know that on other forums the organisers have come under fire for the number of crashes and I can't comment on what caused each incident, but many of the dangerous sections were signposted.

I would however suggest that there were too many right turns at very busy junctions, such as at the bottom of Holme Moss, and that there didn't appear to be any warning signs alerting drivers to the presence of a bike event, especially on main roads. Whether these make any real difference to driver behaviour I don't know, but it seemed that we spent quite some time on fairly busy roads where drivers didn't give a lot of consideration to our presence. Perhaps it would have been quiter had the event been on a Sunday but I certainly felt at risk at times, especially when visibility was poor.

:shock: I didn't think the event warranted the £25 entry fee BUT blaming the organisers for crashes is beyond belief.

I did the event. It was my 2nd UK sportive. And I know why there were crashes - and it wasn't the fault of the organisers. I've never seen so much poor bike handling anywhere in my life!

People braking to a standstill on descents, (even some riders coming to a standstill to ride over some wet leaves on the flat!), people wobbling on ascents when getting out of the saddle and the best one yet. A guy gets out of his saddle on a slight rise - looks over his shoulder, then wobbles and comes off. I just managed to avoid him.

I know one thing - I won't be doing another UK Sportive again. And it's not because of the organisers or the difficulty of the course - it's because of the hundreds of numpties on the road at the same time as me.
    Expertly coached by http://www.vitessecyclecoaching.co.uk/

http://vineristi.wordpress.com - the blog for Viner owners and lovers!
  • sward29 wrote:

:shock: I didn't think the event warranted the £25 entry fee BUT blaming the organisers for crashes is beyond belief.

I did the event. It was my 2nd UK sportive. And I know why there were crashes - and it wasn't the fault of the organisers. I've never seen so much poor bike handling anywhere in my life!

People braking to a standstill on descents, (even some riders coming to a standstill to ride over some wet leaves on the flat!), people wobbling on ascents when getting out of the saddle and the best one yet. A guy gets out of his saddle on a slight rise - looks over his shoulder, then wobbles and comes off. I just managed to avoid him.

I know one thing - I won't be doing another UK Sportive again. And it's not because of the organisers or the difficulty of the course - it's because of the hundreds of numpties on the road at the same time as me.

So, every crash (including my own) was down to poor bike handling?

Sounds like you're better off avoiding these events in future, maybe a ProTour team has a place for you.
  • Chip \'oyler
    damoando wrote:
    sward29 wrote:

So, every crash (including my own) was down to poor bike handling?

Sounds like you're better off avoiding these events in future, maybe a ProTour team has a place for you.

Funnily enough I've just had a call from Mr Vaughters.

• sra521
    sra521 Posts: 1
    Definately not the organisers fault although having rode out there a couple of times I do know that the decent into Castleton could have been bypassed which would have meant riding on a decent surface but thats by the by really.

Having not done a Sportive before I was surprised by the massive range of abilities and what people need to understand is that what good for some isn't good for others we had 2 comments from people once when overtaking and once from someone on the side of the road screeming at my group to slow down on a couple of decents. I guess they were trying to alert us but they were fairly aggressive about it.

Having ridden in various conditions I have a really good idea where my limits are and never take chances so for people to shout at me is a bit alien. I brake before corners and ride round them of the numerous people I saw go down it wasn't cause they were going to quick it was because they were braking round the corner which was pushing there front wheel out from under them. These basic skills aren't rocket science there are loads of books and web articles which tell you how to do it. Guess there may have been to many dry weather cyclists out!!
  • GregC
    I agree ,bike handling skills were in short supply on many of the descents .Too many roadies just sit there peddling away with no thought to body position/balance ,braking skills .
    Why not get a mountain bike this winter and develop your skills ,having both wheels sliding in different directions in the mud does wonders for you .Even book a course for a day with someone like cycle active ,you'll have a great time ,learn loads and then really enjoy your cycling in the future .
    I thought Saturday was a real good challenge ,the roads were bound to be poor in parts ,but you often have quite minor roads /poor surfaces -especially in the hills due to frost damage- or smooth busy A roads -you can't have it all and don't tell me about the wrong kind of leaves on the roads !!
  • fudbeer
    fudbeer Posts: 118
    as has already been said you can always slow down when unsure and basics like being carefull when the road is wet and leaves are everywhere should be obvious.
    Currently I have been mostly riding a Specialized Roubaix Comp
  • Chip \'oyler
    Just another contentious thought.

900 riders - at £25 each = £22,500. (in fact it's probably more - some people registrered on the day at £30)

I know Kilo to Go are a business but for that sort of turnover on an event I would have expected a better first feedstation. When I got there there was only water (no carb drinks – I was doing the 64 miler, goodness knows how the people doing the 96 coped?) and just bananas and malt loaf.

Luckily I took my own spare gels/drink powders etc but I've paid £25 - I shouldn't have to pay extra for food. Isn't that part of what the £25 is for?

