Doctors or not?

Kiblams
Kiblams Posts: 2,423
edited November 2009 in Health, fitness & training
I made a silly decision on my commute to work yesterday, and bunnyhoped my slick tyred commutor sideways onto a muddy grass verge. Safe to say that I was on the floor before I realised, with mud down my side and unexplained bleeding from my left leg.

I somehow managed to land on the back of my right shoulder (bike flew out from under me to the left) and was winded for about 20 seconds after the fall. Had quite bad pain all yesterday in my shoulder blade when breathing and don't have much range of movement in my shoulder.

After a resltess night of not being able to lay on my side I am now suffering with pains down the right side of my chest to my waistline, so today aswell as my shoulder remaining as painful; laughing and couching/sneezing is quite painfil from my shoulder down to my hip.

I am at work today, but couldn't commute on the bike, should I be taking myself to see a doctor? :?

Comments

• ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    if you couldn't ride in then yes.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I'd go to a drop in centre and get seen straight away.
  • Kiblams
    OK so I was advised to see a doctor, but couldn't bring myself to do it on a weekend when all the drunks are in there.

All of the little pains have subsided, but I am still having issues twisting and handling heavy things, when doing either of these the pain feels just as bad as the first day.

I have never broken bones before; so not sure how it feels or what is involved with the recovery. What risks are there involved with not seing a doctor and letting it heal naturally? I am a little worried that they may need to break and re-set it if I have done something serious. :?
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Kiblams wrote:
    I have never broken bones before; so not sure how it feels or what is involved with the recovery.
    Broken bones are accompanied by massive swelling in the affected area and zero or very unusual movement (flesh is quite flexible when bones are not supporting it). The pain/discomfort/swelling usually gets worse a day or two after the accident then subsides, when it becomes crystal clear that you have broken something and it is not going to get better on its own. Smaller fractures can sometimes be difficult to see on an x-ray but if there's no improvement after a few days get thee down to A&E.
  • sounds like broken/badly bruised ribs, your ones at the back go up to your shoulder blades
  • Kiblams
    Forgot to update you guys on my shoulder.

Went to A&E last week and they checked out my shoulder socket, and although i can't lift my arm above my shoulder they didn't do an x-ray happy that there is no break (still can't lift it above my shoulder) and said I can get back on the bike; which was great news.

Apart from the lack of movement my shoulder socket actually feels better, though they ignored the back of my shoulder which is still killing me! :( every twist/cough/sneeze/hiccup and even burp feels like I am being stabbed in the shoulder blade!

I will give it another week or so an might go to see my GP if it is no better, it's interrupting my sleep and being generally very annoying.

Funnily enough riding around Cannock felt fine last weekend though, even the Chainslapper. :D
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Kiblams wrote:
    Funnily enough riding around Cannock felt fine last weekend though, even the Chainslapper. :D
    I get that a lot. The Chainslapper is very therapeutic =]