Bike insurance

volvine
volvine Posts: 409
edited October 2009 in Road beginners
can anyone suggest the best insurance company to insure the bike please?.

Comments

• Slow Downcp
    Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    Your house insurer
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • volvine
    it is already with my house insurer but i have seen adverts specifically aimed at bikes and was wondering if it would work out cheaper than the house insurance as it adds an extra £200 on top of the policy plus the house cover does not cover it outside the home/garden
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    change to M&S, cover is included for any number of bikes up to £4k value each.

Dedicated bike insurance usually works out at 10-15% of the insured value per year, overpriced, often stringent conditions that may be difficult to meet, some reports of poor claims experience.
  • volvine
    change to M&S, cover is included for any number of bikes up to £4k value each

does the policy insure the bikes away from the home?
  • Slow Downcp
    Mines with AXA, don't have to specify bikes as individual items (upto I think £3k each, after that they will insure but you need to itemise them). Covered worldwide, including accidental damage, only have to use a cheap crappy cable lock if left outside anywhere. No addition to premium, included as standard.
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • volvine
    Just tried AXA the quote was ridiculous £600 £250 more than i am paying
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    volvine wrote:
    it is already with my house insurer but i have seen adverts specifically aimed at bikes and was wondering if it would work out cheaper than the house insurance as it adds an extra £200 on top of the policy plus the house cover does not cover it outside the home/garden

Wrong :D
    Mine added £57 with Norwich Union /axa and I got 2 coverred for £6k (have to name them, Pinarello and Dolan) and 4 up to £4k names not required.
    Had a crash and got £2800 for my bike to be fixed, including new kit, oakleys etc.
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    OOps actually think it was m&s who go through axa? Have to check, cannot remember now, ut was with m&s but was taken over.
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    volvine wrote:
    Well if it covers multiple cycles at £4k plus that would cost multiples of £400 through dedicated insurers so its not ridiculous, but get a quote from M&S, small fee to extend cover away from home. When you have trawled the market you may be entitled to state what is or is not ridiculous. :wink:
  • Slow Downcp
    volvine wrote:

I only pay £360 for full building and contents, accidental, worldwide, and business use for my wife who is a childminder working from home. :shock: Unless you have a £1million house and priceless art collection that seems very high - was that through a broker or direct?
  • mrchrispy
    mrchrispy Posts: 310
    +1 for M&S
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,831
    our insurance company can't even tell us if my bike is covered in a crash! We have had to submit a claim & all of our docs and they will let us know.

I did start hassling the wife to get it sorted, her response was "do you want to do it", so best to leave it to her and spend spare time cycling rather than dealing with admin at home!