• GregC wrote:
    I agree ,bike handling skills were in short supply on many of the descents .Too many roadies just sit there peddling away with no thought to body position/balance ,braking skills .
    Why not get a mountain bike this winter and develop your skills ,having both wheels sliding in different directions in the mud does wonders for you .Even book a course for a day with someone like cycle active ,you'll have a great time ,learn loads and then really enjoy your cycling in the future .
    I thought Saturday was a real good challenge ,the roads were bound to be poor in parts ,but you often have quite minor roads /poor surfaces -especially in the hills due to frost damage- or smooth busy A roads -you can't have it all and don't tell me about the wrong kind of leaves on the roads !!
    so getting a mtb will suddenly turn you into a great bike handler,i ride both on road and off road and have seen just as many woeful examples of bike handling skills by off roaders not only decending but climbing as well.the worse examples are more often than not on expensive bikes.a lot of people on sat just looked inexperienced at riding in the wet and with groups of other cyclists.practice makes perfect (sometimes)
  • GregC
    I agree ,and that's what I was trying to say , practice your skills away from the big events .
  • Chip \'oyler
    Years ago before Sportives, most cyclists when catching the bug joined a local club. They'd go out on a Sunday club run, more often than not one of the older club members would take them under their wing - teach them road craft, etiquette, riding in a group. The novice rider would learn from more experienced riders, watching how they cornered, descended etc, eventually becoming a better and fitter rider. In short joining a club was like an apprenticeship.

Seems like a lot of novice cyclists these days aren't bothered about joining a local club. I'm not saying it's wrong it's just a shame because they would learn so much more road craft by riding with more experienced riders.

• Just wondering if anyone riding the TOTP on Saturday noticed any riders miss the final righ turn at the top of Chinley?

Two guys in front of me missed it and went straight down to the finish in Chapel. I'm assuming they just missed the sign post, and had their heads down, knackered after the past 20 miles into the wind, and knew they were a mile or so from home and just wanted to get it over with!

Back at the finish I was talking to some guys in the changing room - they'd also seen other riders going straight on at that final right turn. Then on Sunday a mate of mine was talking to some of his club mates, and THEY'd seen people going straight on. Seems quite a few people might have done this.

Anyone who did miss the final right turn, only cut about a mile off the route, but missed the last big hill, so would have saved a good 10 minutes. Other riders will be miffed because the guys doing the short cut will get a faster time. The guys doing the short cut will be miffed becase basically they didn't do the route, so their time is worthless.

Anyway, just wondering. Maybe not as many people missed that last turn (and the last hill) as it seems...
  • your talking about the right turn up a little farm track? it was counter intuitive cause the road sign said Chapel-en-le-Frith straight on. but it was clear as day so they must have just wimped it. i want to know how many people did the short version after registering on the long and bumping my time down. but i am just bitter. awsome route though.
  • yep, that's the one. Not really a farm track, but it was a narrow lane. Just a few miles out from the finish. And you're right, the road signs said straight on to Chapel en le Frith, but there was a little pink Kilotogo sign indicating a right turn for the correct route. That's the one I'm wondering how many people missed
  • olds-worth wrote:
    Just wondering if anyone riding the TOTP on Saturday noticed any riders miss the final righ turn at the top of Chinley?

Anyone who did miss the final right turn, only cut about a mile off the route, but missed the last big hill, so would have saved a good 10 minutes. Other riders will be miffed because the guys doing the short cut will get a faster time. The guys doing the short cut will be miffed becase basically they didn't do the route, so their time is worthless.

Anyway, just wondering. Maybe not as many people missed that last turn (and the last hill) as it seems...

A very similar thing happened on the tour of the pennines sportive. Where you turned left for the last hill ( the horse and jockey) quite a few people followed the road right whioch took you on a nice down hill/ flat and shorter route back to the finish.
    Now I know sportives aren't a race, but being my first ever sportive and looking at my time I was very proud to have come in 50th place. It would have been nice to know my real position.
    Bianchi. There are no alternatives only compromises!
    I RIDE A KONA CADABRA -would you like to come and have a play with my magic link?
  • In case anyone is interested I was taking a few photos of the riders on Holme Moss which I have now posted on the web at the following link:

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/ShaunP050 ... directlink
  • Shepley, you got me with the summit sign in the background, classic. number 673. you have also revealed to me who my nemmisis was on that climb. number 455 David Kinloch, you were prety mighty going up, respect.

nice pictures, big thanks.
  • Thanks for the pictures Shepley. You got one of me where I don't look quite so near to death as in the official ones! Cheers!
  • lukasran wrote:
    Shepley, you got me with the summit sign in the background, classic. number 673. you have also revealed to me who my nemmisis was on that climb. number 455 David Kinloch, you were prety mighty going up, respect.

Cheers! Not sure I was feeling all that mighty at that stage, or for the rest of the afternoon!

Shepley - thanks for the pictures.
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    olds-worth wrote:
    Just wondering if anyone riding the TOTP on Saturday noticed any riders miss the final righ turn at the top of Chinley?

Two guys in front of me missed it and went straight down to the finish in Chapel. I'm assuming they just missed the sign post, and had their heads down, knackered after the past 20 miles into the wind, and knew they were a mile or so from home and just wanted to get it over with!

Back at the finish I was talking to some guys in the changing room - they'd also seen other riders going straight on at that final right turn. Then on Sunday a mate of mine was talking to some of his club mates, and THEY'd seen people going straight on. Seems quite a few people might have done this.

I live in Chapel, (I tend to mainly use the bike for commuting into Hazel grove), and have had a look at the website to see the route because I couldn't believe what I thought the route had to be. It is one of the extensions to my commute.

That "little road" (Maynstone Road) is mostly too narrow for a car and a bike to pass each other, so having several hundred going down there could have been fun.

The two pubs at the bottom of that route between Chinley and Chapel are pretty good though...